Lost library on upgrade! Stored on IFS drive

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

Lost library on upgrade! Stored on IFS drive

Post by mcow »

When I first started ripping music, in the days before using MediaMonkey, I was storing on an external, formatted-for-Linux ext2 drive. When I decided to move back to Windows 7 MM, I didn't want to convert the drive, and I found a driver for Windows that would allow access to my drive without conversion. The driver is called "IFS Drive" and is found at: http://www.fs-driver.org/ I have the Q: drive letter mapped to that drive, and that's where my library is, and Mediamonkey worked fine with that through 3.0.4.

I have been putting off upgrading MM, but I finally got around to that last night. Now version 3.2.0 can't see the drive! All the library entries are greyed out, and the Q: drive no longer appears under the My Computer node. I tried rescanning, and the rescan dialog was able to locate Q:. The status bar showed that it was rescanning and identifying tracks, but the library display now shows TWO greyed-out entries for each track.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!! What the hell did you do that MM no longer can read my music?
Lowlander

Re: Lost library on upgrade! Stored on IFS drive

Post by Lowlander »

I assume that this might be caused by the Drive ID changing. This is something Windows does with mapped drives and causes issues with MediaMonkey as it uses the Drive ID.
mcow

Post by mcow »

Lowlander wrote:I assume that this might be caused by the Drive ID changing. This is something Windows does with mapped drives and causes issues with MediaMonkey as it uses the Drive ID.
I think you are incorrect about that. Weeks prior to the library upgrade, for instance, I had needed to change the port that the drive was connected to, which is far more likely to have led to a device-ID change, and MediaMonkey had no problem at that point. On the other hand, immediately prior to upgrading the library, 3.0 was accessing the drive correctly and immediately after the upgrade, 3.2 did not -- there was no change in the hardware at all.

Which means, as well, that the system had not been restarted; after all, why should I restart after a non-driver software package install? But when I did finally restart the system, MM 3.2 was able to see the library.

Now, my problem is that I have duplicates of all these entries because the benighted "monitor" function didn't recognize that there were already entries for all those tracks it was locating. If there's a "remove duplicates" feature for the library (as opposed to playlists), I haven't found it. Right now, I'm trying to Rescan the library with the "remove duplicates" feature enabled, but I'm worried of course that information is going to be lost. We'll see how this goes. I guess my other option is to Clear the library and then rescan. It seems that this will lose the "Last Played" info but not the rating, is that right?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Library > Location node. Do you see 2 entries for the drive? I assume you do and one works and the other doesn't. In that case just remove the drive that isn't working and you should have removed all the duplicates. And if this works the driveID has most likely changed as that would cause the double entry.

For removing duplicates, there are 2 build in nodes in the Library > Files to Edit node, but there is also a far more powerful script available: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=113
mcow

Post by mcow »

Lowlander wrote:Check the Library > Location node. Do you see 2 entries for the drive? I assume you do and one works and the other doesn't. In that case just remove the drive that isn't working and you should have removed all the duplicates. And if this works the driveID has most likely changed as that would cause the double entry.
You assumed wrong. There is a single entry for that drive under the File | Location node. You're just going to have drop this idea about the drive ID; your insistence on pursuing it after the detailed technical info in my previous post indicates that you just can't admit you were wrong.
Lowlander wrote:For removing duplicates, there are 2 build in nodes in the Library > Files to Edit node, but there is also a far more powerful script available: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=113
If the in-progress rescan fails to give me results, I will look into those both the Files To Edit features and the scripts. However, all of those appear to be looking for duplicate files, not duplicate database entries which is my problem.

It seems to me this duplication issue is a bug with the "monitor" feature (which I have turned off).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I apologize for trying to help.