songs sound like static

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chrsswmr

songs sound like static

Post by chrsswmr »

I upgraded to MM4 and had no problems, everything worked fine. However I was having unrelated issues with windows and I ended up formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows. I reinstalled MM4 and most of the songs play fine but some sound like they have static in them. With some it is just little bit of static and with others you can barely make out any music at all. I tried playing the same songs in windows media player and they played just fine, so it isn't the song or my speakers. I uninstalled/reinstalled MM4 but still have the problem. Any suggestions? I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: songs sound like static

Post by Guest »

Volume leveling has done the trick for me so far.
chrsswmr

Post by chrsswmr »

I ran the analyze volume and it seems to have solved the problem.
lotherius

Post by lotherius »

Can confirm the same issue..... Analyze Volume fixed it.

I don't care what the reason is, no other media player has ever required that I "analyze volume" to avoid static... the cause needs to be found and axed.
Dan A

Post by Dan A »

I have the same problem, I think it's been a few weeks since I upgraded mediamonkey, but I also haven't used it much lately. The analyze volume fix worked right away, I just had to re-start the song I was listening to.

I agree that it's a very serious problem that needs to be fixed in the next release. However I'm very relieved that there is a fairly easy fix. Thanks for posting the fix!
BlueBull00

Post by BlueBull00 »

Hit the same issue and fix today
E.Baba

Post by E.Baba »

Am still using MM3 with XP and have just started getting what sounds much like this problem.
How could that happen ? Maybe mine isn't the same cause ?

I Analyse Volume as a matter of course to get a consistent playback.

Can someone tell me if this Fix is to (re)Analyse Volume for the whole Library ?
MM 4.1.8.1751. Windows 7.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Verify that other players don't experience the same. If they don't: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90
BlueBull00

Post by BlueBull00 »

I followed the directions in the link above with no real fix. I actually discovered was unable to correct some of the 1700+ songs I had with static by using analyze volume. I did notice that the songs I could not correct were MP3s with non-standard bit rates (147 bit, 253,bit, etc). They play correctly if I convert them to AAC or use another player(Winamp, WMP, VLC).
E.Baba

Post by E.Baba »

Same
Interesting about the non standard bit rates.
It seems even Realplayer is fine with them.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If they're MP3 files try the link at the bottom of the linked article: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=101
BlueBull00 wrote:were MP3s with non-standard bit rates (147 bit, 253,bit, etc).
Those are VBR MP3 files and MediaMonkey should have no issue handling them. You may want to open a support ticket and add a link to one of the files shared on a filesharing like dropbox: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit Using the MAD plugin mentioned in the above link still might solve the problem. They could also be MP3Pro files.
BlueBull00

Post by BlueBull00 »

deleted and installed fresh copy of MAD again and it worked !! Happy days! All the VBR MP3s play without static now.
E.Baba

Post by E.Baba »

Lowlander wrote:If they're MP3 files try the link at the bottom of the linked article: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=101
Link to Input Plugins page under "1. in_mad.dll." goes to MM4 Homepage. ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

palmcrash

Post by palmcrash »

It's been 6 months, and MM 4.0.6 still has this issue. How can MM expect to reach the bigger, layman audience if the core functionality of MP3 playback doesn't work properly without hacks?