Confused about "Collections"

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

windcrest77
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:28 pm
Contact:

Confused about "Collections"

Post by windcrest77 »

I'm assuming the idea of adding a "Collection" is if I have multiple disk drives indexed by MM, that I could then segregate the root drive letters of those disk drives into "Collections". Is this correct? I tried adding a new collection but it appears that they do pretty much the same thing as an auto-playlist, that is just run a view based on some criteria of stuff on the DB. I couldn't find a criteria that just let me make a collection of, for example the root of my NAS drive... and another collection that was my C: drive... and another collection that is a miscellaneous USB drive I happen to have mapped to F:, etc.

How can I use collections to segregate the MM database by physical media root meaning the root drive letter or share name of a network drive. So it only includes the media on that device? I saw that I could enter a "Path/Filename"... Would that do the trick?

I'm confused about what collections are if not to segregate the physical drives. I've never bothered to use collections before, but now that have several drives, some I leave at home, some I take to the studio, etc, it makes sense if I could get the left side "tree" to only represent the indexing of a particular drive letter or network share name.
nohitter151
Posts: 23640
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 am
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Re: Confused about "Collections"

Post by nohitter151 »

windcrest77 wrote:I'm assuming the idea of adding a "Collection" is if I have multiple disk drives indexed by MM, that I could then segregate the root drive letters of those disk drives into "Collections". Is this correct?

The idea is to segregate media files into different "Collections" based on certain criteria. You could do this by different paths, different file types, or any number of other criteria.
windcrest77 wrote:I tried adding a new collection but it appears that they do pretty much the same thing as an auto-playlist, that is just run a view based on some criteria of stuff on the DB. I couldn't find a criteria that just let me make a collection of, for example the root of my NAS drive... and another collection that was my C: drive... and another collection that is a miscellaneous USB drive I happen to have mapped to F:, etc.

How can I use collections to segregate the MM database by physical media root meaning the root drive letter or share name of a network drive. So it only includes the media on that device? I saw that I could enter a "Path/Filename"... Would that do the trick?
Yes, use the "Path/filename" criteria.
windcrest77 wrote:I'm confused about what collections are if not to segregate the physical drives. I've never bothered to use collections before, but now that have several drives, some I leave at home, some I take to the studio, etc, it makes sense if I could get the left side "tree" to only represent the indexing of a particular drive letter or network share name.
There are lots of possibilities for collections, for example to keep movie files separate from TV, podcast, music, etc.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
bgibbard
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Confused about "Collections"

Post by bgibbard »

Another important use of Collections is to give control over certain display options in the player. By default the Classical Music collection is set up to display the <Composer> followed by the <Title> of the track, while the general Music collection is set up to display the <Artist> followed by the <Title>. These are configurable if you have the Gold version under Tools > Options > Player > Playback Rules
Post Reply