don't want volume leveled

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sn0skier

don't want volume leveled

Post by sn0skier » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:35 pm

so, there are a few tracks in my collection that use differences in volume to enhance the song. For instance, okkervil river's album black sheep boy has a track on it (for real) that starts out really soft, and then all of a sudden, a really loud guitar rift comes in. Or at least that's the way it works on the CD. I don't know if I made a mistake ripping the CD, or if there is anything I can do to fix it, or if it is a problem inherent in MP3 encoding, but that part isn't louder any more. It sounds really weird, since the guy singing is supposed to sing at the same volume the entire time, but since the music is adjusted to get quieter when the loud guitar starts in, his voice gets really quiet all of a sudden.
Please help!
MM2.5
Vista
5.1 surround system
192 constant bitrate.

Ok, so I just realized that it has the same problem when I play the CD in MM...and when I play the song in other media players...

I don't have the analog or digital audio connectors from my CD player connected to anything, could this be the problem? or maybe it's my sound card?

Well, it's obviously not a problem with MM, so i don't really expect any help, but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

----------------
Now playing: Ms. John Soda - Technicolor
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Now playing: Jedi Mind Tricks - The Darkest Throne (Interlude)
via FoxyTunes
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?

emalvick

Post by emalvick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Without knowing your exact situation, it sounds like the problem is that you have normalization turned on for whatever software your are using (or more likely your sound card). Normalization is used to compress the sound levels so that loud parts are softer and soft parts are louder thus making a more level sound. However, as you've seen first hand this can have problems.

Your best bet will be to look through the settings for your sound card (reach it through the control panel) and see whether there is a global normalize setting. If there isn't, check each program you are having problems with. A lot of ripping software give an option to normalize the audio. Make sure that isn't clicked.

Leveling in MM shouldn't have an influence in the relative loudness throughout a track. It raises and lowers the volume equally across a track (or album if album leveling is used).