Summary displaying unknown

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

dwmd65

Summary displaying unknown

Post by dwmd65 »

I am running MM4

In my middle window, I have Show art with details, and then columns are artwork, summary, title and track number.

Since mm4, I have many listed as unknown where artist would be. When I look at one that is correct compared to one that displays unknown, I can't see a difference.

Both have an artist entry for artist and album artist.

Any ideas? I use the link for artist to quickly go from the playlist to the actual artist section in all music. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.
nohitter151

Re: Summary displaying unknown

Post by nohitter151 »

dwmd65 wrote: Both have an artist entry for artist and album artist.
No, the issue is that your tracks do not have both an artist and album artist value.

You could verify this by enabling the "Album artist" column in the track view, and see that it's blank for your tracks. MM does show an album artist when you bring up the properties menu, but that's only because it automatically infers the album artist from the artist field when there is no album artist value but there is an artist and album value.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dwmd65

Post by dwmd65 »

That's it. Thought I was going crazy. Is there a way to tag all music to replicate album artist with artist value?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dwmd65

Post by dwmd65 »

Wow that first one is pretty nice. I searched on all that have unknown in album artist.
Then select a few and copied from artist into album artist. Gonna make a backup of database and mp3's first but will give it a go.
Thanks
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

If you don't want to edit it loads of tags either manually or with a script, you could change the first line of Art view settings in options -> playback rules to

$if(<Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,<Artist>) - <Album>

which would result in the first line (in Summary (Art view)) reading "Album Artist - Album" if the Album artist tag is filled in, or "Artist - Album" if it is not. The only problem is that for an album with NO Album artist, and multiple artists, it will only display the first artist, eg "(whoever the first track's artist is) - Album". The solution for this is just change all multi-artist albums' album artist to VA.