Make MM recognize podcasts I downloaded prior to MM?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Zeus

Make MM recognize podcasts I downloaded prior to MM?

Post by Zeus »

Greets everyone! This is my first post.

I'm trying to make MM recognize podcasts I previously downloaded with another program. They're all in the right directories and have the right filenames; I just double click them in the list and they turn from gray to black.

The problem is, as soon as I close MediaMonkey down, it forgets all the podcasts I did not download using MM and turns them gray again. I can double click to play them and turn them black again, but MM is just going to forget it next time.

How can I make MediaMonkey acknowledge these podcats exist? It plays them fine, but then instantly forgets all that stuff each time I load the program. If anyone can think of a suggestion, I'd really appreciate it.

P.S. I hope the bold isn't considered rude here, I personally find it helps while scanning these types of problem-solving posts. :)
Last edited by Zeus on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Zeus
nohitter151

Re: Make MM recognize podcasts I downloaded prior to MM?

Post by nohitter151 »

What version of MM are you using? If I recall correctly that issue has been addressed in the beta version of 3.1.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Oh! Duh, sorry, I forgot Rule #1 of asking for help. =P

I'm using MediaMonkey Gold 3.0.7.1191 :D

The new beta you say? Interesting. Maybe I'll switch over to that. Strange as it sounds, I'd find the occasional crash a lot less frustrating than this problem.
- Zeus
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Zeus wrote:Oh! Duh, sorry, I forgot Rule #1 of asking for help. =P

I'm using MediaMonkey Gold 3.0.7.1191 :D

The new beta you say? Interesting. Maybe I'll switch over to that. Strange as it sounds, I'd find the occasional crash a lot less frustrating than this problem.
Well, just be careful. I'm not 100% sure if it was even addressed or not. I'll check in the bug-tracker to see if I can find anything about it.

Edit: I don't see anything specifically addressing it; I could be mistaken or maybe it is just that I haven't found it. Feel free to look around: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Okay, I tried following the "Migrate Podcast" instructions here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=108

It looks like it worked for 1 out of 4 subscribed podcasts (Gamers With Jobs), but the other three still forget the previously downloaded podcasts.

Could it be something I'm doing wrong, or a MM bug?

I'm almost positive I've got all the old pocasts renamed to the new MM naming conventions (<Filename> - <Title>).
- Zeus

Post by Guest »

Update: Okay, I'm having *limited* success with the following:

1) Right click the podcast track and click Properties.

2) Under "File Path", change it from the feed (i.e., "http://feeds.feedburner.com/../podcast.mp3") to a local file path (i.e., e:\podcasts\etc\podcast.mp3")

3) Click okay.

From then, I don't know what to do. Sometimes this technique works, and MediaMonkey remembers that I have the track locally. Other times it doesn't, and the file path is changed back to the feed path. Earlier, I thought MM wasn't re-downloading the forgotten tracks, but now it's obvious it was doing just that.

So, yeah. Need to find some way to keep MediaMonkey from reverting back to the "feed path" and forgetting all my changes.

Any suggestions? :)
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

P.S. Yes, that last post by "Guest" was me, forgot to log in, sorry. I didn't realize this was one of the few boards cool enough to *let* guests post!

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that in the interest of Keeping It Simple, I dropped the rename scheme, so now MediaMonkey is set to download all podcasts to: <Album>\<Filename>

The idea was, this way MediaMonkey should have an easier time of finding all my old podcasts, since the filename will be consistent. Didn't work. *grins*

So, yeah, at this point I've been able to manually right click/properties edit the "File Path" on about five or six podcast episodes, but the rest just keep resetting to the feed path URL ("http://...") no matter what I do.

I've tried changing the info while playing it, changing the info while playing something else (in case it's a file read error or something), Add/Rescan tracks right after, and various unsuccessful combinations.
- Zeus
ModoX

Post by ModoX »

Hi, I'm having this exact same issue with some podcasts. I just started listening to a new podcast and got MM to download all the previous episodes. About 70% didn't fully download, so I've painstakingly gone through the podcast's website looking at the file sizes and deleted all the files which were too small. All those files are now gray in MM, but it still keeps having the same issue if I get it to re-download them one at a time, some files it just will not fully download. I can sort it out if I download the files myself, but then I get this issue, that MM will refuse to remember the file path, and keeps reverting to them being grayed out. I'm just about ready to give up using MM for podcasts, it'd be easier to just deal with the files myself.

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm running out of patience.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

ModoX,

I remember I had some success getting podcasts to "stick" if MM calculates the volume, for some reason. Try re-downloading them, then running Analyze Volume. Maybe the fact that it writes the leveling information to the file helps MM remember it's there, or something.

Good luck.
- Zeus