Synching to a Laptop folder, from the laptop!

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

colin_e

Synching to a Laptop folder, from the laptop!

Post by colin_e » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Somewhere in the forums I saw a thread about synching to a folder (not an external device), but I can't find it again.

I have installed MM on a laptop. My music is on a NAS drive at home.

I want to configure MM to sync a playlist from the NAS to a local folder, so I have music while travelling. Effectively I want to sync FROM a mobile device, not TO one!

However when I try to set up a "portable device" using the generic mass storage profile, selecting a local disk as the target causes a "no device found" error.

What's the trick to this?
Regards: Colin

colin_e

Re: Synching to a Laptop folder, from the laptop!

Post by colin_e » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:34 pm

colin_e wrote:Somewhere in the forums I saw a thread about synching to a folder (not an external device), but I can't find it again.

However when I try to set up a "portable device" using the generic mass storage profile, selecting a local disk as the target causes a "no device found" error.
I managed to kludge a way around this by mapping my "My Music" folder on the laptop to a drive letter in Windows using "subst". It's a rather ugly solution and uses up a drive letter. I'd still like to know if there is a better way.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm

The most simple way for just listening is to use the virtual cd function, this will copy/convert the files from the NAS to your virtual cd folder at the bitrate/filetype you configure it for.

Played/ratings/tag changes made from within MM will still be applied to the source files (ie your nas files) although you may have to run the 'unsyncronized tags' node and manually sync up ratings etc occasionally.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:54 pm

Which you simply do by selecting the songs, right click > send to > Virtual CD. In the MediaMonkey options you can change the location of the virtualCD if you need to do so.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Tried this and it worked very nicely, with one oddity.

I set the Virtual CD format to compact the tracks to a lower bitrate to save disc space, for listening on dodgy laptop earpieces, expecting to transcode from 256k VBR MP3 down to 160. However the tracks came over in their original format, including bitrate.

Any idea why the Virtual CD format and quality settings were ignored?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:08 pm

I'm glad that it ignores this (would make transfer long when copying large files and I want the originals).

The reason is that the VirtualCD is meant to use with CD's from which you would rip using those conversion settings. When copying local (or networked) songs to the VirtualCD MediaMonkey doesn't apply the conversion rules.

I do agree that some user would want conversion where as others like me wouldn't. So if both options would be available it would make everybody happy.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)