Question playlist tracks out of order by (date) added

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Niglin

Question playlist tracks out of order by (date) added

Post by Niglin »

I love mediamonkey, find it much better than itunes. However, there is a bug with the currently in sorting by (date) added, the tracks are out of order (they go in descending order). Adjusting the track a..z or artist a..z or in reverse order, does not work either. Can you tell me what the criteria is to adjust this, or is this a known bug that cannot currently be rectified? Thanks for your time and attention it is appreciated.

John

screen
http://i34.fastpic.ru/big/2012/0427/b8/ ... e001b8.jpg
Lowlander

Re: Question playlist tracks out of order by (date) added

Post by Lowlander »

It orders on full date added so that value isn't the same for all the tracks on the Album.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Niglin

Post by Niglin »

OK, well then it shouldn't look like this then...

Thanks; but sorry, your answer was quite vague, and not very helpful.

* In case I wasn't clear before, I'm looking to have the latest date added at the top (as in the photos), but with the tracks in the correct order IE 1-10. If this bug cannot be fixed, the program is no better than itunes.

The problem has been discussed here by developers and moderators; but not fully addressed: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5215
Last edited by Niglin on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Each track is added at a different moment in time. So if you sort on Added it will sort exactly in the order the tracks were added to MediaMonkey. ie. a secondary sort can only work if the primary sort has the same values and not unique ones.
Niglin

Post by Niglin »

If that is truly the case the software is defective, and suffers the same inherent genetic defect itunes does, this issue should be addressed by developers. Are you implying adding one track at a time may be the only way to rectify this (cause that would be a HUGE pain). I'm asking for a workaround, anyone else any thoughts?

*Thanks for feedback BTW
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I disagree that the software is defective as it does exactly what you'd expect. It sorts on Added. Now I believe this was changed to ignore seconds (or even minutes) on secondary sort, but I can't figure out if this is the case as it won't work here.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

It's not a bug, they fixed this a few versions ago. Just use a secondary sort of Album A..Z, then it will ignore the time and use only the date.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Niglin

Post by Niglin »

Well in the newer version it may be a bug, I'd tried that sort criteria, and it does put the track #'s back into perspective - numerical order. However, once this happens, the date added is no longer in perfect sequence. I've also tried adding track # & album A..Z & Z..A, doesn't work. See screens.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Niglin wrote: the date added is no longer in perfect sequence.
Well yeah, because that is what you're asking for. You're asking to override the Added sort with the Album Sort.

The second screenshot shows you sorted twice on Added which doesn't do anything. The second sort should be on another field like Album.
Niglin

Post by Niglin »

You guys aren't reading what I'm writing, I said I tried that in previous posts. Could you please post your exact ideal order to accomplish this, or screens lowlander? This sort problem, again, is one of the big reasons I stopped using itunes, according to the last update (screen) it's still an issue, so; not to criticize the truth. DEVELOPERS YOU NEED TO ADD THE 'TIME ADDED' OPTION INTO THE AUTO PLAYLISTS.

So now then, does anyone know of a good working script that would rectify this matter?

- When you're right, they never remember, when you're wrong, they never forget -

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Niglin wrote:You guys aren't reading what I'm writing, I said I tried that in previous posts. Could you please post your exact ideal order to accomplish this, or screens lowlander? This sort problem, again, is one of the big reasons I stopped using itunes, according to the last update (screen) it's still an issue, so; not to criticize the truth. DEVELOPERS YOU NEED TO ADD THE 'TIME ADDED' OPTION INTO THE AUTO PLAYLISTS.
I don't see any problem, it works fine like in my screenshot below:
http://i.imgur.com/MQmBD.png

Niglin

Post by Niglin »

Yes, good job man, I used the same criteria. But the issue is with the time stamp, could you post yours including the 'added' column, to see if the time stamps are in order. As you can see in my screenshot it goes 11:53, 11:49, 11:53.. if I were to go further down the list, (date is ok) but time stamps continue to be messed - in the sort. Thanks.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Niglin wrote:Yes, good job man, I used the same criteria. But the issue is with the time stamp, could you post yours including the 'added' column, to see if the time stamps are in order. As you can see in my screenshot it goes 11:53, 11:49, 11:53.. if I were to go further down the list, (date is ok) but time stamps continue to be messed - in the sort. Thanks.
That is of course intended. It works just like described in the same mantis entry that you posted:
Jiri wrote:Maybe a small trick would solve all this without the need for any new fields:
1. In case Date Added is the only (or last) field in the list of sorting fields, it would be fully used - i.e. including time.
2. In case Date Added is followed by some other fields (like Track #), only Date part would be used.
The time field is ignored when the secondary sort is by album.

Niglin

Post by Niglin »

Yes, this much we know, so how to address this issue?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Niglin wrote:Yes, this much we know, so how to address this issue?
I don't see any issue. It works like described.