.AAC File Tag Problems

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

PGR

.AAC File Tag Problems

Post by PGR »

I want to start a new music library by ripping my CDs to .AAC files and I can't seem to make MM write to the file tags. I can import the album & song data into the library and it edits, saves, and displays just fine in the library, but if I copy the ripped files to a player or even my netbook which also has MM on it, the album & song data is missing. This tells me that MM is writing to the library database correctly, but it's not writing anything to the file tags.

"Update tags when editing properties" is definitely checked. I've also tried the "Synchronize Tags" option in the "Advanced Tag Management" menu, but nothing seems to work.

So am I doing something wrong, or is MM simply incapable of writing data to .AAC file tags?

Pete

** OS = Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (SP1), Media Monkey Gold v. 3.0.6.1190 with AAC/M4A Encoder/Decoder Plug-in 1.05 (purchased)
*** Old library is .WMA and the file tags are complete.
PGR

Re: .AAC File Tag Problems

Post by PGR »

Well, I think I figured this out for myself: I selected the AAC file format when I ripped the music with the AAC/M4A Encoder/Decoder Plug-in. Consequently, the output files had an .aac extension and were probably in an AAC container. Media Monkey will play these files but no other programs I tried (including Quicktime Pro) will even recognize them. So I ripped again but selected the M4A file format. The tag data in the new output files seems to work correctly now and the files play correctly in all the programs I have which support AAC audio.

I've been a long-time WMA proponent and don't know much about other audio file formats, but the quality of my portable audio equipment has improved dramatically (iPod Touch & Etymotic ER4p earphones) and I need to re-rip my music library to take advantage of it. AAC seems to be one of the best choices for a lossy audio codec, but finding any detailed information about using that format has been a lot tougher than it should be. As far as how Media Monkey and the AAC/M4A Encoder/Decoder Plug-in deals with AAC audio, I haven't been able to find any information. It's been a journey of trial and error mixed with a great deal of aggravation and frustration.

Pete
Lowlander

Re: .AAC File Tag Problems

Post by Lowlander »

You can also use the conversion options when synchronizing to your portable device. It allows you to store your music in any supported format that you prefer and when synchronizing to a portable device convert it to a format the device supports.

For more on AAC and MediaMonkey see this. And if you have any questions about that feel free to ask, someone might now the answer.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)