Tag info not displayed correctly MM 4.0.7.1511

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jgt1942

Tag info not displayed correctly MM 4.0.7.1511

Post by jgt1942 »

I've been attempting to clean-up my music library which means that I'm renaming MP3 files (and sometimes the album folder, I store each album in a seperate folder, example Barbra Streisand-Love Is The Answer) and recreating the tags (I use Mp3tag to update the tags) and I've noticed that some of the albums I've modified do not show up in MM correctly. Example - following are some examples from one album
Real filename - Barbra Streisand-Love Is The Answer-104-If You Go Away.mp3
MM displays Barbra Streisand-Love Is The Answer D2 (Deluxe Edition)-04-If You Go Away.mp3 (this is the old filename before I changed it, thus MM is not getting updated)
Also I noticed that MM does not display the album cover correctly, when I view the album in Mp3tag it appears that all of the info is correct and it contains a cover image.

I just noticed that in MM for the album I see (1) Love Is The Answer and (2) Love Is The Answer (Deluxe Edition) - the 2nd occurrence is the original album name and does not exist in the music library, it just exist in MM. Since the album was renamed I have rebooted my computer (Win7 x64) and restarted MM.
I think if this occurrence was removed from MM all would be OK.
I was able to manually delete it from MM but why was this necessary?

As I've been going through the clean-up some of the changes are immediately reflected in MM and others never seem to be reflected. What am I doing wrong?
rovingcowboy

Re: Tag info not displayed correctly MM 4.0.7.1511

Post by rovingcowboy »

use monkey's way of cleaning up mp3 tags.
try also turning on the option in monkey to update the tags if the timestamp of the file has changed.
when he scans the file the info in the file should be re adjusted to the new info. 8)

why you would use another tagging program is beyond me? monkey does it to all the tags it uses each time you adjust them in mm he makes the changes then. and even has ways to adjust them from the directory path to the file or the file. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

rovingcowboy wrote:use monkey's way of cleaning up mp3 tags.
try also turning on the option in monkey to update the tags if the timestamp of the file has changed.
when he scans the file the info in the file should be re adjusted to the new info. 8)

why you would use another tagging program is beyond me? monkey does it to all the tags it uses each time you adjust them in mm he makes the changes then. and even has ways to adjust them from the directory path to the file or the file. :-?
Rovingcowboy, the reason to use another tool is that another tool might be better.

I really like MM for my music library but i would never give up the use of Tag&Rename for maintaining all my file tags or EZ Cd Audio Ripper for ripping my cds. The difference is using world class tools or a swiss army knife. The Blade might be really sharp and good but doesn't mean there aren't better bottle openers out there :D
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses a database, thus if you make changes outside of MediaMonkey you'll need to update the database to reflect those changes. I'd too recommend using MediaMonkey to change the filenames using Tools > Auto-Organize Files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0

Otherwise enable Folder Monitoring (continuous) under File > Add/Rescan Files on source and destination or parent folder and leave MediaMonkey running while making the changes outside of MediaMonkey. This should allow all changes to be reflected immediately in the MediaMonkey database.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

use monkey's way of cleaning up mp3 tags.
when he scans the file the info in the file should be re adjusted to the new info.

why you would use another tagging program is beyond me? monkey does it to all the tags it uses each time you adjust them in mm he makes the changes then. and even has ways to adjust them from the directory path to the file or the file.
1) I did not know that MM would also update the tags. I searched the MM help file for updating the tags and so far what I have found does not explain this process in a fashion that I can easily understand.
2) I've used Mp3tag for years and know how to use it, I'm a real novice with MM.

Prior to using MM I was using the Windows Media Player and of course it does some weird things and IMHO it is not as good as MM.

I just read the MM section at http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0
If I'm correct, this assumes that the tag info is correct. Currently for me not all of the tag info is correct. Thus I seem to be in a catch 22 with MM, but again it could be my lack of understanding.

For renaming files I use Bulk Rename Utility (http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php)
First I correct the filename and then I use Mp3tag to pull info from the filename and update the tag. With BRU I can rename unlimited number of files or folders with one click. BRU shows me the current name and the New Name before I click, thus I can easily verify that it will be what I want. Almost all of my music has been downloaded from news groups and the filenaming and tags are really messed up.
I store my music as Q:\Libraries\Music\AlbumName\music for that album
This may not be the best solution but I'm still learning.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

As a test, I used MM > Files to Edit > Unknown Title, MM shows two files, I selected one (Q:\Libraries\Music\Glen Campbell-Love Songs (1990)\08 - It's Only Make Believe.mp3) and clicked Tools > Auto-Tag from the Web. I then compared the MM results to the other tags for the files in the folder and MM has found the wrong album.

