Crashing, freezing & glitching

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

channelsteve

Crashing, freezing & glitching

Post by channelsteve »

I run MM 4.1 beta, following the updates religiously. I have been experiencing regular crashing, freezing, song-part looping and short glitches regularly since moving to MM4, and these issues haven't gone away in 4.1
I imagine it's got something to do with concurrent processes being too heavy, but I really couldn't be sure. Until recently I was using DirectSound as the output, but last week changed to WASAPI (default config). The glitching on tag updates has gotten worse, cross-fade is pretty bad, with the end few seconds of the previous song sometimes repeating, or the beginning of the next song coming in late. My library has 115,000 tracks (1.08TB) in it, and I only use it for audio.

On occasion everything works beautifully, but that's not often. On most days I can be guaranteed to have a track hang MM and I have to close it through Task Manager.
Any suggestions as to why this is?

Note: I tested WinAmp and JRiver, and both play through my PC configuration smoothly. I'd switch to JRiver, but MM tag manipulation flexibility and Discogs integration is more important to me.
Lowlander

Re: Crashing, freezing & glitching

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4.1 is now a final release: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 98#p382698

You may want to start with File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled. Also do you use any Addons?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
channelsteve

Post by channelsteve »

Thanks, I'll give the final release a try, although I haven't seen anything in the release notes about addressing tag update glitches. A simple thing like rating the now-playing track causes one 100% of the time. Adding the lyrics or making any other change to the track does the same thing.

Just did a complete optimization, but I know I've done those regularly.
Are there any changes I need to make to the WASAPI configuration?

I have quite a few add-ons:

Can you see anything dodgy in there?

Thanks

Steve
Peke

Post by Peke »

From screenshot I see that you have lots of Scripts installed.

Can you please install MMW as Portable in separate folder and try to replicate issues like that.

There is possibility that due the updates we fixed something that some of your scripts is in conflicts.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could also close MediaMonkey, rename the Scripts folder to Scripts-off in the MediaMonkey install folder and start MediaMonkey again. This should start it without scripts. With that many installed there is a good chance that one is causing troubles or there is an interaction between 2 or more scripts causing problems.
channelsteve

Post by channelsteve »

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the rename folder option first, then reintroduce scripts one by one.
I'll let you know how it goes.
channelsteve

Post by channelsteve »

I also installed a portable version so I can see the defaults. It runs pretty smoothly out of the box. I'll uninstall all my scripts from my original installation and compare.
As a side question, I see that DirectSound is the default audio output. I have relatively slow hardware and play music from my computer amp/speakers or sometimes via HDMI to my loungeroom Yamaha amp. Is there any reason I should change to WASAPI (I can't hear a difference), and could that introduce performance issues for me?
channelsteve

Post by channelsteve »

I took all scripts and extensions out of my main installation, and still it runs poorly. I think the only recourse I have is to reinstall.
Should I rebuild the entire library, or backup and restore the existing one? If so, where does it reside?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I would do both. Backup and then "maintain library" with complete index and backup again. Nothing like belts and suspenders

If you are running win7 then the files will be in the \users\username\appdata\roaming data\mediamonkey directory.

I would suggest the Backup5.8 addon. It will do the backup for you and zip the file .. pretty sweet tool to have
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not too familiar with output plugins, but I believe only the Exclusive Mode setting in the WASAPI output plugin causes problems for some.
Peke

Post by Peke »

NOTE: Both DirectSound and WASAPI uses all benefits of Hardware Audio Decoding (most Sound cards in past 7 years I saw have some sort of Hardware acceleration), also WASAPI should have lower latency.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
channelsteve

Post by channelsteve »

Thanks for help, all. I've installed from scratch, installed only the very essential scripts and performance is now acceptable. It still glitches a little occasionally, but I can live with that until I get a faster PC.