MM takes too long to play a new song

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kpket

MM takes too long to play a new song

Post by kpket »

It takes too long whenever I try to open a new file (when the player is already up and running) is there a way to fix it? I'm using win 8.1 x64
bmilner

Re: MM takes too long to play a new song

Post by bmilner »

How long do you mean? If I double click on a file it takes about 3-4 seconds to start playing (which I agree is too long) but if I click PREV or NEXT, the track selected will play immediately.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Don't know if either of you have this .. but I have found if I have songs on external drives then first song to play might take longer because external might need to spin up. Depending on settings secondary internal drives can do this also
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
kpket

Post by kpket »

When I double click a file it takes maybe more than 15 to 20 secs. Only the first song loads fast. Same story with my laptop.
PS: it's an internal drive and it's definitely not from sleep.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I can't replicate, can you please open support ticket and supply debug log as described here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Are you talking about when double clicking a file from windows explorer?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

if you are in the my computer area in mediamonkey's directory tree you are really using the my computer area in your computer. it is a little tricky to remember that but, that is not mediamonkey's control in there, he controls the other things in his directory tree.
so if you are using that area of his tree then you are doing what nohitter151 is asking. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
From your log it is clearly seen that windows do not send MMW filename correctly. I can't observe that behavior on both of my PCs.

Do you observe same behavior if you right click and select play next in MediaMonkey?
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
kpket

Post by kpket »

Hi,
Yep still takes a very long time to shoe up in the mow playing list when I right click a song and select play next on mediamonkey.
Wakk047

Post by Wakk047 »

I have this exact problem. When I double-click an .mp3, .flac, etc. from Windows Explorer on Win 8.1, MediaMonkey will immediately start flashing in the task bar, but takes a good 30 secs to load the song and start playing. I see the same behavior with any right-click context menu options. During this time, Explorer is unresponsive with a wait cursor. Songs do, however immediately appear in the playlist if I drag and drop them from Explorer.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I've had this problem before, years ago. I don't remember what the solution was or if it was just a matter of
updating (what version are you using).

Interestingly, it looks like Peke was on the case but "seems" to have disappeared.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
Wakk047

Post by Wakk047 »

MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

You may want to consider upgrading to .1711rc2, especially if you weren't having trouble with it before.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Wakk047 wrote:I have this exact problem. When I double-click an .mp3, .flac, etc. from Windows Explorer on Win 8.1, MediaMonkey will immediately start flashing in the task bar, but takes a good 30 secs to load the song and start playing. I see the same behavior with any right-click context menu options. During this time, Explorer is unresponsive with a wait cursor. Songs do, however immediately appear in the playlist if I drag and drop them from Explorer.
your describing the lack of cache room in the op system for loading files. i suggest a good clean out of the junk files and the clearing of the ram. i use ccleaner and for ram i use maxmem from analogx.com check if those or others for your system can fix your issue. it might also be a filled hard drive if you only got 200 mb's free left on the hard drive it is filled. it takes that much for the hd software to work. that could also becausing the slowdown. you might if you have room like 1 or more gbs of freespace on the hd. go in to the options for the system and set up swap files on all the hard drives so there is a gathering place to help speed up the loading from a huge hard drive. think of it like landing zones and home base, c drive is home base and the other drives are the landing zones always better to have space for a lz then just do a parachute drop. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.