Database loses all changes on crash

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tommycrock

Database loses all changes on crash

Post by tommycrock »

I'm not sure whether this is how it's known to be and that's why I'm posting here.
If MM crashes (or freezes and I kill it) I find I lose all changes to the library etc. since it opened. This is not just with ongoing processes (where the transaction might not have completed) but changes that happened e.g. half an hour ago such as importing new songs / changing the path of songs (just some recent examples). This leaves me not only routinely losing minor things like play counts but with a database that's inconsistent from tags/locations.Also, I guess related, the playlist reverts to how it was when it was last opened.
It's just a shame MM crashes as often as it does that I find this such a problem.
Lowlander

Re: Database loses all changes on crash

Post by Lowlander »

That seems impossible as database changes are written to the DB as they're made. Settings and Now Playing will be lost on crash as they're written on exit.

For crashing send a debug log (step 4b) to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks, I guessed that they would be and am confused as to why this would happen. Perhaps if I give a detailed specific example then a different explanation will emerge.
Re: crashes, I do send automatically generated logs but don't get replies. I assume someone is collating them but don't know.
So, in EAC I've reripped an old CD as flac and ripped a new one. I open MM, move the folders with the ripped files into my continuously monitored music folder. The files appear in the MM library. I use the copy metadata extension to update the new flac files with the metadata of the old files and delete the old files from the library and computer. All appears okay, all processes that display at the bottom have ended. I then update the album art of the new CD files and MM crashes. When I reopen MM the new album isn't displayed under the album artist node until the file is rescanned at startup, similarly, the updated flac files aren't in the library and the old mp3s are, but now the mp3s themselves are gone so those library entries are broken links. I repeat the process of updating the metadata/deleting old library entries and close MM. Now the library entries are there.
Another example I often see is that not only is now playing not updated (as you explained), but playcounts aren't updated on files that have finished playing, but again, only after MM has crashed.
tommycrock

Freeze after can't access cache image

Post by tommycrock »

I've submitted several elf files related to this. I opened MM and left it alone, the startup file monitor was running, I got an error message saying MM couldn't access P:\MediaMonkey\Temp\MMCache78806940_2\E5UYDS541BR2B29J - 3316.bmp (twice) and submitted the elf files, after this MM was frozen, I submitted the elf file that later came up for the freeze. The file exists: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39561993/E5UYDS ... 203316.bmp and here's the log file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39561993/MM_fre ... sCache.LOG
As it happens, the files that the image relates to are the ones I was discussing here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=65244 where MM had previously crashed while the image was added (although that was quite a few starts ago)...
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It makes no sense to me, other than something is blocking write access to DB (security settings/software) or something is replacing new with old DB (backup software).

Still send a debug log as described to support to have someone look into it and get back to you.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Thanks, I've submitted a log for this new issue, but I think these are two quite different issues. One, a repeating problem to do with losing changes I'd thought were committed to the db when MM crashes and the other, a freeze that I've never seen before. I hadn't made any changes this time so I don't know that the log will show anything to do with the old issue.
natakk

Post by natakk »

sorry that i abuse this thread for my issues... :)

i have investigated the same issue! if MM crashes or i have to close it with the task manager not all
data is stored in the database after relaunch from MM.

i have saw the following settings are not stored: (examples)
  • song additions to playlists
  • playcounts and last played date
  • new entries in database
some times is also only a part, which is lost. this happens when i want to close MM and MM hangs on closure
prozess. then i have to kill MM trough task manager and only a part of the data is lost.

for declaration porposes: this issue affects only the data from the current session. its look like MM stores all
data in a transaction log or somehing. (i can see an journal file in the database location) and stores the data
on closure prozess. and on opening prozess the journal will be purged. is this possible?

if i start no journal exists, after same changes the journal kb-size is growing up. and will deleted after a few seconds.
if the crash happens on closure there is a "huge" journal file left with maybe 400kb or more. could it be, that the journal
writeback to database is malfunction in this situation?

i'm using now the newest beta release but this happens also with the earlier releases.
natakk

Post by natakk »

nobody any idea about that? :(