Admin rights required to access CD?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rdelarie

Admin rights required to access CD?

Post by rdelarie »

I have seen some references to this problem in the forum, but unless I missed something, I have not seen a clear solution. I normally work from an account without administrative rights. I cannot access my CD drive from MediaMonkey, either to play a CD or to rip one. The drive shows up but is inaccessible. The CD shows up in Windows Explorer and I can also access it from iTunes, including playing and ripping the CD. When I login with administrative rights I don’t have these problems with MM. I can also use “Run as...,” by right clicking on MM and logging on as administrator, but this makes MM extremely sluggish.

Is this normal behavior? Does MM really require admin rights to play/rip CDs? I have grown to like MM and prefer it over iTunes, but this behavior seems very strange. I have Windows XP Professional v. 2002 SP 2 and MediaMonkey v. 3.0.3.1183.

Thanks for any help.
patch

Re: Admin rights required to access CD?

Post by patch »

I have the same problem
The admin account is only used to set up the system. No other user applications run as administrator on my computers.
Does Media monkey really need to run as administrator now?

Is is an access problem to the drive port?
Is it just a problem with the newer versions as I'm sure I could play CD from user accounts in the past?
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
patch

Post by patch »

patch wrote:I have the same problem
Is is an access problem to the drive port?
To answer my own question :) Yes

Installed neroburnrights, now MM works fine when logged on as an ordinary user.
From memory, neroburnrights changes the file protection on the low level device ports.
Would be good if MM had this option at installation or in preferences (changeable only from an admin account obviously)

Edit
BTW using MM 3.0.4.1185
Windows XP or Windows 2000 gives same result
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

Thanks for the tip. I did the same and it works.

I had an email exchange about this issue with MediaMonkey Support and this was their reply:

If the problem only applies to 'user' accounts under Windows XP and not to the Administrator account, this is often due to MediaMonkey relying on SPTI support (within Windows XP) to rip files from CD media (which is controlled by the "local security policy").

1. Login As Administrator
2. Go to Start -> Control Panel
3. Go to Administrative Tools -> local security policy
4. Go To Security Settings -> Local Polices -> Security Options
5. With Security Options selected, on the right side of the window, scroll down until you find "Devices Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only" Double click on it.
8. Choose Enable (should be disabled by default)
10. Log out of all accounts that may be open (don't use the "Switch users" feature).
11. Log back on as limited user and proceed to rip CD audio in MediaMonkey.

The problem for me was that, although I have an account with admin rights on this particular computer, I do not have access to this feature. But NeroBurnRights solved it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

As Nero Burn Rights is not Available anymore for free and old version is beginning outdated I've found Alternative:
http://www.fortedownloads.com/Poikosoft ... nload.html

Hope it helps someone.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum