MM takes a Long Time to Monitor Files at bootup

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

glennergy

MM takes a Long Time to Monitor Files at bootup

Post by glennergy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:51 am

Lately, I've been having problems when I boot up MediaMonkey (v.3.1.1.1261, running on Windows XP, SP2). I have about 32,000 songs, and upon booting, MM begins to monitor the files containing those songs. In the past however, this monitor process would take about 30 seconds and be over. Lately, it's taking A LONG TIME -- sometimes up to 6 hours.

Worse, while the File Monitor is running through each and every one of the 32K songs, it's gobbling up absolutely huge amounts of my computers CPU capacity (averages around 50% on a 3.0 GHz chip) and Screen Memory (uses more than double the resources of anything else I might be running, often up to 150K).

I always try to right click on the status bar and click on "Terminate" but that does not work. Neither does dropping the priority down to "Idle."

Right now, I opened MM about 30 minutes ago, and it has only made it through about 3500 of my 32000 songs. At this rate, it will take 5-6 hours to complete, and tie up huge amounts of resources!

Can someone help me understand why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it?

Thank you!

nohitter151

Re: MM takes a Long Time to Monitor Files at bootup

Post by nohitter151 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 am

Try to update to 3.2 and see if it persists. You can always just turn off the start-up scan too, I doubt most people really need to use it (unless you are making tag changes to your files while MM is closed, it's pointless to rescan at startup).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

PerF

Post by PerF » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 am

It takes long time for me too (20k files). But, as a new user who started with MM 3.2, I have nothing to compare to.

But I did find that on my machine, the scan takes even longer (and sometimes crashes MediaMonkey) if I use the option "Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed Tracks". The virtual size of MM then grows to 2Gb, and I get random SQL-errors. Is that the case for you as well? Oh, and it doesn't matter that all my files already are levelled, the size grows anyway.
BR, Per

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:55 am

Settings that might make things slower:
- Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed tracks
- Auto-Organize
- Analyze tracks for duplicates

Disabling these might make things faster.

@PerF
Please create a debug log as described in the Bug Report forum for your issue.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)