Preventing Timeout

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Yerushalmi
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 am
Contact:

Preventing Timeout

Post by Yerushalmi »

I have a bit of a strange internet connection here at work, with some idiosyncratic behavior when trying to load almost anything media-like (mp3 files, youtube videos, etc. - whether they're to be played in browser or saved to disk), that I've only seen before at my wife's university.

I'll give the situation first in terms of youtube videos. Rather than starting to load and simultaneously play it from the beginning, showing me with a progressing gray bar how much is ready so far, it just gives me the circling dots for some time - and then suddenly gives the whole thing is ready at once.

It apparently does the same for some of my podcasts (but, oddly, not all of them). For most of my podcasts, downloading an episode gives me an "Updating Podcast ... downloading episode - [name of episode]" message with a progressing green bar. Which is normal. But I have one or two podcasts where it does the same thing as it does on youtube: it sits there blank for quite some time, then suddenly - *blink*! 100%!

This would not normally be a problem, but for the fact that after 30 seconds of no progress it gives up and terminates the download. I have to keep hitting "download" again and again and praying that this time it will somehow get the entire thing at once. If it's a longer episode, this can require quite a heck of a lot of persistence and an entire day's worth of aggravation. Yet if I simply double-click the podcast rather than downloading it, it will sit there and hum quietly for the equivalent amount of time it takes and then play it. So I know the connection to the server actually *works*. But when I want to download it as a file, MediaMonkey has no patience.

Is there any way I can tell MediaMonkey not to give up so quickly on the download? Alternatively, has anyone ever heard of something like this and knows how to get it to behave normally?
Last edited by Yerushalmi on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rovingcowboy
Posts: 14162
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:57 am
Location: (Texas)
Contact:

Re: "Giving up" on a download

Post by rovingcowboy »

i think you should try speeding up the windows explorer to above normal when you want to download something.
as explorer is the item doing the downloading. it might be the one giving up. it can be speeded up to a higher priority
and get the download but if you leave explorer at that higher priority all the time then you might have trouble starting
the programs and other items from your desktop shortcuts. so just use the windows task manager. and go to the process tab and look for the explorer.exe right click on it then left click on the set priority and pick the above or higher priority
because that way of speeding it up is a current session only way. when you reboot it will be back at normal.

i do this all the time downloading updates and other files from freeware sites. if you also have a wifi card you use to connect with or are able to figure out what your modem is called in the process'es tab then you can also speed them up
making everything envolved in downloading run faster, only do that on the windows task manager.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151
Posts: 23640
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 am
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Re: "Giving up" on a download

Post by nohitter151 »

Unfortunately I don't think there's any setting to change that interval wait time.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Yerushalmi
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 am
Contact:

Re: "Giving up" on a download

Post by Yerushalmi »

rovingcowboy wrote:i think you should try speeding up the windows explorer to above normal when you want to download something.
as explorer is the item doing the downloading. it might be the one giving up. it can be speeded up to a higher priority
and get the download but if you leave explorer at that higher priority all the time then you might have trouble starting
the programs and other items from your desktop shortcuts. so just use the windows task manager. and go to the process tab and look for the explorer.exe right click on it then left click on the set priority and pick the above or higher priority
because that way of speeding it up is a current session only way. when you reboot it will be back at normal.

i do this all the time downloading updates and other files from freeware sites. if you also have a wifi card you use to connect with or are able to figure out what your modem is called in the process'es tab then you can also speed them up
making everything envolved in downloading run faster, only do that on the windows task manager.

8)
I gave explorer, Firefox, and MediaMonkey highest and even Realtime priority and it didn't work.

Not to mention that it wouldn't have made sense if it did. Those settings are for priorities in use of the processor, not in use of network bandwidth.
rovingcowboy
Posts: 14162
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:57 am
Location: (Texas)
Contact:

Re: "Giving up" on a download

Post by rovingcowboy »

no but the explorer doe use the cpu and here it is the program that controls the download speed. not the iexplorer. which is not making any sense to me either since i'm downloading from a web site and the ie is already at real time which does
bring in the pages faster, but the downloads are not effected by the ie. only the windows explorer.

you would have to go in to the settings for the nic connection and speed them up to get a faster network connection..

there is the mz ultimate tweaker i found it on majorgeeks it works with win xp and win 7 there are some network tweaks on it that might speed up the stuff. but the most tweaks i seen for networks in is the program called " Xteq " its no longer free but it is the best one for tweaking windows. how ever there were some new win 7 tweaking programs that were free over the last few months. posted at majorgeeks.

but i've had bad luck with my network here the one computer is an upgrade from winMe to xp pro and this is a straight xp pro. and the nic on both of them seems to have stopped talking again like it did when the one was an winMe system.

maybe yours will work if both are newer system hardware then winMe.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Yerushalmi
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 am
Contact:

Re: Preventing Timeout

Post by Yerushalmi »

So after doing some independent research, I've done the following:

- Raise MediaMonkey's processing priority to RealTime
- Install a program called NetBalancer to raise MM's network-usage priority to High and lower everything else's to Low
- Set the particular task within MediaMonkey doing the downloading to Highest priority.


With these fixes in place, I managed to... download exactly one of the four files that aren't agreeing to download.

All three of the other files still give me a Timeout error.

I tried raising the InternetExplorer registry value for KeepAliveTimeout, based on instructions I found online, which I thought would help. But apparently MediaMonkey has its own independent such value, because IE's default value is 1 minute, and I raised it to 2 minutes, but MediaMonkey times out after 30 seconds either way.

Does anyone know where MediaMonkey's timeout value is stored and where/how I can change it?
nohitter151
Posts: 23640
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 am
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Re: "Giving up" on a download

Post by nohitter151 »

As I posted earlier in this thread:
nohitter151 wrote:Unfortunately I don't think there's any setting to change that interval wait time.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Yerushalmi
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 am
Contact:

Re: "Giving up" on a download

Post by Yerushalmi »

nohitter151 wrote:As I posted earlier in this thread:
nohitter151 wrote:Unfortunately I don't think there's any setting to change that interval wait time.
I thought that since I had better and more specific information about what I was looking for it would make a difference... after all, I wasn't too clear myself on what I wanted when I first posted.

Thanks anyways.
Post Reply