Intentional Duplicates

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Boobounder

Intentional Duplicates

Post by Boobounder »

I suspect I'm not hitting the right keywords ... someone else must've wanted this too ...

I have albums that logically should be in only one place on my hard drive, but in two places in my library. For example, I'd like "Dylan and the Dead" under both Bob Dylan and Grateful Dead.

How do I do this?
Lowlander

Re: Intentional Duplicates

Post by Lowlander »

Add both Artists to the Artist tag separated by a semicolon: Bob Dylan; Grateful Dead
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

I have come to the conclusion that both Lowlander and nohitter have a psychic connection with my computer :roll:
Every time I try to post something they always get there first with almost the exact same thing I was writing :D
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

BKKKPewsey wrote:I have come to the conclusion that both Lowlander and nohitter have a psychic connection with my computer :roll:
Every time I try to post something they always get there first with almost the exact same thing I was writing :D
you too? i suspect they have a script telling them the forum is active so they can come in and post. :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Boobounder

Post by Boobounder »

Lowlander wrote:Add both Artists to the Artist tag separated by a semicolon: Bob Dylan; Grateful Dead
OK. So if I do that the album shows up in both places under "Artist". Good.

But it does not come up in two places under "Location". That makes sense.

But ... "Location" is preferable for me because of the folder structure on my hard drive. My issue with "Artist" is that it is a simple list of all my artists - and not very useful because I have a few thousand of those. Because my folder tree in Windows Explorer is more organized/anal, it's easier for me to find things in MediaMonkey through "Location" rather than "Artist".

So ... is there a way to do this to get 1 album from 1 location on my hard drive to show up in 2 places under "Location"? (I'm willing to do symbolic links in Windows 7 if that's the only way).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Location represents your hard drive which you said shouldn't have 2 copies. There is a discussion about symbolic linking type of solutions.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Boobounder

Post by Boobounder »

Got a pointer to that ... I'm not finding it by searching the forums?
Boobounder

Post by Boobounder »

No answer so I did my own solution (in Windows). Very cool in MediaMonkey (towards the end below).

Follow this advice from How-to-Geek: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/co ... -or-linux/.

It recommends installing shell extension software (a shell extension is something that shows up when you right-click something in Windows Explorer). I can do symbolic links by hand, but this software is a big improvement.

Anyway, once it's installed, in Windows Explorer, you right-click the folder in its original location and choose "Pick Link Source", and then go to the location in Windows Explorer where you want it to appear a second time, right-click again, choose the option "Drop Link ..." and it's there.

The cool thing about this is that even though you are seeing the folder/album in two places, only 1 copy actually exists (that can be goofed up) while Windows will seamlessly show you 2 of them.

Then go into MediaMonkey and update the location where you just put the copy. The album will now show up in 2 places in your locations.

The really cool thing is that you can tag both albums in your locations. In my case, the artist is Bob Dylan with the Grateful Dead in one location and The Grateful Dead with Bob Dylan in the other.

Neat.
Sizzly

Post by Sizzly »

I guess my question is why?

If you're using MediaMonkey then you don't really need to care about the file system structure (like where the actual file is located) 'cause MM takes care of all that stuff.

If you need to use it in other apps on your 'puter just drag and drop from MediaMonkey and call it a day.

I stand confused.
Rob
DJ Sizzly
http://djsizzly.com
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Boobounder wrote:Got a pointer to that ... I'm not finding it by searching the forums?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... edirection
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.