Auto-organise misses tracks and leaves folder.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MyCsPiTTa

Auto-organise misses tracks and leaves folder.

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

The second problem has been bugging me a while but this new one I've only noticed recently (though maybe it was always there).

I use auto-organise to organise any new albums I dump into my My Music folder. It does this but it sometimes leaves one track from an album in grey in my library (unlocated?). The mp3 file is actually present in the sorted album folder but it won't play it until I re-drag it into the library manually. As a side note, if I try to alter the track properties to locate the file, it is shown as it's original, unsorted name. And even if I type the correct the path and name, it's till greyed in my library.

My settings are:
-Main directtory = E:\My Music\
-Subdirectories = <Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>
-Filename = <Track#> - <Album Artist> - <Title>

My guess what's happening is that MM's folder monitoring is pickup up the new album and adding it to my library before auto-organiser has a chance to process it into it's deestination folder.

My 2nd problem is if I tick "delete emptied folder", it never does.

Other than that I wished I had used auto-organise on my old PC. Would have saved a hell of a lot of time.
Lowlander

Re: Auto-organise misses tracks and leaves folder.

Post by Lowlander »

What version of MediaMonkey are you using?

The delete folder only works when the folder is actually left empty. Sometimes there will be remaining files like Album Art. These files can be hidden or protected Operating System files and can be seen by allowing those file types to be shown in the Windows Explorer folder options. These files are common when Windows Media Player has been used at some point on the files and the files have/had Album Art.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

MediaMonkey Gold 3.0.6.1190 with XP Pro.

My main problem is essentially the same as this one:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... o+organise

But I have no idea what the hell they are talking about with SQL etc... :-?

You might be right about the hidden files, though they must have come with the album as I wouldn't have used them with WMP myself. I'll check next time I have a new album to sort. I guess that doesn't worry me so much - I just delete the container myself.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

MyCsPiTTa wrote:My guess what's happening is that MM's folder monitoring is pickup up the new album and adding it to my library before auto-organiser has a chance to process it into it's deestination folder.
Really no solution? My guess above I'm pretty certain is what's happening as in the song properties the folder and filename are stated as the old, "pre-auto-organised" path. But simply manually correcting this just says it can't find the file.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Well, I am now on MM3.1.0.1256 (the latest?) and this problem is worse than ever. I am using Windows XP Pro and have absolutely no other issues on this machine with any other software as far as I have discovered. I have not deleted any windows components, and do not have a problem playing, only with MM's automatic organising of files.

This is how I add music to MM:
1) I take the album folder and delete any extra files (e.g. nfo, txt, playlists, jpg)
2) I tag it in mp3tag 2.43 to get the artwork and any missing details. I also remove unecesary fields and make album artist the same as artist.
3) I cut and past the album folder into My Music, which is monitored by MM. MM very quickly takes these files and renames/sorts them according to:

-Main directtory = E:\My Music\
-Subdirectories = <Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>
-Filename = <Track#> - <Album Artist> - <Title>

The original album folder often does not delete itself which I have to do myself.

4) MM's progress bar shows files being added and volume being analysed. Songs are IN the library but when I go to play them, about two thirds of them (now) are skipped and become greyed out. I'm not going to go into the attempts I've made to get MM to locate the files as it is in my first post. Now I go into cleanup mode to try and fix MM's mess:

5) I delete all the album's tracks from the library. Then I manually drag the album folder (from it's new location, thanks to MM) to my MM Library node. This re-adds all the songs - this time "semi" successfully - many songs very often end up with TWO entries in the library, both of which become bold when the song is played, and both of which will disappear if either is deleted.
Going out of a few nodes in the tree and coming back seems to solve this problem - but simply selecting another album and coming back does not.

Again, this is exactly the same problem as mentioned by a user in this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

I can't believe such a major fault in such an amazingly useful feature hasn't been resolved. Does no-one else really use auto-organise? Or if it's something I've done wrong in my auto-organise setup it should be fixable right? It's hard to believe only two users have ever had this problem so identically.

I know nothing about programming or SQL or anything mentioned in that other thread, but it seems like the obvious solution to this problem is to tell MM NOT to begin adding files to the libray UNTIL they have been autoorganised. Shouldn't that be obvious anyway? :-? I don't think it does though if the progress bars are anything to go by. So where's my little green tick box! http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/postin ... =1&t=38501#
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I see that your drive is drive E:\, is this an external or networked drive? Perhaps there is some connectivity problem. No problems with auto-organize here...
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

No, E:\ drive is just a partition. I keep my data separate from my OS in case I need to reinstall Windows or something.

