Data Base: What is the best way to do this?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gimmeagig

Data Base: What is the best way to do this?

Post by gimmeagig »

I'm a bassplayer and would like to be able to search my database by the name of the particular bassist on the tracks.
I do have most of the CDs that are on my harddrive so I can find out who played on what.
But where would I enter this information, so that I can search for it?
Is there a way to rename the conductor field to "Bassist"?Or is it better to add a custom column. How do I rename it from Custom 1 to Bassist?
What would be the best way to do this?
steve_c

Post by steve_c »

I don't know about best, but one way would to add the name in the Artist field after a semicolon, e.g. "Brand X; Percy Jones". The bassist would then appear individually in the Artist node because things separated by a semi-colon count as multiple entries.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I would pick one of the four classification types that you don't use (tempo/mood/occasion/quality) and use that to represent the bassist(s).

This way they get a dedicated searchable node, and they stay out of the way when not needed.

To add new entry for any classification, you simply type the new name in the applicable classification field.

If you decide to go with a custom field, there is no built in node, but you could make a custom one with the 'magic nodes' script (in the scripting forum).

Other potential fields you could use are 'involved people', 'original artist or lyricist', ISRC, publisher or copyright..

it doesn't really matter which field you use, as long it doesn't conflict with other data you may wish to enter...

The main thing is that classification fields give you easy node access, where as other fields may not.
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

Thanks for the quick replies.
So I tried the 'Involved People" column.Seems to be a good way.
I entered the name Alex Al, who happens to be a guy I really like and yes, it did show up in my search.
But a negative side effect is that along with the title where I entered his name, every song with the letter combination "Al" was also there.
How can I search just for the involved people column so that I don't get all the extra stuff?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

If you click on the magnifying glass icon next to the search box, you can do an advanced search. This is, of course, much slower than just typing into the search box, but its something at least.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

That does nothing to narrow my search.I can't use Involved people and if I enter a name under custom 1 and select that in the search everything else still comes up.
steve_c

Post by steve_c »

I think you overlooked something: if you click on the magnifying glass, choose the advanced tab, then add a search criterion, open the Property list, then you'll see Involved people.
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

OK Steve, I see what you mean and it does work.Thanks.
forya

the bar

Post by forya »

The bar above the main window that says title, artist, album... (i'm not sure what it is called)

If you right click you can add Involver people into there, and drag it into view, then click that column and it will sort by it.
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

Yes, that's exactly whay I'm doing now.It would be nice to be able to create a column that you can name whatever you want.So I could sort by guitarplayers, keyboardists,drummers etc.
It would of course involve a lot of work looking up the players.So I'm ok just doing that with bassists.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

gimmeagig wrote:Yes, that's exactly whay I'm doing now.It would be nice to be able to create a column that you can name whatever you want.So I could sort by guitarplayers, keyboardists,drummers etc.
It would of course involve a lot of work looking up the players.So I'm ok just doing that with bassists.
Thats what the Custom fields are for. You can rename them under Tools -> Options -> Appearance
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
gimmeagig

Post by gimmeagig »

I see.This is perfect.Good thing I have not entered too much in "Involved People.Thanks!