MM to Stereo??????

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

wdem

MM to Stereo??????

Post by wdem » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Been searching the forums for a while, and looking for the best means to connect MM to my home stereo. If they were located next to each other I would just use a audio cable from the PC to the stereo, but they are a room apart. I am not looking to control the playlists from the stereo, but just to have the output from my main MM machine redirected to my stereo. I have looked into a bunch of different media extenders (and am willing to take the plunge if this is the best solutions), but my wife and I like the MM interface. Any suggestions. I want to try and get this completed by Christmas to allow for good holiday music on demand.

wdem

Re: MM to Stereo??????

Post by wdem » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:02 pm

These all were very informative, but other than the long cable lack one thing I am trying to accomplish -- the ability to control play selection from my existing laptop computer with MM. The option of another computer that I remote control, while functional seems a bit much. I had hoped for an option like the ones that reference a Ethernet media player, but none seem to allow for control from the main MM install computer. Am I missing something?

raharris

Post by raharris » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:37 pm

I am a little confused if you have desktop and a laptop or just one device. ("I am not looking to control the playlists from the stereo")

Get an Apple Airport Express ("AE")- ~$100.00
Get Eric Milles software - ~$25.00 (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... kers.shtml)

This will allow you to stream music from MediaMonkey on the Main computer to the AE. This device will need a wireless network card or be hooked to a wireless router

The AE has adequate analogue output or a digital output for a DAC as desired

I (and several friends) have used it for nearly a year and it works flawlessly.

You can have more than 1 AE also and stream to multiple devices, nearly simultaneously (millisecond delay)

You can AE to your current network if you have one

OR

just setup a small network between the PC and the AE

Should work a room apart

The only rub gets to be "control".

If you are happy with creating a playlist and listening, you are done. I think that is what you said you would be happy with.
If you want to control things, then a second computer (cheap laptop) becomes necessary or one of the other devices mentioned

wdem

Post by wdem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:53 pm

OK, I got the Airport, and it is on the network -- iTunes can see it. I installed the Eric Milles software, but cannot seem to get it to work with Media Monkey. Do I have to use the WinAmp Player? I would rather use the native MM player. Does it need to be installed somewhere special? I tried both the default WinAmp directory and in the MediaMonkey/Plugins directory. I think I am close, but want to try everything before I throw in the towel and use iTunes.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 pm

wdem wrote:OK, I got the Airport, and it is on the network -- iTunes can see it. I installed the Eric Milles software, but cannot seem to get it to work with Media Monkey. Do I have to use the WinAmp Player? I would rather use the native MM player. Does it need to be installed somewhere special? I tried both the default WinAmp directory and in the MediaMonkey/Plugins directory. I think I am close, but want to try everything before I throw in the towel and use iTunes.
Probably you just have to change your MM output plugin to the one from the Eric Milles software (Tools > Options > Output plugins).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:33 pm

raharris wrote:Get Eric Milles software - ~$25.00 [...]
wdem wrote:[...] I throw in the towel and use iTunes.
I would suggest you rather get AirFoil.
Also 25$ and based on Bonjour, but way better than Eric's plugin... and iTunes... come on... don't...
Last edited by Gizzmo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wdem

Post by wdem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:39 pm

I figured it would be the plugin, but I don't see the plugin listed for the Eric Milles software. Maybe it needs to be installed in a special place???

I really want to avoid the Airfoil, as I do not want to add BonJour to my already pokey Windows system,

Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 pm

wdem wrote:BonJour to my already pokey Windows system,
Too late.
Eric Milles has Bonjour included as well.

[edit]
As for the Eric Milles Plugin:
It's been a while, but I am sure, you have to choose the MediaMonkey root folder in the setup routine, and then you get a new output-plugin which you can configure.
So if you haven't used the installer, do it and do not choose the plugin-folder directly.

But seriously, give AirFoil a go. Even Eric Milles himself uses it ;)

wdem

Post by wdem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Got it to work. Thanks for the fast responses. I needed to select the MM root, not the plugin directory. It all seems to be working fine (except the fact that the Airport Express does not support WPA/TKIP). Before I send off the PayPal to Eric, is there some overwhelming reason I should also test drive the Airfoil product? This solution seems to work fine for my purposes.

Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:35 pm

To name a few:
  • With AirFoil you can route your audio from any given source, not just from MediaMonkey, so you get the most out of your AirPort.
  • It is still in development while it seems that Eric Milles has abandoned his project since AirFoil is out for Windows.
  • It is more reliable. Eric tends to crash sometimes, whilst AirFoil doesn't (so far). I think it's because Eric is directly involved in the MP3 decoding process hence it also comes in direct contact with user input. AirFoil is a seperate application that just turns WAVE input into AIFF output, which is a good thing, because you can't mess it up with strange Audio-Codecs or too fast flipping through your library.
    P.S.: I made up just about half of the point above, but to me it sounds reasonable.
  • It's the same price and 100% future-proof... at least until Windows 8 ;)
  • Since you already have Bonjour on your computer there will be no harm done to just try it out.
  • It is easier to handle. You just have to start or stop AirFoil to switch between PC-Speakers and your HiFi. No twiddling around in the MM settings.
Well take it or leave it, to me it makes no difference anyways... you decide...

[edit]
Damn, I just saw that Eric is actually beta-testing a new output-plugin... so cancel what I said about him abandoning anything, he just had a huge gap between recent versions.
Now I can't tell you anymore which software is better because I only know Eric's 2.x Plugin from 2008.

Eiskrap

Post by Eiskrap » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Can anyone help me, I'm trying to get MM to work with Airfoil, but it doesn't seem to recognise it. DO you have to do anything special in MM to get airfoil to work?

Thanks,

E

Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 am

You have to start MM, then start AirFoil.
Make sure "Show applications" is checked in the preferences.

AirFoil should now recognize MM automatically, so you can choose it from the application-list.
If not, try to select MM manually by clicking on "Other Application..."

HTH

Eiskrap

Post by Eiskrap » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks, unfortunately when I start Airfoil it doesn't automatically recognize Mediamonkey, and when I manually add the .exe I get a "Application took too long to hijack error". I've tried Airfoil support so hopefully they will be able to help, if you have any other ideas they are most welcome though!

Thanks,

E

raharris

Post by raharris » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:56 am

I have no other suggestions except to note that I found the Eric Milles product to be far more reliable. I have never heard it "drop" music with several AE's working simultaneously.

I tried Airfoil, various versions, and could never get it to play more than a few minutes without dropping. The developers were helpful but could not provide asolution. Since I am able get radio streams through Mediamonkey, I have no limitations with regard to computer derived music or internet radio.

In addition, Melloware now has a product for the Iphone/Itouch that lets one control MediaMonkey. It is not quite as functional as the laptop->PC but you can search, select a playlist and see album art. $10 I think