13000 of my files will not add to my library and other probl

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

thesnappysneezer

13000 of my files will not add to my library and other probl

Post by thesnappysneezer »

I just updated to Windows 7 from xp and went ahead and bought the Gold version. Same library, and it will play the files from the folder in my computer but it will not add all of my files to my library.This is maddening, they were in it before.

Aside from this, I am finding the program to be slower, often times freezing, going white screened as loading. The clock counter often times not moving or even showing. Sometimes there are gaps between songs. Scrolling down and choosing another track to play can take 10's of seconds to switch over where as before this was not the case. None of this was the case.

The way I arrange media monkey does not always stay memorized. Pardon my lack of proper terminology. At the top of Media Monkey there are generally three columns, you can set to whatever you want. Often times these revert to two or they can revert to three, not the three I like. Also sometimes, the arrangement of the regular list I choose can realign itself.

I do not save my music in the MyMusic folder in C, I have another location, I set it to this other location but it forgot, and started putting music in another one, likewise before it remembered these things.

Has this program gotten worse with newer version or newer version of Windows? I thought I was pretty up to date with the program before. Maybe the Gold version is lesser quality than the free one? It seems not very good as managing a large collection, about 47000 files. It use to be great at this. What happened to my favourite program? Please tell me what to do to make this better? Is there a better safer, more functioning past build of this that I should get? Maybe they updated it while I was switching os?

Anyway please help, I have loved Media Monkey for ages, I use to have a gold version before years ago but lost it when a hd died and lost the codes. I finally get gold again and feel that it isn't up to the snuff it was when I had free one a few days ago, though it may be something that comes with 7, everything else on my pc is running perfectly fine and smooth and so much better than before. What is wrong with my mediamonkey. Any advice on how to fix this please provide and many thanks.
rovingcowboy

Re: 13000 of my files will not add to my library and other p

Post by rovingcowboy »

Its windows 7 not mm. You might also have the messed up hd id number issue if you saved the mmdb file from the xp install and reused it in the win7 install.
Win 7 changed where things are saved so you might need to overinstall mm and let mm inport the old mmdb file info he should do that correcting the xp info to the new op info. Should but might not.
A total uninstall and reinstall might be needed but that will lose all playcounts and playlists.
Check in the forums for posts on changing to new computers, i have one linked on the helpful messages page i have in my signature.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
thesnappysneezer

Oh I did a fresh install of media monkey from a fresh download, I basically had to reinstall everything. I also need to note music plays back sort of skippy like a cd in a discman that is being shaken, or a record with a scratch. These skips are not in the same place twice when played and I have checked via other players, this does not happen so I do not believe it to be the files. I do not want to use those other players however, I want to use mediamonkey. I know this is something off of how this fine program should be working. Thanks for the link by the by.
thesnappysneezer

Trying to update a tracks info by clicking it to change properties causes a stall and delay for the menu to pop up to alter. It was never like this before.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

oh okay your welcome for the link.
So it is a new install of mm you did and you did not keep the old xp mmdb file.
I'm not sure why it would be doing that stuff then since new would be just like adding it to xp as a new install.
I know win7 used new hardware and newer type of ram. but it would use old xp stuff if the mb was bult for upgrading to win7.
so did you upgrade or get a new system with new hardware? the old xp ram might be causing some of the slowness if you upgraded just the op system.
:-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
thesnappysneezer

I actually did put the windows 7 on a new hd and transferred my music files so as to use my old hd as a backup drive. the only thing the same is the music which isn't skipping in other programs so it is a good transfer of data. But yeah no transfer of old mediamonkey, I didn't want to bother with that. I kind of wanted a fresh start of almost everything but my music files. I just put acd in and though I had selected the tags, the tags didn't take when I changed the direction the files were going to.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you check the Entire Library (enable under File > Manage Collections) Collection for the files? Often files are in a different Collection. Otherwise check Notes here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... /4.0#Notes
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
thesnappysneezer

that seems ok, I did realize I have done two things that could be complicating it. One is I put in Media Monkey Server, which, may be interacting werid with it. I can not find a way to uninstall it. The other thing I did was copy over the skin I use to have on my old hd. I would have downloaded it again but the one I use and prefer was no longer downloadable, Zekton RedCurrant. Right now I want to get rid of the Media Monkey Server as it does not work as well as the PS3 Media Server when ever I want to use it. I have tried other skins with similar difficulty, though so I am hoping this is some sort of flaw with MeidaMonkey Server.
thesnappysneezer

How do I uninstall MediaMonkey Server?

I am having problems with MediaMonkey and on the other end of the server, my PS3, it doesn't seem to work well anyway, so I want to delete it but I am unsure as to how I can do it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey Server can be disabled under Tools > Options > Media Server, however it doesn't interfere with scanning files.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

It does the same for me. Won't put in a little over 4000 songs because doesn't meet the critera. (Or so it says) I also use Windows 7. It says at the bottom also that it did not export 63 songs. When I click show errors it lists (the 63 songs) only and mainly it's from some scores and says the file names are too short. Odd because they used to go in fine. Doesn't tell me why it won't put in the 4000+ songs.
MediaMonkey fan since 2006/ Last.FM Profile / 8Tracks Profile
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

An idea? Check a few of the songs for drm in the properties of them maybe thats the cause,
Not sure how they do it yet but some cd's allow you to copy from them but wont allow the copys to be moved, dino and ol'blue eyes were a couple artists i had that issue with, if this is the case with all your songs then you will have to find away to convert all the songs to wav and reconvert to your preferred format. You might even have to record wav's from the songs then copy the data from the songs to the wav's and then convert.

It might not be drm as it might also be something about the bit format of the songs, as the converting to wav put them back to 16bit files too. So i'm not sure which was the exact cause of my issue.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The 4000 can include any type of files like images (Album Art), text files (log, cue, lyrics) and other files like office documents, executables, etc. I'm not aware of a filename length limitation (too short) however under Tools > Options > Library there are settings to ignore short file sizes/durations.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

rovingcowboy wrote:An idea? Check a few of the songs for drm in the properties of them maybe thats the cause,
Not sure how they do it yet but some cd's allow you to copy from them but wont allow the copys to be moved, dino and ol'blue eyes were a couple artists i had that issue with, if this is the case with all your songs then you will have to find away to convert all the songs to wav and reconvert to your preferred format. You might even have to record wav's from the songs then copy the data from the songs to the wav's and then convert.

It might not be drm as it might also be something about the bit format of the songs, as the converting to wav put them back to 16bit files too. So i'm not sure which was the exact cause of my issue.

I don't "think" any of my songs are drm protected but perhaps a few slipped through. Will check on the wav issue thanks
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Lowlander wrote:The 4000 can include any type of files like images (Album Art), text files (log, cue, lyrics) and other files like office documents, executables, etc. I'm not aware of a filename length limitation (too short) however under Tools > Options > Library there are settings to ignore short file sizes/durations.
This could be it as well. Lots of music and folders so there's who know what in there. Will make sure I Have the library set up to ignore short files. I used to but with the clean install not sure if it's checked again.