How to use the new art and lyrics features?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hopelesslylost

How to use the new art and lyrics features?

Post by Hopelesslylost »

Call me stupid but I can't find or figure out how to actually use the new art and lyrics features in 4.1. I tried searching the manuals but there's so much complex and convoluted info about old plugins and code and such, I got further lost. Is there a manual for how to use the new features? For non-coders? You know, mortals?

How do you actually get MM to look up Lyrics? Or Art? Is it explained somewhere?

Thanks!
:oops:
Lowlander

Re: How to use the new art and lyrics features?

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Metadata lookup, then enable the Lyrics field in the Art & Details window for auto-lookup. You can also manually lookup in the Properties dialog on their respective tabs.
jason_a69

Post by jason_a69 »

Lowlander wrote:Tools > Options > Metadata lookup, then enable the Lyrics field in the Art & Details window for auto-lookup. You can also manually lookup in the Properties dialog on their respective tabs.
...and then what? Do I have to highlight every track I want metadata populated for?

Thanks in advance

JAson
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, or leave Art & Details on the Now Playing tab and it will do it automatically for playing tracks. If you're looking for batch editing try an Addon: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ip#p316877
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Congratulation. These are awesome additions to an awesome program!!
jason_a69

Post by jason_a69 »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, or leave Art & Details on the Now Playing tab and it will do it automatically for playing tracks.
Sorry, can you explain that bit a bit further? I cannot get it going. I have set the view mode to "Show art with details" and it is not populating the metadata when I am play a track.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jason_a69 wrote:
Lowlander wrote:Yes, or leave Art & Details on the Now Playing tab and it will do it automatically for playing tracks.
Sorry, can you explain that bit a bit further? I cannot get it going. I have set the view mode to "Show art with details" and it is not populating the metadata when I am play a track.
Wrong place.

View -> "Art & Details" (checked)

In "Art & Details" panel, right-click -> "Choose fields". Check box for "Lyrics" (and any other fields you want to see)

At Options > Metadata lookup, check all the boxes.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jason_a69

Post by jason_a69 »

nohitter151 wrote:
jason_a69 wrote:
Wrong place.

View -> "Art & Details" (checked)

In "Art & Details" panel, right-click -> "Choose fields". Check box for "Lyrics" (and any other fields you want to see)

At Options > Metadata lookup, check all the boxes.
Thanks for that, that works great, just make sure the "now playing" tab is selected on the right, not the "Selected".

I had an idea which was to play all my songs and have the metadata updated but that would take far too long so I downloaded the "song previewer" script from here
http://mediamonkey.wikispaces.com/scripts

I then selected all the songs that did not have any artwork from
"Music / Files to Edit / Unknown artwork" on the left and pasted those songs into a new playlist.

I set up Song previewer ("Play / Song previewer...." tab at the top of the screen) to play the first 25 seconds of a song (anything less and MM crashes) and selected the playlist I just created. It is now running through all the songs in the playlist and populating the metadata.

Saving me an awful lot of work; I can review what it has done when it has finished.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Awesome tip, Jason! I was looking for a way to do just this! Running it now.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I was lost too and then one day while getting Album Art my old normal way by clicking on the "Get Album Art and Properties" icon, I noticed the new Lyrics checkbox. I just checked it and now I get art and/or lyrics by highlighting tracks and clicking the icon. Has worked great.
jason_a69

Post by jason_a69 »

Darryl_Gittins wrote:Awesome tip, Jason! I was looking for a way to do just this! Running it now.
No problem, how did you get on? Mine is still running, I had to do some manual adjustments here and there, especially with some of the compilations I have.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

It's going slowly, Jason. One hiccup is that when MM plays a song and automatically tags it with art, it only tags the one song instead of all the songs on the album. It'd be great if we could change that so that all songs on the album are tagged at the same time.

Hint hint!
:D
jason_a69

Post by jason_a69 »

Darryl_Gittins wrote:It's going slowly, Jason. One hiccup is that when MM plays a song and automatically tags it with art, it only tags the one song instead of all the songs on the album. It'd be great if we could change that so that all songs on the album are tagged at the same time.

Hint hint!
:D
Did you cut and paste all the tracks of an album into the new playlist? It will just run through them sequentially and correct the tags if you did.

Unless I am missing something....
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I think part of the problem is that a lot of tracks point to some an invalid image file so the art is not updated. For example, for a track that does not have art, I open the artwork tab, and I see one or more generic images that look like a faded blue record with a music symbol. Image here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... oto%2c.jpg

If I manually delete each of those, then the Art is updated. It looks like this is discussed here, and from what I can tell there is no easy way to reset all of those bad links in one operation. It has to be done manually for each album.

:(
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5538
"If you move, delete or rename an existing linked Album Art in an external application, e.g. explorer, and then rescan the Album to refresh what you have changed, the internal reference to the image in the Covers table is not removed. MM is still trying to display the image in all various views but fails since it doesn't exist. You need to remove it manually."
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Album Art Tagger can remove these images from the files (database): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... art+tagger