Multiple CD Albums

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

thefunkyboi

Multiple CD Albums

Post by thefunkyboi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 am

I have been using Media Monkey for only a few days to try and sort out my collection of music and so far it has been great. However I do have a number of questions about the program and general questions on organisation - So if anyone can help me id be very greatful....

How do you guys store and organise multiple CD albums?

For example, Currently I have a windows folder system as follows:

Folder : Now Thats What I Call Music 69
Folder : CD 1
Folder : CD 2

Then each track has "Now thats What I Call Music 69 (Cd 1)" or "Now thats What I Call Music 69 (Cd 2)" tagged as the Album.

Each Track has Album Artist Set as Various Artists, and each track has the track number according to the position on the cd...

But when I use Windows Media Centre it obviously shows 2 listings for the same album effectively. ie.

Now Thats What I Call Music 69 (Cd 1)
Now Thats What I Call Music 69 (Cd 2)

How do you guys deal with the above situation? Do you ignore the fact that its a multiple CD tagging the album field as "Now Thats What I Call Music 69". And numbering the tracks 1-40 ?

I hope this makes sense - i find it difficult to explain things sometimes....

Thanks in advance

Paul

nohitter151

Re: Multiple CD Albums

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:55 am

That's how I do it - i.e. just number the tracks from 1 to finish and ignore the disc numbers. That keeps it the most compatible with other devices and programs. Others probably prefer to give both albums the same name but label the "Disc #" field with the disc number. However, some devices and programs can't read that field, so it can cause problems.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Eyal

Re: Multiple CD Albums

Post by Eyal » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:36 am

You can also put all tracks in same folder and name the album "Now thats What I Call Music 69 [2CDs]".
Then name all first CD' tracks 100, 101, 102... and second one 200, 201, 202...

This is a common way for compilations album found on internet. There are also scripts to handle these compilations, like Combine Album, and Split Album, based on track numbers.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].