Winamp auto start volume/balance

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Northbynorthwest

Winamp auto start volume/balance

Post by Northbynorthwest »

I use Winamp as my default player. For a long time now when MM starts up and launches Winamp, it starts Winamp with the speaker balance set to 100% left and the volume at 100%. I don't particularly care about the 100% volume, but the balance being only left speaker is a real drag.

Where is MM getting this setting from? If I just launch Winamp without MM, Winamp uses the volume/balance settings it had when previously closed. Launched with MM, however, it is always 100% volume/100% left speaker.

I've upgraded to the latest 3.1.0.1256 Gold edition and this has been going on for the past 2-3 Winamp updates (currently v5.552).

System is PC based, Windows XP Home.

Thanks
rovingcowboy

Re: Winamp auto start volume/balance

Post by rovingcowboy »

xp home? is that all did you get the xp sp3 update?

if not why was there hardware issues. that update fixed lots of stuff and took out things to make xp faster.
but if you had the hardware issues then i can see why you didn't get it.
still your system might need a jet update from ms. have you checked the update site for any updates you need.

don't rely on the auto updates to get them all that is only for critical updates. there might be more you need in drivers or software area. don't use the windows update site just go there and then click on the link in the left frame for the microsoft update site. use that one it finds more things. :)

if the updates are not it let us know.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I could not replicate that with Winamp 2.95
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
ezdropper

Post by ezdropper »

I had the same problem here using the Glided skin, and with both Winamp and as well as the built in MM player.

Try installing the Aqua4 skin, setting the balance to center, and then switching back to your original skin. Worked for me.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... rted_Skins
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

not sure why that would work like that. as the skin has nothing to do with the volume control only how it shows up on the player as in what location and what it looks like.

aqua4 was converted from mm 2 so maybe there is a code missing in mm 3 that is needed for it to work right which is replaced by the converted skin? but again i don't see how.

mostly the missing codes are the other way from mm 3 to mm 2 and the converted skins need fixed to work in mm 3. but again nothing is in them to mess with the volume control.

as far as i know they only use a code to start the winamp exe like going to another web page they don't have control of that winamp player. so this could be a script messing with you. since both the new winamp and monkey use scripts. if you have any monkey scripts to do things for organizing like say big bernys auto rating script or some other one check and see if taking them out of monkey will fix the volume error, do it one at a time and see which script it is. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
mazingerZ

Post by mazingerZ »

Same problem here :(

Using Windows Vista Home
Media Monkey 3.1.1.1261
WinAmp 5.56
mazingerZ

Post by mazingerZ »

Some extra info I should have added to above post:
  • Windows Home Vista is up to date, all service packs.
    Media Monkey is Gold edition, just purchased (and installed) a couple days ago.
    Not running any scripts that I know of.
    Problem sounds identical - down to 100% volume/100% left speaker. Does not happen when loading WinAmp on its own - only in conjunction with Media Monkey.
ezdropper

Post by ezdropper »

mazingerZ wrote:Same problem here :(

Using Windows Vista Home
Media Monkey 3.1.1.1261
WinAmp 5.56
Switch to a skin that has balance control, set the balance to center, and then switch back to your original skin. Works fine.
mazingerZ

Post by mazingerZ »

Was using Bento skin for Winamp.

Switched to Classic skin, reset balance and volume. Switched back to Bento skin. Closed Winamp.

Loaded Winamp by itself. No problems (as usual). Closed winamp.

Loaded Media Monkey, which loads Winamp - problem back to same - volume is 0 and balance is 100% left.

Am I doing something wrong?
mazingerZ

Post by mazingerZ »

Experimenting around it occurs to me you may have meant the Media Monkey skin... are there any (for 3+) that have a balance control?

The thread here seems to suggest there aren't:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4&start=30

And I'm having difficulty finding one.
mazingerZ

Post by mazingerZ »

I can't seem to find any internal balance control for Media Monkey either - surely it's not necessary to find some skin which may or may not exist just to change the balance setting?

Not to harp on this issue, but the more I think about this the more ridiculous this seems (especially as I just purchased the Gold version)... This is an audio playing app that is essentially stuck - out of the box - playing in one speaker (if using the internal player)... OR stuck playing out of one speaker only (but changeable) if using Winamp, an external player.

I really had high hopes for this app, but this is just messed up. Please, please tell me my comments are unfair, incorrect, and I'm overlooking something very simple and obvious.
ezdropper

Post by ezdropper »

mazingerZ wrote:Experimenting around it occurs to me you may have meant the Media Monkey skin... are there any (for 3+) that have a balance control?
Look up a few messages, Aqua 4 skin has balance control.
mazingerZ

Post by mazingerZ »

slvbeard wrote:
mazingerZ wrote:Experimenting around it occurs to me you may have meant the Media Monkey skin... are there any (for 3+) that have a balance control?
Look up a few messages, Aqua 4 skin has balance control.
Perfect - tried it, changed the settings, and the problem seems fixed now. Thanks for the help! :D
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

again just incase anyone else needs it as in one of my other posts all mine have a balance control. and i believe all the converted skins have one and i think nohitter151's and eyal's maybe some of the older ones like irishjets, he changed his login name but he did the boston redsox skin.
i'm not sure if dreadm is adding the balance bar in or not he leaves some things out of his skins just not sure what all at the moment. :-?

but those give you about 45 skins that have it or should have it. :D
Swivelguy

Post by Swivelguy »

So there's no way to disable this "feature" altogether? Even though my balance isn't getting screwed up, I don't like having MM constantly setting my winamp volume to the same thing. I listen at different volumes, so constantly changing it back to a fixed setting is pretty intrusive.