MM is keeping old tags after they've been changed (!)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

listen

MM is keeping old tags after they've been changed (!)

Post by listen »

I have some tracks where MM refuses to show changes to their tags. I've tried deleting the files from the library and re-adding, and MM still has the old tags.

How can I make it update the tags?

This is only for a handful of tracks out of the hundreds that I've changed the tags on.
MM Standard (free) v 4.0.7.1511
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
SansaMonkey

Re: MM is keeping old tags after they've been changed (!)

Post by SansaMonkey »

Did you changed the tags with MM ... or?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried disabling Infer Track Properties under Tools > Options > Library?
listen

Post by listen »

SansaMonkey wrote:Did you changed the tags with MM ... or?
I use Mp3Tag which is a fantastically good, fast and powerful freeware mp3 renamer. In maybe 7 years of use I've never had a single problem or glitch.

The problem is happening only to a small number of files, I would say 1% or less. (That may not sound like much but when it happens with frequently played files it is a hassle.)
Last edited by listen on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
listen

Post by listen »

Lowlander wrote:Have you tried disabling Infer Track Properties under Tools > Options > Library?
Thanks I will try that.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
SansaMonkey

Post by SansaMonkey »

listen wrote:I use Mp3Tag which is a fantastically good, fast and powerful freeware mp3 renamer.
I used too - up to the moment I tried tagging with MM. MM is as good as MP3Tag :D

But - using a database, MM is faster :)

But keep in mind - changing tags with MP3Tag you have to wait until MM is updating his database.
Last edited by SansaMonkey on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I use MediaMonkey for tagging as well, especially as the database is a backup for tag that way.

Note:
Infer Track Properties will auto-guess tags from folder/filenames and can give strange results. Disabling it will only read tags from the files, you can use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename in MediaMonkey if you do want to use folder/filenames for certain tags. Disabling this won't change anything for files already scanned in though.

MediaMonkey uses a database. This means that any changes made to files outside of MediaMonkey requires rescanning of the files to get the new changes into the database. One issue that could happen (they have fixed some of this) is when you empty tags outside of MediaMonkey. I'm not sure that on rescanning MediaMonkey will empty database values in that case. Removing the track from Library and rescanning should work though. You can use Folder Monitoring to automate rescanning of files that have been scanned (tip leave MediaMonkey running while making the changes).
listen

Post by listen »

SansaMonkey wrote:
listen wrote:I use Mp3Tag which is a fantastically good, fast and powerful freeware mp3 renamer.
(1) I used too - up to the moment I tried tagging with MM. MM is as good as MP3Tag :D

But - using a database, MM is faster :)

(2) But keep in mind - changing tags with MP3Tag you have to wait until MM is updating his database.
(1) Does MM have a way to automate conversion from filename to tag, or tag to tag? I use those functions constantly.

(2) The updating takes maybe 30 seconds when MM starts. I don't have real-time updating turned on. I guess I usually close then re-open MM if I'm tagging files already in it.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
listen

Post by listen »

Lowlander wrote:. Removing the track from Library and rescanning should work though.
I definitely tried that. That's what so weird. I'll delete the files as well as the whole artist folder in the tree, but when I re-add the files, an artist node with the old, misspelled name reappears. Like the Reanimator. The old misspelled artist name just won't go away.

What about re-building or optimizing the database? I haven't tried those because I'm afraid they'll do some sort of re-organization that I don't want, such as making new folders or whatever, like iTunes will do if you let it control your folders, which I don't want.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
SansaMonkey

Post by SansaMonkey »

Please have a look to the specific file ....

Is the misspelling name part of the filename?

Does Windows Explorer, or MP3Tag show correct tag contents?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Auto-Tag from Filename and Auto-Organize Files both under the Tools menu.

2) This is probably the reading of your Now Playing files which is done from the files tags themselves (and thus slow).
listen

Post by listen »

SansaMonkey wrote:Please have a look to the specific file ....

Positively no misspellings in the filename. I've checked and re-checked.

MP3Tag shows everything correct.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
erbower

Post by erbower »

listen wrote:
SansaMonkey wrote:Please have a look to the specific file ....

Positively no misspellings in the filename. I've checked and re-checked.

MP3Tag shows everything correct.
I'm new to MM & seems like I'm having an identical issue. Updated tags in MP3tag will not show in MM. I have read through this post and tried removing and re-adding the files - no luck. Any suggestions for this newbie? Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you removed and re-added the songs it would seem that the tags weren't saved or different tags were used or the old tags are still in the file together with the new tags. Does a player like Windows Media Player show the newly corrected tags.
jamburglar

Post by jamburglar »

Lowlander wrote:If you removed and re-added the songs it would seem that the tags weren't saved or different tags were used or the old tags are still in the file together with the new tags. Does a player like Windows Media Player show the newly corrected tags.
Hey, I just wanted to say I'm having the same issue, except I tagged the files using MusicBee (not Mp3Tag). Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, Tag&Rename and iTunes reflect the updated tags, but MediaMonkey does not for some reason. Tried rescanning the Music folder, but to no avail. Tags are still the incorrect old ones, both in the My Computer node and the Music node. Any help would be much appreciated.