So no probs? You have auto-organise and analyse volume and folder montoring all on? Do you think it makes a difference that the monitored folder I dump the album into is the parent folder of where the new files get sorted?

i.e. they go from:
E:\My Music
to
E:\My Music\<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> - <Album Artist> - <Title>

UPDATE: No, I've just checked using a new "dump" folder - same problem. As I mentioned in my first post, when I look at the properties of the greyed out tracks, the location is set to be the initial "dump" folder, not the new folder where MM sorts them into. Yet SOME tracks get added successfully. This totally seems to point to a problem with MM's running order of tasks - the tracks that are lucky enough to sneak through the auto-organise before they are detected and added to the library are fine.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

in dragging the folder to the library node i think it makes a new hd id.?
but since you are on the same id as before it might be the partition stuff that is messing with you?
your C:\ and your E:\ will have the same hardware id on them.

that is the only thing i can think of this time. maybe one of the others or ludek or lownlander or steegy if he ever comes back in the forum can figure it out.
:-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MyCsPiTTa wrote:No, E:\ drive is just a partition. I keep my data separate from my OS in case I need to reinstall Windows or something.

So no probs? You have auto-organise and analyse volume and folder montoring all on?
Yes, I do.. no problems at all. Normally I dump files into a C:\Users\Steve\Downloads\ folder and they are then sorted into subdirectories based on album name (C:\Users\Steve\Downloads\<Album>\<Track#> <Artist> - <Title>) but of course I do the tagging/renaming in MM and not with some other app. I also do have analyze volume and foldermonitoring on.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

rovingcowboy wrote:in dragging the folder to the library node i think it makes a new hd id.?
but since you are on the same id as before it might be the partition stuff that is messing with you?
your C:\ and your E:\ will have the same hardware id on them.

that is the only thing i can think of this time. maybe one of the others or ludek or lownlander or steegy if he ever comes back in the forum can figure it out.
:-?
I don't know if the drive ID you mention is the reason for the problem, but I tried adding an album by going to the "My Computer" node in MM and getting manually scan/adding the album I wanted, and there were no problems.
But, I still think this was just a way of circumventing the problem of MM allowing mutually exclusive processes to run at the same time. It's not really the easiests way to add new albums. What way do you guys to it? Like I said, I just cut/paste the album folder into my monitored folder and let MM (try to) do the rest. (Actually I do it via a very handy "Move folder to..." link I've added to the right-click menu)

EDIT: Nope, actually I did the above with two more albums and they had the problem after all.
Last edited by MyCsPiTTa on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i use free version so i don't have the monitor folder option.

i rip or add from usb turntable to a temp folder i keep the wav files in.

if i rip i type in all the song info from the cdrom on the cdrw drive node. then select all the songs and click rip.
if i add from the turn table i just save all the info on the song i can with the audacity software then i just type in what i need to with mediamonkey.

but i use the add / rescan feature to scan that temp folder.

then i go to the recently added playlists i have it make. and adjust any of the info needed in the listview.

select all the wav files run the case checker, then convert the wav's to ogg format. then run the volume anaylizer
then sync the tags.

then use auto organizer to move the files from that temp folder to the ones on the other hd to save.

that is what i do here. but i have not done that with 3.1 yet i been busy on the skins. and stuff like updates from m$.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Oh ok, so foldering monitoring clashing with auto-organise isn't going to be an issue for you. Having active folder monitoring is the whole reason I moved to MM from iTunes. In fact, if iTunes ever gets that feature (god knows why they don't!!!), I can't say I wouldn't, at least consider, moving back.

Also, can you not use MM, or one of the many other progs out there, to tag your songs when you rip hem from cd, or even vinyl? I haven't done much ripping in MM but I was sure it detects the CD info and looks up track information from a database automatically. Or at least you could us "tag from Amazon" on the new tracks in your "recently added" playlist.

Also for me, volume analyser run automatically on un-normalised songs as soon as they are added. I have startup scan turned off (like everyone, got sick of delays at startup) but folder monitoring turned on so it scans and vol analyses anything new added - best of both worlds (when it works! :wink: ).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I suggest creating a debug log as described in the Bug Report forum. During the beta testing of MediaMonkey 3.1 there were some issues when multiple features (Auto-Organize, File Monitor and Volume Leveling) were enabled. I don't have the means to reproduce (no way I will let Auto-Organize loose on my music), but you might have run into a bug here.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Ok, I've done that, and experienced a prime example of what I mean. Though it was a little different this time - when I manually rescanned the folder location it missed adding a few tracks to the library. I made a debug of that step as well.

I will send it on to helpdesk as it asks in the debug thread, or do you want to have a look at it too. I means nothing to me!

One question; is it ok to leave the debug version of MM on there? I'm assuming it's overwritten my original anyway. Is there any problem with that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just send it to support, that is enough.

Yes, you can keep running the debug version or if you wish install the regular version over your current install again.