how to add tracks without rescanning entire library

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pnj

how to add tracks without rescanning entire library

Post by pnj »

Hi,

MediaMonkey seems to have a fabulous reputation, but I find it difficult to do some very simple things. I'm not usually this bad at this, but I hope you can help me.

I have 5,000 tracks in my library. I add an album into a music folder somewhere. How do I make MediaMonkey pick it up without using File -> Add/Rescan tracks, which rescans my entire library and takes forever? Clicking and dragging doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

pnj
botijo

Re: how to add tracks without rescanning entire library

Post by botijo »

What I do is to include the album outside the main library directory first (e.g. \NewMusic). Then I fix the tags using the Location node, and then I "auto-organize" the files. That is, only then I move them into the main library. This way I do not rescan my library again.
nojac

Post by nojac »

Make sure you select only the new folders before rescanning. No need to rescan your whole library. (Assuming that you don't keep all your 5000 songs in one folder..)

A alternative is to add tracks to your library via adding new tracks to a playlist from the My computer node.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

nojac wrote:Make sure you select only the new folders before rescanning. No need to rescan your whole library. (Assuming that you don't keep all your 5000 songs in one folder..)

A alternative is to add tracks to your library via adding new tracks to a playlist from the My computer node.

yes you should do the my computer node in monkey's directroy tree for this. as nojac mentioned.

but you forgot nojac that it is possible to just browse to the folder/s file/s in the monkeys my computer node
and select them then click on add rescan, they are then added in to the database, and only those which are selected. :D

it is also best to go to the options panel and turn on the option to make a new playlist for recently added songs.
this option seems to keep getting turned off after you update mediamonkey, not sure why but it does happen that way here.
:o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
botijo

Post by botijo »

nojac wrote:(Assuming that you don't keep all your 5000 songs in one folder..)
As a side note, I found that keeping more than 500 files or folders inside a folder makes Windows access to that folder slow. That is the reason why I moved to a \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album> kind of scheme. I do not want to imagine what happens when you have thousands of them!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

botijo wrote:I do not want to imagine what happens when you have thousands of them!

monkey gets the whole troop and several neighboring troops together and they start tossing monkey poo at you. :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

You don't say what version of MM you are using, but if it is the registered version then File Monitor is available to you.
What I do is have one drive allocated to nothing but my collection and organised as below...

e:\
A-G
H-N
M-T
U-Z
Other

within these groups are folders - Artist\Album etc

Everyone has their own way of doing things but my point is that with File Monitor pointed at E: Drive and in my case sub folders included all additions and changes are automatically recorded by MM (as long as it's running when you do this work) or you can set it to run an auto scan on that drive and sub folders on MM start up.

Without File Monitor I would find it very hard to manage the constant changes and new additions to my library.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
pnj

Post by pnj »

thanks all, the my computer node is helpful for adding tracks! also didn't realize the purpose of the "add track" dialog was just to add what i wanted to add at this time. i thought if i unchecked other folders, they would be removed from the library!

all good now, so thanks!

pnj