Auto-organize with multi-value fields

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kathyj

Auto-organize with multi-value fields

Post by kathyj » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:35 am

Hi

I want to re-organize the file paths for my entire music collection into \Genre\Album Artist\Album\ with MediaMonkey's auto-organize feature.

Here's the tricky part:
I use the multiple-value feature of MediaMonkey for the genre of some of my albums, i.e. any opera would be classified as "Classical; Opera", so that it is listed under both "Classical" and "Opera". For auto-organizing I would like MediaMonkey to regard only the first value in the multi-value field, i.e. all operas would be stored under \Classical\Album Artist\Album\ instead of \Classical - Opera\Album Artist\Album, which is what happens if I use the default string .\<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\.
Is this somehow possible?

Another question: is it somehow possible to search within words, i.e. searching for "sonata" would find both "pianosonata" and "violinsonata"?

Regards,
kathyj

Mizery_Made

Re: Auto-organize with multi-value fields

Post by Mizery_Made » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:18 pm

"$first(<Genre>,1)" instead of "<Genre>".

kathyj

Post by kathyj » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Thanks a lot!

kathyj

j_kathy

Post by j_kathy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 am

This doesn't seem to work. :(

With the
\my music\$first(<Genre>,1)\<album artist>\<album>\<file>
I still get something like:
\my music\Classical - Opera\Maria Callas\La Divina\Track 01

-j_kathy

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:37 pm

j_kathy wrote:This doesn't seem to work. :(

With the
\my music\$first(<Genre>,1)\<album artist>\<album>\<file>
I still get something like:
\my music\Classical - Opera\Maria Callas\La Divina\Track 01

-j_kathy
That would indicate that your genre is listed as "Classical - Opera" and not "Classical; Opera". In other words, the genres have to be correctly separated by the semicolon and be true multi-value.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Unless the separator has been changed in the options, which may point to that not being handled properly in all cases.

j_kathy

Post by j_kathy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I did change the separator in the options menu to | (i.e. Classical | Opera), it is certainly not - (as in Classical - Opera).

The multi-value field is working perfectly otherwise with all tracks, i.e. in the Genre drop-down list or in the track browser I see Classical and Opera as separate options, not Classical - Opera or Classical | Opera.

If my changing the separator in the options menu is the problem indeed, that seems to be a bug though (I don't really want to change it back to semicolon to try it out - all my tracks would get changed too). :(

Regards,
j_kathy

Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm

The problem is, "|" is a reserved character in Windows. You're unable to use that character in folder or file names. As such, MM is configured to convert the character when it renames files, along with other reserved characters like "?" and "*". The issue here is, you're using an "invalid character" (in terms of filenames) as your separator. So when MM goes to handle your mask, it's converting the "|" character to "-", and then sees "Classical - Opera" as a string and not two Genres.

Coming to this realization, I now seem to recall another topic regarding this issue. However, I can't think of the proper search terms to track it down to check for any solutions offered in that thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:57 pm

But the multi-value analysis should be determined before any filenames are created. In other works, if you select first value, MediaMonkey should use the field value and determine based on user set separator if it's a multiple value field.

It sounds like a bug to me, either MediaMonkey is ignoring the user set separator or there is a invalid character issue.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

zephyr

Post by zephyr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Hi

this is the first thread I found whilst googling about auto organize with multi values

I just worked out how to organize album artists beginning with numerics, i.e.

$if(<Album Artist@1>=0-9,Q:\Music\0-9\$First(<Album Artist>\)

I wanted to adopt the same approach to handle album artists a-e,f-m,n-z (we have 4 drives of music, and organize albums by artists based on this).
It seems the range check (0-9) only works with numerics. I tried this

$if(<Album Artist@1>=A-E,Q:\Music\$left($moveprefix(<Album Artist>),1)\$moveprefix(<Album Artist>)\<Album>\)

but the a-e doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do this? Is this possible?

Thanks !!!!!
Grateful noob