Multi-column linked "sort ascending" possible?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Red Fox

Multi-column linked "sort ascending" possible?

Post by Red Fox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:35 am

Here's an example of what I want: I have my music organized in Genre\Artist nodes. Now, for a given artist, I want to go into the library window and see all the songs sorted (ascending) by composer, with all dates for that composer also sorted (ascending), like this:

1944|composer1
1945|composer1
1946|composer1
1933|composer2
1934|composer2
1935|composer2, etc.

I expected to be able to do this by first clicking on the "date" column header, then clicking the "composer" header. This was standard in MMJB. I don't want to have a node for composer because I might mix composers up within the same artist in the live playlist and I need to do this quickly at times. Right now, if I first click on the column header "date" and then column header "composer", I get all composers grouped, but the dates are random.

Can I do what I want with MM3?

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:49 am

Yes, just hold the "Ctrl" key whilst you're clicking on the columns! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Red Fox

Post by Red Fox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:37 am

Thanks TM...I figured it out. I have to ask "why"? Seems logical to me that after clicking one column, then the next, the sort would be automatically linked, rather than just random.

Regardless, at every turn, when I find something I don't like/understand in the Monkey and go try it in Winamp, I continually come back to the Monkey! 8)

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:54 am

But if you clicked on them it assumed you were building up a sort order, how would you change the sort order? Sometimes I click on a number of different columns because I want to change the sort order completely.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:54 pm

You might also like the Magic Nodes script available in the Scripts and Components forum. It's able to create custom formatted nodes.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Red Fox

Post by Red Fox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 pm

@Lowlander: In my first post I explain that I do not want a node...

@Trixmoto: I agree, it SHOULD be building a sort order...but indeed does not appear to be. It seems simple: Click the "date" column, and the library is organized by date with nothing else organized. Then, w/o holding down Ctrl, click on "composer". Logically, I would think that it would sort composers together, AND dates for each composer would also be sorted because that was the previous column you sorted. Instead, it appears that each time you sort a column, ONLY that column sorts and all previous sorts are "forgotten", ie as far as I can tell other columns are randomly sorted with no pattern that I can discern.

I'll have to say that this is thus far the only point in which MMJB seems to perform better than MM. But I will eventually get used to using Ctrl :-?

sn0skier

Post by sn0skier » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:03 am

Red Fox wrote: @Trixmoto: I agree, it SHOULD be building a sort order...but indeed does not appear to be. It seems simple: Click the "date" column, and the library is organized by date with nothing else organized. Then, w/o holding down Ctrl, click on "composer". Logically, I would think that it would sort composers together, AND dates for each composer would also be sorted because that was the previous column you sorted. Instead, it appears that each time you sort a column, ONLY that column sorts and all previous sorts are "forgotten", ie as far as I can tell other columns are randomly sorted with no pattern that I can discern.
MM has a specific order that is uses every time you click a sort by option, for instance if you click artist it sorts artist, album, track number, title, etc...
This has its advantages, because if you click sort by length, you don't want to have to click sort by title, then click sort by track #, then click sort by album, then click sort by artist to get your music sorted in this order.
What would really be cool is if you could edit the order in which fields are analyzed when you choose to order by a specific field. For instance, I would like it to order by artist, date, album, track number every time I click artist.
Hmmm....
off to the wishlist forum...

----------------
Now playing: Blonde Redhead - Top Ranking
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Now playing: Blonde Redhead - Kazuality
via FoxyTunes
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 am

I believe it just sorts by a single field as this is much quicker, so why assume someone is building up a complex sort order and slow everything down? If you want to build up a complex sort order, use the Ctrl key.

sn0skier

Post by sn0skier » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:36 pm

trix, it doesn't just sort by one field when you click a column header. When you hold down the ctrl key it sorts by a single field, and leaves everything where this field is the same in the same order.

----------------
Now playing: Devo - Secret Agent Man
via FoxyTunes
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?