Headless MediaMonkey?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sshaikh

Headless MediaMonkey?

Post by sshaikh »

I currently use MM on my windows desktop, where all my use cases are fulfilled:

IPod sync
Android sync
Universal and globally contributed to playcount/dates

However MM remains the last service I use which I am unable to centralise. What I want is a central place to stream music and sync devices from, while globally maintaining play counts.

What are the current options/disadvantages to running MM as a service? I'm not expecting iPod sync (unless its possible to "pass through" a windows machine), but Android and dnla should work. Does dnla respect playcounts?

I tried searching but the strategy didn't seem that clear.
dtsig

Re: Headless MediaMonkey?

Post by dtsig »

Yes .. dlna does respect the playcount/date. I and some others have had problem with the service but for many it works great. So for me I just leave MMW running. If the service works for you it should work fine for your needs.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
sshaikh

Post by sshaikh »

Thanks!

How do I install it? Do I need a Windows server (I'd probably use a virtual machine)? Would I install the normal client version on it and just have it run as normal or is there a server/service mode?

How would I access it from my windows/PC desktop? Does MM have a "client" mode, or is there a web interface that I've missed?

I presume my Android could sync over Wifi, but how would I sync my iPod?

I feel that I'm missing something here...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sshaikh wrote:Thanks!

How do I install it? Do I need a Windows server (I'd probably use a virtual machine)? Would I install the normal client version on it and just have it run as normal or is there a server/service mode?

How would I access it from my windows/PC desktop? Does MM have a "client" mode, or is there a web interface that I've missed?

I presume my Android could sync over Wifi, but how would I sync my iPod?

I feel that I'm missing something here...
Service is installed from the MM options if I remember correctly at Options > Media sharing. Yes you need to install on Windows (it installs as a windows service). So yes you install normal client version, go into MM options, and install service.

Access it from your desktop by installing another instance of MM and accessing it through the Media server node. Though for your purposes it sounds like you have 1 desktop, no need to run a virtual machine just to run the service. Just install the service on the PC. When you open MM it can run alongside the service.

Android can sync over Wifi but iPod requires a USB sync.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sshaikh

Post by sshaikh »

I don't want to run my desktop to allow clients to access MM - I'll install on the server. As it's Windows only I'd need to host that in a VM (server is Linux).

But thank you for the tips, I'll have a play soon.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sshaikh wrote:I don't want to run my desktop to allow clients to access MM - I'll install on the server. As it's Windows only I'd need to host that in a VM (server is Linux).

But thank you for the tips, I'll have a play soon.
FYI you cannot sync iPod with the service or with MM accessing media as client.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.