MP3 Tag Information

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Henry17

MP3 Tag Information

Post by Henry17 »

I spent considerable time editing the MP3 tag information on my main computer using MediaMonkey. From my main computer everything is fine and all my edits are present. The problem is that I installed MediaMonkey on another computer and when I asked it to create a new database it did so but none of my edits were present. This leads me to believe that all my edits are being stored in some kind of MediaMonkey database rather than applied to the actual MP3 files.

How do I get the MediaMonkey installed on my main computer to make all the changes I made to the Artist/Album/Album Cover/Genra/etc information permanent and actually associated with the individual MP3 files?
Mizery_Made

Re: MP3 Tag Information

Post by Mizery_Made »

Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists > Check "Update Tags when editing properties"

That should insure that when you edit the properties from here on out, they will be written to the tags. Now, to write the edits you've already made, you could go to the "Files To Edit > Unsynchronized Tags" node. This will check that the values in the database match what's in the file's ID3 tags. If they don't match, they will be shown in the window with a yellow highlight on the fields that don't match (if the field is selected to be a visible column). When it's listed them all, select them all, right click and select "Synchronize Tags" (or use the shortcut CTRL+S)

EDIT: You should also check to make sure the files themselves aren't write protected.
Henry17

Post by Henry17 »

I have Update Tags when Editing Properties Checked.

I tried to Synchronize tags. It told me that ~8800 songs needed to be synchronized. I synchronized them. It took over 16 hours which I found strange.

I closed Media Monkey and opened it again and when I looked at Synchronize Tags there were ~8800 songs that need to be synchronized.

I didn't check all the files but I did check some and they are not read only.

The only thing I can thing of is that music is all on a Ximeta Netdrive (I have write permission) so that must be the problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I haven't had this issue with Ximeta. Do you actually have write access enabled (see Ximeta tray icon to make sure the disc isn't connected as read-only).

What version of MediaMonkey do you use?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Henry17

Post by Henry17 »

Yes. I have read / write. The blue square Mounted (RW). Also I can delete files on the drive.

Media Monkey 3.03.1183 Standard Edition
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you check the timestamps on the files themselves? Does it seem that the Synchronize Files updated the files or not?
Henry17

Post by Henry17 »

Some. The first file I checked the time stamp was not updated but I checked a few more and they have been updated. Of the files I looked at it seems like WMA files did not update time stamp whole Mp3 Audio did.

I did edit one file manually to artist = test went to look at the file and it had artist as test. Switched it back and it switched back. Time stamp changed. File was MP Audio. I tried the same thing with a WMA file and it did not update. The time stamp did not change.

I gave the second computer a better look and it appears all the changes made to MP3 Audio files are present but the files that are not updated are the WMA files only.

Some of the data in the WMA files was updated at some point as some of them do contain information I know I entered. It appears that the updating of WMA files stopped working at some point. That explains the ~8000 not synced files and also the inability to use the synchronize feature.

Still no idea how to fix it but thanks a lot for getting me here. Now I have a very specific problem rather than a very general one.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check if this Knowledge Base article applies.
Henry17

Post by Henry17 »

Thank you. It did help. I ran the patch for the WMA tag problem. Asked Media Monkey to synchronize and it did. The number of unsynchronized songs went from ~8000 to ~600.

The ~600 were not WMA but instead MP3. I tried to synchronize again and after that Media Monkey came back saying that 142 songs were unsynchronized.

I decided to try a third time but nothing improved so now we are stuck at 142 songs that are unsynchronized.

My plan is to check these individual songs to make sure they are not write protected. Also of the 142 songs with the exception of 5-6 the data that does not match is the date which can't be a coincidence.

Thanks for all the help.