Can't add library, database is locked

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jbird

Can't add library, database is locked

Post by jbird »

I have been using MM for years but recently reinstalled os (win7), reinstalled MM, and am trying to add library.
It gets part of the way in (300 files of my 160GB+database) and hangs. I see in the lower part of MM multiple directories being read and not continuing, stuck on the current file count.
I've tried uninstall/reinstalling MM.

I get this error:
There was a problem querying the databse:
Could not retrieve data "SELECT * FROM Medias WHERE SerialNumber = 11876383537
*:database is locked (5,5)

How do I unlock database?

Files are stored on external HD. Running Win 7. Did notice files are read-only, but should that matter to just read/ add library?
jbird

Re: Can't add library, database is locked

Post by jbird »

AND, apparently there's a bug on this forum page. When I click submit, there is not indication my post was submitted....so I clicked Submit again and now looked to see I have a bunch of the same posts. Might want to notify poster it was submitted....forum moderator can delete my multiple redundancies?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try restarting the PC. Do you run any additional Addons? It also could be security/backup software locking the database file.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
jbirdsd

Post by jbirdsd »

I have restarted multiple times. (have been working on this for 2 days) The only plug in I've added is MonkeyMote.
I don't have security software installed ( I just am getting back up and running after OS re install) so there's very little on this box. I mostly only use it for my music - - so especially annoying that it no longer works for that.

Sad...I've liked using monkey tunes these last years. Guess it's over between us :(

ps
Have tried building library in windows medial player and no issue. So, seems my source files ARE NOT the problem (regardless of read only)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is the DB in the default location (http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17)?

Maybe sending a debug log (step 4b) capturing the database lock to support gives more insight: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Or use Process explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

and see what program is accessing the MM.DB file.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jbird

Post by jbird »

Seems to be periodic bad files. In the process bar, it shows what files it's stuck on. When I check in in Windows Explorer, no file name is shown.
If I try to copy it, mssg "can't read file from disc"
If I try to delete the prob file, MM has locked it.
So I go to MM and try to end process. Nothing happens. I try to close MM ...window goes away, but in Task Manager, still open and have to End Process there before I can delete file in Explorer.

Re open MM, restart Add Library, until it hangs again on next bad file. ....then repeat...

Why can't MM just skip the bad file and keep a log to tell me where they are?
This is the same library I have always used...these bad files where here before when I loaded MM library in previous installs....??
why now this issue of locking/freezing etc? And why not mssg to user that that is the problem instead of locking library and hanging with no clue?

Tried loading same source files to Windows Media Player and NO ISSUE. Doesn't hang, freeze.

Also, when I check *.mp3 file counts between source and MM, MM seems to be short a few in each folder/genre (example, source = 1350, MM = 1337). how do I find out what it's not adding?????
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can capture the scan in log (step 4b) as it may show more on what's causing problems (send it to support): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69

Corrupted files can cause problems as they're corrupted.

Did you check file total of music files or all files? Sometimes there is Artwork, log or CUE files in the music files directory. MediaMonkey 4.1 (in Windows Beta Testing forum) will provide more information about scan.
jbird

Post by jbird »

I believe I checked total music files.
I did a search in Explorer for *.mp3 per genre subfolder.
jbird

Post by jbird »

Tried installing debug version to do bug report in 4b.
Error:

c\prgrom files\mediamonkey\mediamonkey.exe
an error occured while trying to replace existing fiels
deleteFile Failed; code 5
access denied

Istall failed.

HONESTLY! Days I'm wasting on this.......where other players just work.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That means MediaMonkey hasn't been closed or that something on your system has a lock on the file. Make sure that you exit MediaMonkey prior to installing (and maybe restart the PC).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Error code 5 is common windows problem not just for MMW but also for almost any app that "REQUIRE" restart apron install due the file lock.

I added http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=171 that should help with both MMW and any other future problem with MMW and any other apps.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum