Not Enough Storage is available to process this command

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

LifeTheLiving

Not Enough Storage is available to process this command

Post by LifeTheLiving » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:41 am

Until the Error is fixed by the guys at MediaMonkey, here is a workable workaround to the problem caused by the two errors:

Thread creation error: not enough storage is available to process this command

Not enough storage is available to process this command

Reason:

I have from time to time during the years I have used MediaMonkey Gold received the above errors about every 6 months. And in the beginning it really took a long time to find solutions, because I have data in the MediaMonkey database MM.DB, especially play count, which I do not want to lose.

What is Happening:

You try to ADD / Rescan tracks to the library. Suddenly boxes appear on the screen one by one on top of each other with the above error messages. If you don’t do anything, MediaMonkey eventually stops responding. And you can only close it down through Windows Task manager.

I have asked for help before and people point out that the above messages are Windows Error Messages, so it is most likely a windows fault. I have in my earlier searches for a solution found ways to increase the number of allowed threads in windows, which may have helped for awhile.

This time when it happened I was either going to find a solution or a workaround or change my media player. I like MediaMonkey player … So I took some time to investigate and am now sharing the result with you …

It is not a general Windows problem. Off course you need to check that you are not short of resources, but my system has a 4 cores processor, 8 GB memory, 5.45 TB of hard disk space. When it starts to happen I have 3 GB of memory free and about 1.90 TB of hard disk space, so it was NOT a resource problem.

If you start Windows Task Manager, and choose the Processes tab, then I can see that MediaMonkey uses about 24.000K ot 35.000K of Memory (Private Working Space), when it runs normally.

I have a rather large music collection, I have 431,000+ songs in my playlist, so I work with a large MM.DB (MediaMonkey Database) 1.3 TB.

When I do a normal Add / Rescan tracks to the library, there is a small increase in the memory used, if I do more things at once, like playing music, viewing playlists, the memory usage increases. But nothing dangerous and MediaMonkey does not give errors.

What Goes Wrong:

I am not sure why exactly it happens.

But it seems to me, that something went wrong in the MM.DB. Once it has gone wrong MediaMonkey needs to do something different during the ADD / Rescan tracks to the library, so the scan takes about 5 to 7 times longer than a scan, when the fault isn’t active.

How to you know, that things have gone wrong? In my system I can see in Windows Task Manager under the Processes tab the memory usage of MediaMonkey. When it is wrong and I start a scan the memory count just VERY steadily increases by aprox 1.000K every second. Once it reaches somewhere between 1.740.000K and 1.750.000K memory it apparently hits a memory loft, the maximum memory MediaMonkey is allowed, at that point the above errors start to happen.

When you are doing the scan the memory use is increased 1.000K every 1 second. However when the scan stops the memory leak stops too. However the used memory is not released again.

The Goal:

I have found, that once the fault happens, then MediaMonkey needs to rescan the whole library to get rid of the fault and work normally.

I have found, that once a scan is started and then stops successfully and saves the result, then there is no more memory leak for the files scanned.

So in my case, I need to scan the whole library again in order to get back to normal.

The Challenge:

I need to scan the library in small portions, so the memory count doesn’t hit 1,740,000K before the scan is over and successfully saved.

I have my music library in folders, like A, B, C …. Various, Musicals etc. In each folder there are a number of artist folders and in each artist folder there is album folders.

I found out, that my G folder, which has 84,1 of files consisting of 18,452 songs. This folder can just be scanned in one go and finish just before the memory count reaches 1.740.000K

What to Do:

First you have to find your memory loft for MediaMonkey. Open Windows Task Manager and look at the Processes tab. Start a scan. Look at the memory usage for MediaMonkey, see it counting up and up. When the first error box comes and the memory usage stops counting up you have found out how much memory MediaMonkey can use in your system, this is your memory loft.

IMPORTANT: because MediaMonkey doesn’t clear the used memory after a scan when this fault is active, it is VERY important to quit MediaMonkey after every successful scan and then restart MediaMonkey, this way the memory is cleared and you can do the next scan.

So this Is what I did. I started to scan folder A. However before the scan was finished MediaMonkey memory usage reached 1.740.000K and the boxes started to pop up one by one on my screen.

I found I had two options:

Option 1: let the boxes appear. When there is about 50 boxes highlight the last box and hold down the ESC key. The boxes disappear. Keep doing this as long as the scan is in progress. This will allow the scan to complete and save the result.

It is important if you choose this option, that you do NOT play music or change settings in MediaMonkey after the memory loft is reached. This will give other errors, which means that you cannot close MediaMonkey down normally.

Option 2: I could take the last half of the folders in my A folder and move to a different folder (preferable on the same drive otherwise it takes too long to move). Then I rescan the remaining folders in my A folder which can be done before it reaches the memory loft of 1.740.000K – REMEMBER at the end of the scan MediaMonkey askes if it should remove the songs not found, DO NOT DO THIS!! Because then you will lose the count information and other information for the missing files. Then I quit MediaMonkey, I move the folders back into the A folder. I then rescan the A folder to add the last files too.

Because MediaMonkey successfully scanned and saved the first part of my A folder, then the memory leak doesn’t start until it begins to scan the first of the files which have just been moved back to the A folder and because it is only half of the A folder, the scan of the last folders completes and is saved before MediaMonkey Memory reaches 1.740.00K

So in this way I go through all the folders with my music and rescan all the folders in small pieces. Once the files are all scanned MediaMonkey and Add / Recans files to library works normally again, including scanning 5 to 7 times faster than during the scan where MediaMonkey apparently repairs something which went wrong at the time this fault occoured.

Now I am reasonably safe until about 6 months time, when it likely will happen again ... Unless it is fixed.

Lowlander

Re: Not Enough Storage is available to process this command

Post by Lowlander » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 am

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)