Anyone got Music Bee installed with MM?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Anti

Anyone got Music Bee installed with MM?

Post by Anti »

Has anyone got both Music Bee and MediaMonkey installed simultaneously?
Is it safe enough to do so, or do the two programs interfere or conflict with each other in any way (ie. messing up ID3 tags)?

Has anyone installed Music Bee out of curiosity, and then decide to stick with MM?
If so, what was the specific reason for rejecting Music Bee?

Cheers.
Lowlander

Re: Anyone got Music Bee installed with MM?

Post by Lowlander »

Never even heard of Music Bee, but generally you can use multiple media programs, but should take care in how you do so. I suggest that one is the master (the one that does the updating) and the other the slave (just scans for changes).

Be aware of moving files, many like MediaMonkey use a database and might loose links to the tracks when files are moved outside of the program, and tagging, as tags are stored in the database. If you plan you're actions you should be fine.

In the meanwhile request those feature in Music Bee that you miss in MediaMonkey in the Wishlist forum to make you a full convert :wink: .
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Oh I saw this program but I didn't test it.

It looks very similar to Mediamonkey in terms of ui.
I checked the skins in the Music Bee forum. And it looks very good.
There seems to be possibilities for custom panels too ( lyrics, wikipedia, ... )

And at first glance I can see it has some features that have been requested for Mediamonkey before.

Certainly looks interesting.
So if you install it, don't hesitate to give us some feedback or a review.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Anti

Post by Anti »

I've played around with it for a couple of hours now.

First of all, it's safe to install: the folder monitor and auto-arrange work almost exactly like MM, and are not enabled by default. In
fact, many other features are modelled on MM too. Some aren't quite as powerful, but some are better than MM's implementations.
It also has a few unique, useful features of its own. In addition, the UI feels more solid, logical & stylish, and less 'cobbled together'.

Overall it's very impressive considering it is completely free and built/maintained by one guy 'for fun'.
Personally I'm going to keep using MM3 for now, and if MM4 is a flop, then I might try switching to MB.
It's definitely staying in the back of my mind as a viable alternative to MM.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Anti wrote:Personally I'm going to keep using MM3 for now, and if MM4 is a flop, then I might try switching to MB
If MM4 is a flop? why don't keep using MM3 then. IMO it's by far THE best music management software on the market.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Anti

Post by Anti »

> If MM4 is a flop? why don't keep using MM3 then.
> IMO it's by far THE best music management software on the market.

MM3 has its share of small annoyances, which is why I wanted to try MusicBee. On the face of it, MB looks like it could lessen some of those annoyances at the cost of slightly less customisation, and it also has some very well-thought-out features that MM either doesn't have or has implemented clumsily.

You're right that it would be a small downgrade moving from MM3 to the current MB. But if Ventis screw the pooch with MM4, and MM3 only has bug releases, Music Bee (which is being very actively developed) might seem quite attractive.

I've got a lifetime license, and will be trying out MM4. But, MusicMatch used to be good until v10; Skype was good until v4; MS Office was good until 2010. Software companies have a habit of screwing up their software. MM may simply go in a direction I don't like, so it's nice to know there is a plausible alternative being developed.
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Anti.
I been using Musicbee for a few months now and your're right it's a nice alternative, I like some of the features that are just standard with the program, The Lyrics, and the Bio feed.
The Artist Visualizer is way cool BUT not sure if you've used it, It saves .DAT files under Artwork, so keep a eye on the folder if you are worried about file space. It also keeps .Dat files in the Now Playing folder in \Applicatin Data, but it seems to only keep 10 current at a time, I been watching those folders.
Thought you might wanna know.
DazB

Post by DazB »

Hi,

I played with it briefly, but what concerned me was there was no external means to access the database (password protected SQLite I think).

Daz
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Anti wrote:...the MB UI feels more solid, logical & stylish, and less 'cobbled together'.... if MM4 is a flop, then I might try switching to MB. It's definitely staying in the back of my mind as a viable alternative to MM.
Anti wrote:..MM3 has its share of small annoyances, ... On the face of it, MB looks like it could lessen some of those annoyances at the cost of slightly less customisation, and it also has some very well-thought-out features that MM either doesn't have or has implemented clumsily.

I've got a lifetime license, and will be trying out MM4. But, MusicMatch used to be good until v10; Skype was good until v4; MS Office was good until 2010. Software companies have a habit of screwing up their software. MM may simply go in a direction I don't like, so it's nice to know there is a plausible alternative being developed.
Well said Anti.
You have voiced many of the concerns I share with you - esp "MM4 may simply go in a direction I don't like".
But then developers do not consider our Lifetime Licenses they are pushing what's popular [video will attract more sales] rather than fixing the "small annoyances" of the Music file management functionality.

@MB users, do keep us advised of your MB findings.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Anti

Post by Anti »

> [video will attract more sales]

Ah, I didn't even know that. I've no interest in yet another program that plays video (VLC is king, WMP in Win7 is good & Picassa is handy for playing and uploading your own videos). So I hope this feature is in addition to improving the tag-handling, UI and networking for music.

If Ventis haven't incorporated the most popular scripts into the UI natively, and are expecting users to cope with reduced functionality whilst the scripters are left to recreate their V3 scripts for the new version, then that would make me change to MB. I'd also change if MM became bloated and slower. However, I'm not being fickle - I do want MediaMonkey to succeed. I feel a certain amount of loyalty and will give MM4 a very fair shot. I don't regret buying the lifetime license for a moment; MM3 has clearly been the best player around since its inception and worth every cent so far.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Anti wrote:> ... I hope this feature is in addition to improving the tag-handling, UI and networking for music.... I do want MediaMonkey to succeed.
I agree.
We require improvements to basic music file functionality and yes, above all... I do want MediaMonkey to succeed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Video is actually something that has been asked a lot and long rants have been left about MediaMonkey being MusicMonkey as it didn't support video. So the addition has to do with listening to what users want.

I didn't care for video myself until I found out that tags can be saved to the files. If MediaMonkey can provide the tagging backend for my video files to then be used on an HTPC application I would definitely start using video in MediaMonkey. Otherwise it will sit idle like Podcasts.
Anti wrote:So I hope this feature is in addition to improving the tag-handling, UI and networking for music.
Networking is addressed with UPnP being available in MediaMonkey 4. UI is personal taste, what one likes the other dislikes. And I hope you voiced specifics as to what improvements you'd like to see tag-handling in the Wishlist forum.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

For me, MM adding video is not about the playback. Yes, there are tons of apps already great for playing video. The point (at least for me) is that MM is such a great aggregator - you can easily maintain a library of your music and now you can maintain a library of your video files with metadata/art/ etc. Not to mention that you can use that information to rename files, place them into directories (auto-organize) etc. Add in the ability to stream music and videos to and from over the network -- I don't see how you can't be excited about the new features.

And seriously - for you people thinking this will bloat MM - try the beta. It hasn't slowed one bit from MM3.
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
gilesjp

Post by gilesjp »

On topic I have MM 3 and 4 installed with Musicbee and have not had a problem. They play very well together.
snub

Post by snub »

I don't have MM but have been using MB off and on for some years now. I'm actually looking for a replacement now. I love all the features and functionality of MB, but what has finally prompted me to change is the fact that MB makes duplicates of your entire music collection at first use and at the drop of a hat every time you rearrange your database. I ended up having five complete copies of my entire music collection at last uninstall, this can really eat HD space!