Auto-organize but cannot edit

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

Re: Auto-organize but cannot edit

Post by MMFrLife »

yeah, I found it, thanks. I had forgotten about that, as mine have always been organized in some way for years. :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
track properties; dir/fn mask configurations; check out ZvezdanD's scripts
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Backup 6.0; Clear Now Playing Button 1.2
...always back it up, especially before doing anything major!!!
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Patrick Doyle wrote:Plus I'm creating multiple copies of same file as I'm duplicating with changes to tags.
huh? You mean creating copies for test purposes?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime since 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
MMW 4.1.18.1842b; fav scripts > RegExp Find & Replace 5.1.0; Magic Nodes 5.1.0; Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix 3.8.2;
Win. explorer alt. for power users [free]; great file/folder renamer [used by nasa]
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

Lowlander wrote:
Patrick Doyle wrote:but the tracks continue to show up in Unorganized Tracks list
Files to Edit > Unorganized Tracks are files that don't have the same Path as set under Tools > Options > Auto-Organize.
Oh OK so it seems a file could be tagged accurately, yet still appear in "unorganized trackss" list...because it's organized differently than what i've set. So I need to change the Path I've set under autoorganize, correct?

My goal is to have every file tagged accurately with title/artist/album artist/album/track #/album art
I don't know that I care about anything else. Can you suggest a Path that will capture this? Despite reading and researching I cannot understand how to set these up...

With this goal achieved, I'll be able to find particular songs/albums I want to listen to or sync with my android galaxy S5 and iTunes; and also eliminate the hundreds/thousands of duplicate song tracks in my collection. When using Google Music, Amazon Music cloud services, it's amazing how many of my tracks come back to me with totally wrong album art. Even using iTunes...somehow, I have hundreds of songs with the album art of Stone's "it's only Rock n roll' , or even "Baby Got Back."

BTW I only deal with mp3 files; VBR. any FLAC, WMA or ACC are converted.
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

MMFrLife wrote:
Patrick Doyle wrote:Plus I'm creating multiple copies of same file as I'm duplicating with changes to tags.
huh? You mean creating copies for test purposes?
it's more that I'm afraid to delete anything until I'm confident on using MM...e.g. I'm trying to keep the same file folder structure I'm using for iTunes, so iTunes doesn't lose all the files I work on.
I keep going back to iTunes as I never have felt I knew how to use MM, even after paying for the Gold version. I'll try to use MM for a few weeks, then get frustrated I don't know how to use it. Then I read a review of how MM is highly rated for big collections, and I try to learn it again.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Patrick Doyle wrote:My goal is to have every file tagged accurately with title/artist/album artist/album/track #/album art
Can you suggest a Path that will capture this?
As an example of how auto-organize works:

as Lowlander said before, auto-organize doesn't tag. It Moves or Copies files into folders (path) that
you create while at the same time you can also rename the files.

Ex. of destination path, C:\Fldr name\Fldr name\Fldr name\<Track#:2> <Title>

When you are looking at some of your files in it
the "Folder" part of that destination field is: C:\Fldr name\Fldr name\Fldr name\

The "File rename" part of that field is: <Track#:2> <Title>

if you use "title/artist/album artist/album/track #/album art" as the Folder part of the path, a folder
would be created with the name of the title which would then be inside a folder of the artist which
would then be inside a folder of the album artist and so on....... until the file.

if you use the Filename part for "title/artist/album artist/album/track #/album art" the format would be:
<Title> <artist> <album artist> <album> <Track#:2> <album art> .......where the album art instruction would be incorrect.
So then the result would be "a FILENAME" with:
Love is in the air Junebug Jackson Junebug Jackson(or various) Love is Wonderful 01 [album art would not be provided]

You see, this is not a tagging scheme it's a path and filename scheme. Remember, tagging, in and of itself, is not organizing. It's merely "identifying"
so you can then organize by the columns and/or collections, tree, etc. The process of "moving" stuff around is organizing.

You would have to use Auto-tag from web (but you would have to choose proper album info/art from a list and interface.)
or Auto-tag from filename (which is only a partial thing) or use something like Shazam, which we've already been over or
manually or some scripts that "might" help to tag them first.

Usually, ripping auto-tags most of the basics. If you already have them without basic tags it just becomes harder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If Unorganized Files is an issue is up to you. Many won't even bother with setting a Auto-Organize Rule and in the end it merely means that the listed files don't match the rule (folder/filenaming convention) you've set.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)