Drive Letter vs. Drive Name

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cjboorman

Drive Letter vs. Drive Name

Post by cjboorman »

I just bought and installed MediaMonkey, and I'm struggling to get it to just play a song...

I let MediaMonkey scan my music collection (I started the scan and then went to bed), and it completed successfully (or so it said) three hours later. But when I tried to play an mp3 from my collection, a Warning appeared that read
Files from the following locations are currently inaccessible:
[an empty list of locations]
Please reconnect the drive, insert the CDs, or save the tracks to the Virtual CD.

What the heck are you talking about MediaMonkey - this makes any no sense to me!
  • I never disconnected a drive, I don't use CDs, and I've never heard of a "Virtual CD."
  • Your list of locations doesn't contain any items.
  • Your dialog box options are kind of inappropriate for a warning: Cancel, Retry, and Ignore.
Cancel and Retry didn't help, but pressing Ignore made something weird happen. It looked like it was going to play the song, but then it just highlighted each song in the folder - one after another (pausing for about half a second on each one), until it reached the bottom of the list - and then it stopped.

So is this kind of thing happen a lot with MediaMonkey? Is this a known issue, and is it easy to correct??? :roll:

Thanks,

Chris.
cjboorman

Re: Drive Letter vs. Drive Name

Post by cjboorman »

Oh - I forgot to mention that the fully-qualified path name for some music files includes the drive letter at the beginning; but others use the drive name in place of the drive letter. Why?

Thanks,

Chris.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

It's saying that the drive where you've scanned your media files is not available. Right-click a track > Find more from same > folder (explorer). does it open the correct location in windows explorer?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Maybe the folder the drive is on is protected from editing/reading. I recently changed computers and when I put in my other hard drives, the lettering was messed up so I had to go into the system to manually change the new drive name, and then change it in my programs. Could something like this be the issue?
MediaMonkey fan since 2006/ Last.FM Profile / 8Tracks Profile