Question playlist tracks out of order by (date) added

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Niglin

Re: Question playlist tracks out of order by (date) added

Post by Niglin »

Great job of actually belaboring the issue, I've never seen anything quite like it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Niglin wrote:Great job of actually belaboring the issue, I've never seen anything quite like it.
You're the one causing the trouble here. You refuse to listen to reason on this topic. Here are the facts:

1. Using the sort criteria Added Z..A, Album A..Z, Track # A..Z, the sort works as expected. The tracks are in order of date added (time ignored) then in alphabetical order of album name per date (in correct track order)

2. This special sort method is necessary (and was added in a previous version of MediaMonkey 4) because the "Added" field accounts not only for the date added but also the individual time, per track, down to the exact second it was added to the library.

3. What you want is a sort order where the albums are listed in correct track order, but in the exact order that they were added to the library. This is not possible.

The only way to do such a thing would be to sort by "Added", but rather than ignore the "time" component, just ignore the "seconds" part. That way albums added at a different time could still be in the correct order of import. But even then it's an imperfect solution. What about the case where you added several different albums within the same exact minute? In that case you'd have the same problem that you're describing in this thread. What about a case where you import an album, and half of the tracks were imported at 12:01 and the other half imported at 12:02? In that case the second half of the album would display in front of the first half.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
edge997

Post by edge997 »

Hi all, I'm new here and fairly new to MM. The sort has been bugging me and this thread came up in a google search. Hate to revive the thread but thought someone may be able to help. My issue relates to #1 from the previous post.
1. Using the sort criteria Added Z..A, Album A..Z, Track # A..Z, the sort works as expected. The tracks are in order of date added (time ignored) then in alphabetical order of album name per date (in correct track order)
This sort is not working properly for me. It seems to have no effect when adding the additional sort of album and track, it still displays the track is descending order. I have version 4.0.5.2496 - regular version.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Lowlander wrote:If you want to sort on Added, but maintain the Album Track order use Added > Album > Track#.
Thanks. That is what I needed for my custom made Recently Added playlist.

The trouble is I cannot correct/change the automatic Recently Added Content playlist which refuses to sort in track order.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MusicBringer wrote:
The trouble is I cannot correct/change the automatic Recently Added Content playlist which refuses to sort in track order.
Those playlists are static, the sorting we're talking about here only applies to auto-playlists.
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mathonwy

Post by mathonwy »

Sooooooo.....

:D

What's the workflow here.

I got some new music.

I create a new directory, put the new music in there and then add files to library.

I click on the added column and the music files show up as added today but the tracks are reversed... just like Niglin said in 2012

So based on what I can gleam from his thread, the reason why they are reversed is because the added date also includes seconds which doesn't show up which makes each individual added date unique. There's no reason that I can see why the added date should be unique.

I would imagine the simple fix to his issue would be to not store the seconds.

I'm using Version 4.1.11.1783
dengy

Post by dengy »

is there really no fix for this? all i want to do is be able to listen to recently added with album tracks in the correct order.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do a conditional Sort of Auto Playlist where you will sort recent files <1day added by Album -> Track# and you should be covered.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum