Auto-organize but cannot edit

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

PDoyle

Auto-organize but cannot edit

Post by PDoyle »

I'm stuck with 6000 files needing to be organized...when I try to auto-organize them, I see red rows and some yellow rows. I think I'm suppose to edit the yellow rows; but all I can tell is the artist is Boston, but cannot determine the title. Can I play these yellow highlighted files, and maybe recognize the titles by ear? It looks like even if I can get them to play (cannot so far), I won't necessarily recognize the songs. I guess I could use Shazam...but it seems like it will take weeks to accomlish this. Please advise how I can play these files; and if I'm missing something automated? The results I get are like chinese to me when I don't speak chinese...It seems easier to just play the song in iTunes and correct the tags there. thanks
Lowlander

Re: Auto-organize but cannot edit

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Organize Files won't tag the files, it will rename the folder/filenames based on the existing tags. Red means you'll loose files if you proceed as files with the same folder/filename will overwrite each other.

Auto-Tag from Filename can tag using the folder/filenames. Proceed with caution and verify results before applying them.

Auto-Tag from Web can tag from Amazon per Album and requires at least the Artist or the Album to be known (both best) to get accurate results (drop-down often has multiple results, choose the best match). Use with caution and verify results before applying them. Auto-Tag from Web can be enhanced with other sources: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ip#p316877

Shazam uses audio fingerprinting (if I'm not mistaken) and probably would be more accurate and easier to use if you lack even basic tags like Album and Artist.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........thanks so much! I just learned what I could not understand through hours using Help :D
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

Lowlander wrote:Auto-Organize Files won't tag the files, it will rename the folder/filenames based on the existing tags. Red means you'll loose files if you proceed as files with the same folder/filename will overwrite each other.

Auto-Tag from Filename can tag using the folder/filenames. Proceed with caution and verify results before applying them.

Auto-Tag from Web can tag from Amazon per Album and requires at least the Artist or the Album to be known (both best) to get accurate results (drop-down often has multiple results, choose the best match). Use with caution and verify results before applying them. Auto-Tag from Web can be enhanced with other sources: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ip#p316877

Shazam uses audio fingerprinting (if I'm not mistaken) and probably would be more accurate and easier to use if you lack even basic tags like Album and Artist.
So I need to Tag all the files first accurately, before organizing the files? Makes sense, how can i organize without knowing what the file is.

Also; I have many files with unanalyzed volume, but when I select them and click analyze volume, the screen jumps once, but nothing appears to happen.

Plus, I cannot get jpeg photo files out of MM, even though I deselected jpeg for folder monitoring; and I've tried to delete photos manually; but they remain.
thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are 2 Volumes, Track Volume and Album Volume. Track Volume should always be calculated on selected files when using Analyze Volume, but Album Volume will only be calculated when all files on the Album are selected.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

you can't play them at all or just in auto-organize mode? Being in the situation you are in, I don't think there is a way to tag without it taking forever. I haven't
seen any evidence for Shazam/MM support.

I don't have alot of files without some kind of tag id. When I do come across one i'm pretty good at IDing something
about it. When I don't have anything to go on I listen for a few words or phrase and then type "song word word word word word" (the word "song" is literal)
into a search engine. This almost always works to find artist and lyric info to id the song. However, again, this will take forever
with a lot of tunes.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Have jpegs been showing up "since" you first started using folder monitoring?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

MMFrLife wrote:Have jpegs been showing up "since" you first started using folder monitoring?
I'm not certain; maybe yes, but I have deselected video extensions like mp4.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Patrick Doyle wrote:I've tried to delete photos manually
If you did this "outside" of MM before folder monitoring it might not have picked up the changes.
Unless, folder monitoring picks up past changes. I don't use Folder Monitoring so not sure.
Check locate moved/missing files to see if any jpegs show up.

Anyway, images are not supposed to show up in the library. This has come up recently a couple of times so maybe devs are/will look(ing) into.
In the meantime, check that criteria in Music collection has Property = Type, Condition = equals, Value = Music, Classical Music.
You can also try sorting by extension column and > select all jpegs > right-click > Remove > "remove library only".

Did you see post before my last jpeg post.
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

MMFrLife wrote:
Patrick Doyle wrote:I've tried to delete photos manually
If you did this "outside" of MM before folder monitoring it might not have picked up the changes.
Unless, folder monitoring picks up past changes. I don't use Folder Monitoring so not sure.
Check locate moved/missing files to see if any jpegs show up.

Anyway, images are not supposed to show up in the library. This has come up recently a couple of times so maybe devs are/will look(ing) into.
In the meantime, check that criteria in Music collection has Property = Type, Condition = equals, Value = Music, Classical Music.
You can also try sorting by extension column and > select all jpegs > right-click > Remove > "remove library only".

Did you see post before my last jpeg post.
yes i think so; you describe finding songs by searching with words.

Question please: to correct the tags manually, I'm listing the unsynchronized files by Path; then right click each track for Properties; make corrections. I am then analyzing volume; then I synchronize the updated tag. Anything else I should do to make sure the tags are permanent? I'd like to correct the album art too, but don't see that option in properties.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Patrick Doyle wrote:right click each track
Each track? If the unanalyzed tracks have a unique identifier you can either sort them by column or create a collection for isolation.
Patrick Doyle wrote:I'd like to correct the album art too, but don't see that option in properties.
select file(s) > properties > artwork tab
What do you mean by correct?......to work with/manipulate art that's already there or you don't see any art there and need to download some?
You can also use auto-tag from web.

as far as permanence, just do what you need to do on a few test files/albums > check in MM > shut MM down and restart > check to see if
everything is still there and if it is, make sure you are backing things up along the way.
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

MMFrLife wrote:
Patrick Doyle wrote:right click each track
Each track? If the unanalyzed tracks have a unique identifier you can either sort them by column or create a collection for isolation.
Patrick Doyle wrote:I'd like to correct the album art too, but don't see that option in properties.
select file(s) > properties > artwork tab
What do you mean by correct?......to work with/manipulate art that's already there or you don't see any art there and need to download some?
You can also use auto-tag from web.

as far as permanence, just do what you need to do on a few test files/albums > check in MM > shut MM down and restart > check to see if
everything is still there and if it is, make sure you are backing things up along the way.
I can edit the tags, found the album art tab (thanks) but the tracks continue to show up in Unorganized Tracks list, even after I shut down then reopen MM. Thought I synchronized the tags...How do I figure what values need to be added so the tag is "organized'?
Plus I'm creating multiple copies of same file as I'm duplicating with changes to tags. Should I change the duplicating, and simply move the file according to filename, to avoid duplicates? If I do that, iTunes will lose tracks..but i guess i don't have to use iTunes anymore. I'm just more comfortable with it; simpler GUI. Yet I do like to stream iTunes through my Airport Express to home audio system. Can MM do that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Patrick Doyle wrote:but the tracks continue to show up in Unorganized Tracks list
Files to Edit > Unorganized Tracks are files that don't have the same Path as set under Tools > Options > Auto-Organize.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

what file type are you working with? .....as .wav has bad/inconsistent tag support.
how are you getting an Unorganized Tracks list to appear?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMFrLife wrote:how are you getting an Unorganized Tracks list to appear?
Files to Edit > Unorganized Files.