Yet another splash screen freeze...

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Zarg Weewah

Yet another splash screen freeze...

Post by Zarg Weewah »

Hello,
I foolishly tried to install some skins into MM4 (UMP, Vision, ION & Noir) and now I get the dreaded freeze. Multiple re-installs had no effect.
Running with /NoSplash shows the underlying dialog box: "Unable to Replace Image", which, when closed was closely followed by "Error initializing application".
Installing the debug version shows the whole thing grinds to a halt after the line...

00000057 1.36672878 [7648] Going to load player skin.

Is there any simple way to change a setting in the .ini or somewhere else, to get the program to revert to its default skin?

Thanks

[XP SP3, AMD64 X2 4400+ 3GB RAM, MM version 4.0.0.1459]
nohitter151

Re: Yet another splash screen freeze...

Post by nohitter151 »

Strange, where did you get these skins from? As far as I know they should not cause any problem when MM loads.

At any rate you could simply delete the offending skin files from the MediaMonkey\Skins\ folder, MM will revert to whatever skin is left upon startup.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

I simply went to the www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/ skins area and found a few nice ones.
They were all of the type .mmip, so I double clicked on the installer package to load them. Unfortunately, I've already looked in mediamonkey's skins folder and none of them appear in there. A global search wasn't very successful either. I don't know where else to look for them.
Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

I know where the skins folder is, and the new skins aren't in there. I've done a global search of the entire PC, and nothing with the new skin's names is found.
There is only the one MM install on this machine.
BTW, the program worked flawlessly up until I tried to install the new skins.
I suspect that something went amiss when trying to install the skin packages (.mmip files) and some sort of corruption occurred. I just like to know if it's possible to edit one of the .ini files or modify some other config to fix the problem.
I searched within the .ini file in \local settings\appdata\mediamonkey for anything related to these new skins but haven't found anything

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thx
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

As you installed the skins in MM4 they would be in the folder:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Skins

Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

Thanks for posting, but I'm using XP.
There's an empty skins folder in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\MediaMonkey
and one with the default set (Default, Glided, Pulse & Vitreous) in C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Skins

As I said, I've searched the entire disk for the 'new' skins (UMP, Vision, ION & Noir) and they can't be found.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Zarg Weewah wrote: As I said, I've searched the entire disk for the 'new' skins (UMP, Vision, ION & Noir) and they can't be found.
You mentioned the correct folder for XP, so it seems that the skins were not installed at all!

Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

You mentioned the correct folder for XP, so it seems that the skins were not installed at all!
So that brings me back to my original problem... is there any way to reset the skin to default. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, using CC to clear orphan entries etc. to no avail.
I really like the functionality of MM and I'd really like to keep my ratings & usage stats if at all possible, but at this rate, I'll have to change to Foobar or Songbird because it's just not usable.
Even on the non-skinned version, an application error pops up, and then the player controls are not visible in the player panel (though the lists seem to display correctly)

Any help appreciated
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

If the unskinned version also doesn't work, then your issue is not related at all to the skins. There must be something else causing a problem. Please generate a debug log.

Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

Well, I bit the bullet and uninstalled/completely removed everything related to MM including all registry entries, config files and databases (after first backing up MM.db).
Rebooted, checked for orphan files again, then re-installed the latest version from a new download. Put the MM.db back in place, crossed my fingers and... It worked!
Unfortunately, I'm now too scared to try a new skin in case it all goes haywire again. Is there a way to extract the .msz files from a downloaded .mmip file? That way I could just put the thing in manually, and more importantly, remove it if it stuffs up.

Thanks for your efforts to clear up my problem,
Regards
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Zarg Weewah wrote:Well, I bit the bullet and uninstalled/completely removed everything related to MM including all registry entries, config files and databases (after first backing up MM.db).
Rebooted, checked for orphan files again, then re-installed the latest version from a new download. Put the MM.db back in place, crossed my fingers and... It worked!
Unfortunately, I'm now too scared to try a new skin in case it all goes haywire again. Is there a way to extract the .msz files from a downloaded .mmip file? That way I could just put the thing in manually, and more importantly, remove it if it stuffs up.

Thanks for your efforts to clear up my problem,
Regards
Sure, just change the file from SkinFile.mmip to SkinFile.zip. Unzip the file, and the .msz will be inside.

Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

Great, thanks!
Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

Manual install works perfectly!
Currently chilling to Lux Aeterna (Mansell) whilst enjoying the new look of UMP - http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... %27s_Skins
Thanks again for all the assistance.
Zarg Weewah

Post by Zarg Weewah »

Bugger! Spoke too soon.
Fired MM up today (Thurs) after using it without problems since Saturday, and what do you know, "failed to load image" and "initialization error" windows have re-appeared. Even the non-skinned version is stuffed, since the player panel doesn't appear in either version.
I have made absolutely NO changes to MM since Saturday.
The only thing I can think of that would be considered 'different' regarding my usage patterns on the PC is that yesterday my daughter connected her iPod to charge it (and iTunes popped up). She didn't sync any files (as her iPod is registered to her own PC) and I haven't used MM since then, at least up until a few minutes ago. Apart from that, I've had MM running smoothly in the background whilst office apps, a web browser, sync tools, graphics editing utils etc were being used.

This is VERY annoying.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send a debug log to support for this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69 It should help the developers discover what can be causing this.

One last thing to try is to rename d_iphone.dll and d_ipod.dll in the MediaMonkey\Plugins folder.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)