Add/Rescan Tracks

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

LifeTheLiving

Add/Rescan Tracks

Post by LifeTheLiving » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:37 am

Hi out there,

Hope someone can help me, I have recently upgraded from iTunes ... And I love the responsiveness of MediaMonkey.

My collection is most likely on the big side, 325000+ songs.

I installed MediaMonkey, I imported the information from iTunes, it took a few days, but it worked. I played around with MediaMonkey, liked it and bought the Gold Edition.

Then I set it to level all the songs, it took 18 days running non-stop (this is actually great, I have a lot of self ripped Vinyls, and they were not all the same level and from time to time I had to ajust the volume level ... no more :-)

Anyway suddently it won't rescan my library without crashing. I can add single albums or small folders. But my collection is like folder A, B, C and so forth in each folder is artists starting with that letter. So I have tried to import just the A's .... But somewhere along the way it just gives a LOT of message boxes with a message like 'not enough space', eventually MediaMonkey crashes.

I know the specification for MediaMonkey is 100000+ songs ... is 325000 beyond the scope of the +?

I have before had MediaMonkey to watch my music folder. And it has before scanned the whole lot, takes about 32 hours after each restart of MediaMonkey ... so I disabled it and just ad the new stuff from time to time. But suddently it stopped working.

I do have auto levelling on?

Any ideas?

My computer is up to scratch, the music is on a 1,5 TB raid with a lot of free space, the system is on a 160 GB Vista 64 partion, lots of space, quad core, 8 GB Ram (about 40% free while MediaMonkey is working and never exhausting the resources)

Regards Leif.

rovingcowboy

Re: Add/Rescan Tracks

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:49 am

your getting the old out of ram alert error that happens when you have too much in limbo for the cpu to process anymore. so it toss's that alert and locks up the program that caused it.

i got that a lot and mine use to say canvas can not draw,....

only thing i think you are doing is trying to rescan all the files and not needing too.

if you are adding in songs only put them in one folder for temp new songs.

then scann that folder with monkey he will add them in the database.

make sure you have the option for him to create a new playlist for the recently added songs.

then you can go to that one and use it to edit the songs and then use auto organizer to move them where you want them.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

LifeTheLiving

Post by LifeTheLiving » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:34 am

rovingcowboy wrote:your getting the old out of ram alert error that happens when you have too much in limbo for the cpu to process anymore. so it toss's that alert and locks up the program that caused it.

i got that a lot and mine use to say canvas can not draw,....

only thing i think you are doing is trying to rescan all the files and not needing too.

if you are adding in songs only put them in one folder for temp new songs.

then scann that folder with monkey he will add them in the database.

make sure you have the option for him to create a new playlist for the recently added songs.

then you can go to that one and use it to edit the songs and then use auto organizer to move them where you want them.

:D
Hi Roving Cowboy,

Thank you for the input. You are most likely right about it's too busy and therefore locks up.

However writing the above I realized I had auto levelling on. I have tried to switch it off and then rescan a A's folder again ... This works fine, then B's folder and a few more. So apparently it can't handle to scan AND auto level.

I'll have to scan the directories (which I do need to rescan .... AND I have my own system of where my files are located and wouldn't let iTunes mess with that, nor will I let MediaMonkey ;-) So it needs to be picked up in the right place.

Now once the scanning is done I'll have to see if autolevel will pick up the new tracks when I switch it back on.

Regards Leif.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:21 am

You can use Library > Files to Edit > Unleveled to identify those tracks that still need to be analyzed.

You might also check out MediaMonkey 3.1 beta in the Beta forum as it has some improvements for multi-core systems. If that fails you should create a debug log as described in the Bug Report forum so the developers can see the details of the problem you are running into when you have Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed Tracks enabled.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

LifeTheLiving

Post by LifeTheLiving » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Lowlander wrote:You can use Library > Files to Edit > Unleveled to identify those tracks that still need to be analyzed.

You might also check out MediaMonkey 3.1 beta in the Beta forum as it has some improvements for multi-core systems. If that fails you should create a debug log as described in the Bug Report forum so the developers can see the details of the problem you are running into when you have Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed Tracks enabled.

Hi Lowlander,

Sorry for the delay in reply ... However even if it is late, I just want to say thanks for your reply.

I have figured out to run the check for new/added files, WITHOUT have auto leveling activated. It then scans the 326000+ library fine (takes hours, but no errors). Afterwards I the activate auto leveling and it seems it automatically picks up the added tracks and 'does its magic', again it takes time, but it does so with no errors.

So I'm happy to find a way to get it to work.

Was wondering about the 100000+ support, wondered what it meant, but since they said 50000+ before and now says 100000+, I fugured it officially supports more than 100000, but less than 200000 ... anyway just an assumption, I know I do have a library, which is quite big.

Again - thank you for your help.

Regards Leif.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:44 pm

It is always interesting to read tests on such large library, especially as optimization has been done with each Build we release.

Maybe your reports/tests will help us to put 150k+ tracks supported next time.

Also would like to thank you in the name of all users on forum for supporting Mediamonkey Developing.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Juke

Post by Juke » Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm

I have been having these same errors come up. I will attempt to turn off volume leveling, then run a scan for new files. I think my problems started occuring when my library was up to around 100,000 songs.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon May 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Juke wrote:I have been having these same errors come up. I will attempt to turn off volume leveling, then run a scan for new files. I think my problems started occuring when my library was up to around 100,000 songs.
you can also try doing this.
after you start mediamonkey and before you start the add /rescan bring the task manager up in windows.
find mediamonkey.exe right click on it and then on the context menu click on set priority then click on the highest one you have there. in xp it is real time some one said in windows 7 it is highest. not sure if you can do that on any OS older then xp. i know you can't do it on wins98 so don't try it on that one.

but then just close the manager and go back to monkey when you start the add rescan it should be done faster.
you can do this every time with mediamonkey and it won't hurt. but when you are doing large library's you can if you get the task status bar in monkey right click on it and set that to the highest, of course you won't be able to use monkey doing anything or do anything else on the system cause monkey will demand all the memory then. but you will get your large library's scanned or your huge tasks for monkey done faster and doing it with the task manager like that will make it last only for that current session of using mediamonkey. there is a program to make it a permanent priority adjustment but just use this and see if it helps first. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

RifRaf

Post by RifRaf » Mon May 25, 2009 4:09 pm

how big is your db? am thinking its around 2gb for 325k songs, does your file system support larger files than 2gb? just a thought

Juke

Post by Juke » Mon May 25, 2009 11:57 pm

I turned off automatic volume leveling and so far, I haven't gotten an error message while scanning for new tracks. Thanks for the suggestion.