Is there a limit on number of files to import?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

peabody

Is there a limit on number of files to import?

Post by peabody » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:59 pm

I am using the latest version of MM, but have experienced this in earlier versions of the 3.0 + program. My music collection is nearly 56,000 songs located in various directories on several hard drives. When I have tried to import my collection, MM freezes on the last file in one directory that has about 32,000 songs in it (my main music directory) and won't import any songs after that. I have managed to read all the files other than those in this directory, then try importing just this directory which works to a point, but the program still hangs once it gets to the last few files. I have removed the last files to another directory and they scan in fine so it isn't a bad or corrupt file issue. The problem is that in this state, MM takes up a huge amount of system resources and memory and has to be killed using windows task manager as it won't close any other way.

Lowlander

Re: Is there a limit on number of files to import?

Post by Lowlander » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 pm

MediaMonkey can handle many more files as some users have 200.000+ files. The issue of hanging during scanning generally is caused due to a corrupted file. When you scan does it always hang on the same file and if you remove it does the scan work again?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

peabody

Post by peabody » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:22 pm

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey can handle many more files as some users have 200.000+ files. The issue of hanging during scanning generally is caused due to a corrupted file. When you scan does it always hang on the same file and if you remove it does the scan work again?
It hangs regardless of what the last file is. For instance, the first time this happened, it hung on the last song from ZZ Top's Greatest Hits. I moved the whole album to another directory and scanned them in no problem. Going back to the directory in question, rescanning would hang on the new last song.

I have renamed the directory from "music library" to "collection" and "stuff" but still have the problems mentioned above.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Please try creating a debug log as described in the Bug Report forum so the developers can look into this.

LifeTheLiving

Post by LifeTheLiving » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey can handle many more files as some users have 200.000+ files. ?
I have 326908 files at the moment.

I can't scan for files AND auto leveling at the same time. But I can scan for files and THEN auto level afterwards.

It has never stopped scanning if i'm only scanning.

Regards Leif.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:38 pm

326908, Nice number.
Please note that auto Leveling is resource hungry on bot Pagefile, MEM and CPU so maybe that is the reason. I have 120k+ tracks and no issues.

Hardware details you can check in y Signature.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:54 pm

MediaMonkey 3.1 might give better results as it adds better multi-core support.

Eyal

Post by Eyal » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Peke wrote:326908, Nice number.
Please note that auto Leveling is resource hungry on bot Pagefile, MEM and CPU so maybe that is the reason. I have 120k+ tracks and no issues.

Hardware details you can check in my Signature.
Nice system that you have Peke. I've noticed that you have 8 GB RAM and use Win XP 32-bit.
I learned that 32 bits systems are limited to use 3 GB RAM max. Don't it be better with 64-bit OS?

I ask you that because I order more RAM to upgrade to 6 GB but will need to upgrade to Vista 64-bit in order to use the extra RAM.
Is there another way to use the extra RAM?
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

Peke

Post by Peke » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:24 pm

@Eyal
I must confess that I bought 8GB to upgrade system with Vista Home Premium or even Ultimate x64, but after managing Vista on Laptop I'm really thinking to wait until Win 7 is more stable. To recreate whole system I have not reinstalled for >3 years to temporal system like Vista is not solution for me, as only thinking to reinstall system with 1TB of important Data give me headache and not even talking about software settings.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Eyal

Post by Eyal » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks for put some light on it Peke. I think I'll follow your suggestion to wait for Win7. Vista is definitively not for me.
Sorry to change the subject.

Eyal
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

snarfdude

Post by snarfdude » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:12 pm

I've got about 60000 files.....

up until the last couple of weeks, I had no problem scanning the entire library....

now it holds at about 38000 and hangs....can't get around it.

any suggestions? if it never has worked before, it maybe one thing, but it has. I'm scanning over a network to a STORAGE HDD and using MM as a library database only.

SD!

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Does it hang on the same file each time? The song or the songs on the Album might be corrupted and cause MediaMonkey to hang.

snarfdude

Post by snarfdude » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:14 pm

possibly....I'll have to look into it. I don't have them organized by albums, it's by folders which are organized largely by decade.

you'd think there would be a workaround....instead of hanging, it will wait for a few seconds, and keep going. There could be many corrupted files in my library according to MM.

I could have added some stuff that it considers corrupt, which could explain why it's been only recently.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 am

No, if corruption is the issue you will need to exclude it.

Anyway many will use an incoming folder where new tracks are stored, this folder is scanned and then you either tag your files (Tools > Auto-Organize Files) and move or move directly (Tools > Options > Auto-Organize can do this). This will reduce the amount of files that need to be scanned.

snarfdude

Post by snarfdude » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 am

I'm using MM free. seems that feature is not on the free version.

In any event, i'm using MM as a database ONLY! it's great for that. I tell it to scan the files, and I have a database I can search through when looking for stuff. I wouldn't consider it as a player. it's personal preference.

I'm streaming online, and as such, I have a dedicated PC and automation software for that. That's why I want the database....MM has in the past gone in over my LAN and scanned all the tracks on that machine and have had no problem, so I can have a database on my production computer, and access the control room PC's files no problem.

I don't need to reorganize my files. They're quite organized as they are, and I spent a LOT of time doing it the hard way. by catagories which are tied into decade, hit, non hits and country. I don't need to reorganize things now.

If I have to look for another database somewhere, that's cool, but I found it strange that the scanning feature just started this issue. I thought it might be a network LAN program, but even putting it on the control room PC, it stops scanning. weird.