move files from ext drive to new ext hard drive - help pls

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MusicBringer

move files from ext drive to new ext hard drive - help pls

Post by MusicBringer »

I have filled my ext hard drive and now need to move all the music files to a new larger hard drive.
I know many folk have fallen foul of this straight forward task.
MM requires a certain process else I shall get grayed out listings.
I understand drive ID is involved too.
So, in easy steps, what should I do to protect my MM4 settings.
[using Win 7 x64 and latest MM4]
thanks,
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Lowlander

Re: move files from ext drive to new ext hard drive - help p

Post by Lowlander »

Use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move the files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0 Then no driveID change is required.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Sorry I should have said it is the Auto-Organize Files function I do not wish to use.
Get the commands wrong and you end up with a mess or worst case losing your files.

I want to move the folders and files myself and then tell MM where they are.
How do I do that please.

I have over T2 of music data to deal with. I wish to take control and do this task in a structured manner.
From what I have read of the experience of others folks I cannot trust Auto-Organize to behave as I anticipate/hope it will.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's the best solution and unless you ignore the duplicate warning you shouldn't loose the files. It's what I've been using successfully all these years.

Otherwise see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Lowlander wrote:Use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move the files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0 Then no driveID change is required.
Lowlander,
So, are you saying in order to move MM and music from one portable install to another, I need to install MM on new hard drive (or can I copy the whole MM folder to new drive?), then Auto-Organize to move music files? Or do I install a clean MM, copy DB to correct folder and then Auto-Organize?

Will this keep all playlists and auto-playlists intact? Or do I still need to use Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.1 script?

Changing hard drives has always been a scary proposition, but the day has come.

Thank you for your insight.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Portable Install can be copied over completely and should run. If both drives are connected you can run Auto-Organize Files to move the files so both the files are moved to the new drive and the DB is updated with the new paths.

I personally haven't moved a Portable Install around. So you may want to start with copying the Portable install to the new drive and see if it runs as expected. If it does you can move a few files with Auto-Organize Files and see if that also works as expected. If all checks out you can move the remaining files with Auto-Organize Files.
scott967

Post by scott967 »

I've found auto-organize works pretty well. The only issue I had was I have some .m4a files in the library, and subsequently I changed my file monitor scan options to not scan for .m4a files. I can use auto-organize to move them, but afterwards MM will say the file is missing. I can use the "locate moved/missing files" function and it picks them back up again. It also won't remove empty folders when that option is selected.

scott s.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

scott967 wrote:I've found auto-organize works pretty well. The only issue I had was I have some .m4a files in the library, and subsequently I changed my file monitor scan options to not scan for .m4a files. I can use auto-organize to move them, but afterwards MM will say the file is missing.
I don't follow. The file type is irrelevant to Auto-Organize. If Auto-Organize moves the files they should be available.
scott967 wrote: It also won't remove empty folders when that option is selected.
This is generally due to files remaining in the folders like hidden Artwork files and such (which Windows or Windows Media Player can add).
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Lowlander wrote:The Portable Install can be copied over completely and should run. If both drives are connected you can run Auto-Organize Files to move the files so both the files are moved to the new drive and the DB is updated with the new paths.

I personally haven't moved a Portable Install around. So you may want to start with copying the Portable install to the new drive and see if it runs as expected. If it does you can move a few files with Auto-Organize Files and see if that also works as expected. If all checks out you can move the remaining files with Auto-Organize Files.
So far, working like a charm. Copied Portable MM from one drive to another, opened MM on new drive, Auto-organized a few artists just fine. Now I'll do the rest and see if the playlists work.

Update 2 hours later...I'm getting a lot of "An error occured while trying to move ____". Any idea why this is happening? Might be faster to copy all music to the new drive and use the "Restore" script or Locate Missing Files function.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Didn't wait to see why I was getting the errors. I saved a copy of my DB just in case, copied my current MM folder to new external hard drive, copied all music folders, clicked Edit>Locate Moved/Missing Files and so far everything works as normal.