External Hard Drive

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mcateemc

External Hard Drive

Post by mcateemc »

Hello,

I was wondering about using an external hard drive with MM. The hard drive on my netbook (650GB) is almost full. Is it possible to incorporate an external drive?
Lowlander

Re: External Hard Drive

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey can use any variety of local, external and networked storage locations.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Post by Guest »

Has anyone out there does this? I am hoping to use the external drive as an "extension" to my internal hard drive. Lets say you have the external connected, can you create playlist/select songs from both drive locations. Or can you only use songs from one drive location at a time? Has anyone done this and have any tips.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can do anything the same way with one or multiple drives. To MediaMonkey it doesn't matter where the songs are stored. This is the way I use MediaMonkey myself.
mcateemc

Post by mcateemc »

lowlander,

I don't mean to be a pest...............but I have one more question. If you have an external drive connected, does MM display all content on both drives (internal and external)? This is the way I hope it works. Or do you select between drives and MM displays the just content on the selected drive? I just want a good idea on how this will work before I get my external. Any setup info would be appreciated.
elmerbumpkin's bastard child

Post by elmerbumpkin's bastard child »

It will list all of your music together, but the path will be different.

You search "London Calling" and half the album is on one drive and half on the other. All of London Calling is returned through your search into a single pane, like a 'normal' album. If you scroll right far enough to see the 'path' field, they will start with different drive letters.

Works great.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on how you access your music, but in short yes. If you select an Artist, or an Album it will show all files belonging to it from any drive. You can still split along drives by using the Location node, but it is the only node that will split among drives.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

I have music spread over two ext hard drives.
MM4 can see both drives.
MediaMonkey user since 2006