Syncronize with external player

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

musicfreak

Post by musicfreak »

Hi,

i searched the board but didn't find an answer.

I have a portable MP3 player (iaudio). I use the sync function to copy all files to my player.

I have a strange(??!?) behaviour with MM 2.2.2 and my player.

1) If there are some tracks on the player and i start auto sync, then not only new files are synced about 50% are copied over 3500.

2) If i delete everythin on my player. Sync the whole library. All files are copied. If i sync again after the first sync, then again about 3500 files are sync.

WHY??

It is building a file list and then always syncs so much files. I might accept some 100 cause they change when you play (how many times played) and so on, but 3500 even i a fresh sync was done???

What could i do or is that normal??

Markus
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you syncing with an auto generated list. If so, is it possible that this list has different song each time. This is common if you limit the list in size, but have more songs that match the criteria of the list.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
musicfreak

Post by musicfreak »

Hi,

nope i use the function whole library.

Settings:

Copy MP3
Copy Playlist
Complete Archiv

Wouldn't have asked if the whole libary would be synced, but as far as i used the function it generates a filelist, asks to delete the files not found in the libary and should only transfer the missing or changed files.

I also think at the beginning when i started using the sync function it only transfered (after the first complete sync) the missing files (some hundrets).

I just wanted to ask as i takes so much time to sync that many files.

Markus
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well I can't help you more, as I never have used that function. But MM 2.3 should see many improvements in this area.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
jiri

Post by jiri »

Other possible reason is that you have some files that share the same filename on the device. E.g. if you have two songs in your collection with the same artist name and title, then using export mask \<Artist>\<Artist> - <Title> both these songs are exported to the same location on the device which causes overwriting everytime.

Jiri
musicfreak

Post by musicfreak »

Hi Jiri,

nope i also use the <album> tag.

I have no idea... Well i think i have to live with it :-)
unibass

Post by unibass »

Take heart, I have the same problem. I have 6228 songs syncing with an Archos player. If I 'Add/Rescan Tracks to Libary' selecting only the folders of the new songs I've ripped, then it seems to go away. I think it started happening just after 5K of songs but I can't be sure. It's really a pain since the Archos interface is USB 1.1 and the library is over 33 gigs.
jiri

Post by jiri »

You can both try MM 2.3 alpha 1, it contains a number of improvements for devices.

Jiri
artwwweb

Post by artwwweb »

I have the same problem. I currently have about 1200 tracks. I synched and MM copied about 950, even though I have only changed a few hundred at most since last synch. As a test, I then immmediately re-synched, wasn't even playing through MM, so nothing had changed. It then decided to synch about 850 files.

I mainly have ogg files, but have recently downloaded some mp3s. I wonder if MM is managing to set its internal 'no need to copy' flag for mp3s but not for oggs, or something similar?

Let's hope the new version solves this problem. Great product anyway, thanks for all your hard work.