My library was deleted while importing a new CD?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tashtego

My library was deleted while importing a new CD?

Post by tashtego »

I started MediaMonkey to import a new CD, and it asked me if I want to upgrade. I clicked yes on the upgrade, which opened up my browser to the MediaMonkey download page.

Then I imported my new CD.

Then I noticed that all of my library and settings are gone. And this was BEFORE I upgraded. I might have inadvertantly clicked on something that said "Do you want to delete your entire library" - but I'm pretty sure I didn't do that.

In my Application Data directory, MM.DB is just 325 kb, and it was created today.

a) what happened?
b) is there a simple way to get my settings and library back
c) i have a backup from a few weeks ago - if I need to use that, do I just replace MM.DB with my backup version? Or is it more complicated than that.

Thanks in advance for your help!
nohitter151

Re: My library was deleted while importing a new CD?

Post by nohitter151 »

Sorry, I'm confused by your post. Your settings were lost before installing any upgrade?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try restarting your PC. And yes you can replace the new DB with the backup DB, but you should first try restarting your PC.
tashtego

Post by tashtego »

Thanks for your responses. I tried restarting my system, and that made no difference.
I'm sorry for being unclear in my post. This was the order of events:
1) Opened MediaMonkey
2) Prompted for the update
3) Clicked OK, which opened a browser window to the MM download page
4) Put CD in drive
5) Imported CD
6) Listened to songs for a while
7) Searched for other songs, and realized that the search function "was not working" until I realized that I actually had only 11 songs in my library!

But then I searched for MM.db, and discovered that I now have two of them:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.db Created Nov. 17 325 kB
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey Created Nov. 13 84 MB

I assume what happened is that a new library was created, either due to my choosing to update or perhaps I just clicked on the wrong thing by mistake?

At any rate, what is the best way to restore the original database? Why did MM apparently start reading the library from a different directory?

Thanks again for your help.
r0k

Post by r0k »

If you installed Media Monkey 4 it does create a new database and not use the old Media Monkey 3 database. Some users have been able to point to their old db by editing an ini file but this might cause issues.
Can't you just re-import your songs? If you kept your tags synchronized you should get all your data back.
tashtego

Post by tashtego »

What does it mean to synchronize my tags?

I could reimport my songs, but what about my playlists?
tashtego

Post by tashtego »

Also, isn't it strange that it created the new database BEFORE I installed the new version? And wouldn't it make sense to ask if I wanted to keep the settings etc. from my previous version?

(I do want to acknowledge the possibility, however remote, that I'm just an idiot, and that it did ask me these questions and that I wasn't paying attention and just clicked OK. But it is certain that it created the new database BEFORE I installed v.4)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

tashtego wrote:Also, isn't it strange that it created the new database BEFORE I installed the new version?
That is not possible. Send me a PM with your MediaMonkey 3 database file from C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\.

I will do the conversion for you and send the DB back. You can then replace the current MM4 DB file at:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.db
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
r0k

Post by r0k »

tashtego wrote:What does it mean to synchronize my tags?
It means keeping the ID3 tags synchronized with the database so all information is stored in both. I think it's on by default so.
I could reimport my songs, but what about my playlists?
Woops, i use auto playlists near exclusively so i forgot about this. I just re-created them when going from MM3 to MM4.
Also, isn't it strange that it created the new database BEFORE I installed the new version?
Yes, it is :o
And wouldn't it make sense to ask if I wanted to keep the settings etc. from my previous version?
It would make sense to import stuff from the old databse. The new databse made perfect sense during beta so you could have MM3 and MM4 installed and working independently.
That being said, if the new database was created before you installed MM4 it's probably a different issue :-?
Just to be sure, you didn't had a windows update before this issue? Something that would have changed some path OS side and caused MediaMonkey not to find it's database.
tashtego

Post by tashtego »

IT is possible that there was a Windows update that messed with the paths. But I know that MM was fine on the 13th, and messed up the next time I opened it on the 17th...

It seems that MM4 overwrite MM3, so to get them running simultaneously would I have to reinstall MM3?

And is there some way to then import my playlists (and library)?

I really would just like the simplest way to get back my library and playlists...
Can I temporarily point MM4 to the old database, and then export that to something and re-import to MM4 when I point it back to the new DB?

Thanks for all your help.