Checkbox: Which songs [not] to play

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

joshdw

Checkbox: Which songs [not] to play

Post by joshdw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello,
now first of all let me say that I'm pretty new to MM, having switch over from iTunes since it's really sluggish and quite frankly, annoying.
I will also like to say that MM is amazing, and that I take my hat of to you guys for making such a nice program.

Okey so I'll cut to the chase, basically, I only used iTunes for one reason: Checkboxes. (aka Tickboxes)
I have over 8000 songs in my Music Folder, and out of those 8000 songs I do not want them all to sync, nor play. I was wondering if there is some way that I can do the same with MM. I have searched for all the music in the folder, and after that, grabbed "info" from the iTunes library, but I can't seem to find any "Checkbox".
So to conclude, is it possible to have an *cough* iTunes-like *cough* checkbox?

I have read about 5 threads (mostly over 1 year old) that all seem to say that the only solution is to make a new Column and in that column put, for example, 1 for "Ticked" and 0 for "Unticked" and then using auto-playlist to sync only "Ticked" songs. But that sounds like a real pain, sorry, but 8000+ songs, so many 1's and 0's, might as well just learn binary while I'm doing it, lol.

Thanks a lot in advance, and once again, great job!
Josh

BKKKPewsey

Re: Checkbox: Which songs [not] to play

Post by BKKKPewsey » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Why don't you use the star rating :-?
I cannot see any difference between clicking on the star rating or ticking a box.
The advantage of star rating is that it give you much granular control eg bomb - I never want to hear that again and why do I still have it
to 5 star - one of my fav tracks.
You can then build a playlist easily with say 5 star only (favourites) or lets listen to some tracks I am not too sure about so 2 star and above etc.
:)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege

joshdw

Post by joshdw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 am

BKKKPewsey wrote:Why don't you use the star rating :-?
I cannot see any difference between clicking on the star rating or ticking a box.
The advantage of star rating is that it give you much granular control eg bomb - I never want to hear that again and why do I still have it
to 5 star - one of my fav tracks.
You can then build a playlist easily with say 5 star only (favourites) or lets listen to some tracks I am not too sure about so 2 star and above etc.
:)
Quiet a good idea to be honest, but still, I'd have to go through all the songs one by one, (well the ones that aren't already rated and imported from iTunes at least)
I was just looking for a much easier way to do it, since nowadays I do not have hours to spend rating my library :P

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am

You can select any number of files and change the rating for all of them. You can also export a Playlist from iTunes (to M3U Playlist) with all the files that shouldn't play and then import and change the rating of all the songs.

Previous discussion: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=51315
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

joshdw

Post by joshdw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Lowlander wrote:You can select any number of files and change the rating for all of them. You can also export a Playlist from iTunes (to M3U Playlist) with all the files that shouldn't play and then import and change the rating of all the songs.
Wow, that is actually a great idea. Wouldn't have thought of that. THANKS!

jennylynne

Post by jennylynne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 pm

I just dropped in to say thanks to the person who suggested the star system. I hadn't read the thread when it occurred to me a few days ago that it could be used for that since I never actually used ratings in iTunes. I set up a playlist called "Songs I Know" which are basically all the songs I can sing along to and when through all my non-instrumental music and well, you get the picture, right? Anything with 3 stars gets automatically dumped into there. There's a second version with the Country music blocked out. Those two playlists are what gets sync'd onto my iphone and most importantly my officemate has stopped complaining that either there's no music or there's too much Country. ;) I'm going to give him a week before he starts to complain about my singing. :P

I hadn't thought about the variations though. I like the idea of putting a bomb on songs I don't really want to hear again, but I don't want to get rid of because maybe they go with an album or whatever. Plus, there are some songs I like just for listening and others that I like for singing along. I can see those going along from three to five. Maybe ones are songs I'm not sure about and twos are new songs I'm trying out? It'd be interesting to build some mixes that way. It's like creating mix tapes all over again. :D

Thanks for the idea!