This does not give me a warm feeling and leaves me with a feeling of not trusting MM. Again, this might be my limited knowledge but currently I fear that if I leave it up to MM to update my tags and filenames I'll a super mess.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey uses a database, thus if you make changes outside of MediaMonkey you'll need to update the database to reflect those changes. I'd too recommend using MediaMonkey to change the filenames using Tools > Auto-Organize Files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0

Otherwise enable Folder Monitoring (continuous) under File > Add/Rescan Files on source and destination or parent folder and leave MediaMonkey running while making the changes outside of MediaMonkey. This should allow all changes to be reflected immediately in the MediaMonkey database.
I had already selected the option for Folder Monitoring (continuous) but I may be doing some other things that prevent the continuous update but I know not what.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Jgt1942 check item#13 on the helpful messages page i have linked in my signiture.
That item deals with how to find lost songs and how to use auto organizer, you will see how easy it is just to use auto organizer in mass renaming of folders when you fully understand it, which will take some time and use. and finding lost songs can help in understanding some other useful features of mm,
There is also other help items on that page like links to the FAQ list and other posts to learn different things 30 or so links i found easy to learn with.

As for the tag cleaning just use the edit menu i think its on there and you will see the id3 tag feature, also there is the node of files to edit you can find other nodes in that one for fixing and finding errors, unsync'd tags will make a list of your library files that dont match mm's database and mark the bad tags in yellow
o you can fix them.

You ever work with spread sheets or document programs? Mm is similar to those but only for media files. 8)

Yes auto tag from web has some issues from both mm and the web sites, some sites use latest releases of songs to find the albums and they dont care if it is a remake or a greatest hits album so online tagging is not well liked by me. And it should only be done one album at a time.

There is a script for tagging online too and it's are for one album at a time also.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
amar3213

Post by amar3213 »

jgt1942 wrote:I've been attempting to clean-up my music library which means that I'm renaming MP3 files (and sometimes the album folder, I store each album in a seperate folder, example Barbra Streisand-Love Is The Answer) and recreating the tags (I use Mp3tag to update the tags) and I've noticed that some of the albums I've modified do not show up in MM correctly. Example - following are some examples from one album
Real filename - Barbra Streisand-Love Is The Answer-104-If You Go Away.mp3
MM displays Barbra Streisand-Love Is The Answer D2 (Deluxe Edition)-04-If You Go Away.mp3 (this is the old filename before I changed it, thus MM is not getting updated)
Also I noticed that MM does not display the album cover correctly, when I view the album in Mp3tag it appears that all of the info is correct and it contains a cover image.

I just noticed that in MM for the album I see (1) Love Is The Answer and (2) Love Is The Answer (Deluxe Edition) - the 2nd occurrence is the original album name and does not exist in the music library, it just exist in MM. Since the album was renamed I have rebooted my computer (Win7 x64) and restarted MM.
I think if this occurrence was removed from MM all would be OK.
I was able to manually delete it from MM but why was this necessary?

As I've been going through the clean-up some of the changes are immediately reflected in MM and others never seem to be reflected. What am I doing wrong?
If u tags your mp3 files in MediaMonkey or any other application but the changes not reflected in windows media player or in windows explorer then there is problem with your ID Tag version. Just open your mp3 file in Mp3tag program and look whether it has APE ID tag, ID3v1 or ID3v2 tag. If it showing APE or other tag other than ID3v1 or ID3v2 tag just try to remove from there. And keep only ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

You can download mp3tag program from here:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

How To Remove APE Tag from mp3 file using Mp3Tag program:

To remove APE tag, open your mp3 file in this program.

Go to tools > options > click tags > Select mpeg and in "remove" section select APE and uncheck ID3v1 & ID3v2 option.

In in "read" section select All available tag option. Restart your program. done...........

Now you can view whether your mp3 file has APE tag or not, select all mp3 files which have marked as having tag APE or !BAD and right click on selected mp3 files and click "Remove Tag" option. Done.....