Why the long pause before playing songs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

zuilserip

Why the long pause before playing songs

Post by zuilserip »

If I browse one of the top levels of the MM hierarchy (say, Album, Genre or Artist), MM will display essentially all of my music (> 50K songs) on both the main browser window as well as the 'now playing' list. This works fine and the performance is great.

If I click on any of these very many songs on the 'Now Playing' list it starts right away.
If, on the other hand, I click on any song on the main window, MM will pause for ~14-15s before starting the song.
This seems strange because both lists are identical. Why does it take so long to start playing the song from the main window, when it can start immediately from the 'Now Playing' list? MM also starts playing the song immediately when the song is selected from file explorer, or if I select 'Next' or 'Previous'.

Whatever is causing this strange delay is clearly caused to the number of tracks on the main window, since if I select a specific album or artist, the song will start right away from either the 'Now Playing' or main window.

What am I missing?

FWIW, I'am using MM Version 4.1.0.1692 and have both all of my music and my MM Database on an extremely fast SSD.
Lowlander

Re: Why the long pause before playing songs

Post by Lowlander »

Likely you're loading the whole list in the Now Playing (again) and this takes a bit due to database access for so many files. If the files are already in the Now Playing you start playback from the Now Playing.
zuilserip

Post by zuilserip »

Lowlander wrote:Likely you're loading the whole list in the Now Playing (again) and this takes a bit due to database access for so many files. If the files are already in the Now Playing you start playback from the Now Playing.
Thanks Lowlander, that makes sense. Is there any way to avoid this? Why does it need to 'reload' the entire now playing list when I select a song to play? I like browsing through the main window since this is where all of the metadata is visible. Once I find a song a want to play, it would take forever to find it in the very long 'now playing' list.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Because you're telling it to do so, double clicking a file in the Library is the default instruction to load the files listed in the Now Playing. If you want a more elaborate Now Playing you can use the Now Playing node (note: both the Now Playing Window and Now Playing node allow you to edit which columns are shown).