more weirdness

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

paradive

Re: more weirdness

Post by paradive »

KADEO26 wrote:
paradive wrote:
KADEO26 wrote:I have just updated Backup to V6 and note that the new version contains an option to include "Export M3Us" (save all playlists as M3U files)!
do you have the option of setting them where to save to?
Yes
paradive wrote:[is there a .wpl option?
No ..... WMP will read M3U files and convert them to WPL, if requested
i see.
just a hassle.
i'm looking for a full-on REPLACEMENT for WMP.

I downloaded the backup script.
where/how do i run it?
KADEO26

Post by KADEO26 »

This is how I installed v5.8:

To install most addons other than plug-ins:

1. Download an addon from the MediaMonkey Addons site.

a. For example, Backup 5.8
b. Save as MediaMonkey_Backup_5.8.mmip in a Downloads folder

3. Double-click the downloaded .MMIP file to install the extension - MediaMonkey will be loaded

a. Product Installation dialog box - click Install Now
b. Information dialog box will display “Successfully Installed” - click OK
c. Restart MediaMonkey

4. The new functionality will be accessible - before use, in Windows, create C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup folder (or other destination)

a. Click Tools>Scripts>Backup
b. The Backup interface will be presented - select options (as required - examples below)
i. Check :
 Database
 Settings
 Script files
 Skins
 Plugins
 Extensions
ii. Select Output path as C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup (or other destination)
iii. Backup mode is Always create backup
iv. Check :
 Auto Backup on shutdown
 Overwrite previous backup
-> Include Export M3Us
c. Click Backup - Progress and completion will be indicated

If, when you try an open a playlist exported from MM as an m3u file in WMP you get an error "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downloading the playlist." then, in MM, disable the UTF-8 option under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists and try exporting/importing again.
paradive

Post by paradive »

KADEO26 wrote:This is how I installed v5.8:

To install most addons other than plug-ins:

1. Download an addon from the MediaMonkey Addons site.

a. For example, Backup 5.8
b. Save as MediaMonkey_Backup_5.8.mmip in a Downloads folder

3. Double-click the downloaded .MMIP file to install the extension - MediaMonkey will be loaded

a. Product Installation dialog box - click Install Now
b. Information dialog box will display “Successfully Installed” - click OK
c. Restart MediaMonkey

4. The new functionality will be accessible - before use, in Windows, create C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup folder (or other destination)

a. Click Tools>Scripts>Backup
b. The Backup interface will be presented - select options (as required - examples below)
i. Check :
 Database
 Settings
 Script files
 Skins
 Plugins
 Extensions
ii. Select Output path as C:\Users\username\My Audio\MediaMonkey\Backup (or other destination)
iii. Backup mode is Always create backup
iv. Check :
 Auto Backup on shutdown
 Overwrite previous backup
-> Include Export M3Us
c. Click Backup - Progress and completion will be indicated

If, when you try an open a playlist exported from MM as an m3u file in WMP you get an error "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downloading the playlist." then, in MM, disable the UTF-8 option under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists and try exporting/importing again.
what i got after clicking "ok" after "installation successful": https://www.dropbox.com/s/buchnsymf0t88ns/mm%205.PNG
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Might I suggest that in the meantime, while you try things out/practice things, you look back at my post for the locations of the .DB file and
just "copy" it to a folder callled, say, "MM backup" located anywhere outside of the program (preferably on an external).

Then you can go back to whatever it is you were doing/trying to learn.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
paradive

Post by paradive »

MMFrLife wrote:Might I suggest that in the meantime, while you try things out/practice things, you look back at my post for the locations of the .DB file and
just "copy" it to a folder callled, say, "MM backup" located anywhere outside of the program (preferably on an external).

Then you can go back to whatever it is you were doing/trying to learn.
and where might that be (you haven't posted it)?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

paradive wrote:and where might that be (you haven't posted it)?
It's in the 12th post.

I feel like I've seen this movie before :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
paradive

Post by paradive »

MMFrLife wrote:
paradive wrote:and where might that be (you haven't posted it)?
It's in the 12th post.

I feel like I've seen this movie before :wink:
<is too lazy to count>

no matter. i've got it backing up to a subfolder of my music library, so it'll be in my monthly backups.
thanks.
paradive

so let me get this straight?......

Post by paradive »

so since this backup script won't work........
there's no other option?

MM won't work out for me. :(
MMFrLife

Re: so let me get this straight?......

Post by MMFrLife »

Whether or not MM will work for you depends on your needs, goals and personality.

There are many people who don't have "deal breaker" trouble with the script.
Also, the Backup script is neat and all, but it isn't necessary for backing up MM.

I showed you in another thread how to backup manually and you indicated/implied that you didn't see it,
but it was like it didn't matter anyway because you were already doing general backups of your system.

It's one of those things where you're just gonna have to make a decision. I personally "like" knowing how to do
things "manually" because no matter what other method or trick is out there that may or may not work, you have something
more solid (if not always perfect) to fall back on.
😜
dtsig

Re: so let me get this straight?......

Post by dtsig »

paradive wrote:so since this backup script won't work........
there's no other option?

MM won't work out for me. :(
Well since you don't seem to explain what backup script you are talking about i guess you don't really want help but only to rant? I have been using the script Backup 5.8 for a very long time and have been saved by it several times. It was updated to Backup 6.0 and it is even better. With the addition of dotnetzip it appears to work perfectly.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If need help with the Backup Addon post in its forum thread, Trixmoto is really helpful to resolve issue with his Addons.

You can also use any Backup Software instead of the Addon, something I do myself.
paradive

Post by paradive »

to clear things up, i posted a detailed problem with the backup script in its relevant thread.

no replies.

just kinda panicking.

what other methods are there?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

paradive wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote:The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
just seems like a lot of work...
since WMP saves my playlists in with my music folder, i can back it all up in one fell swoop.

MM doesn't seem like much of a "replacement". :-?
sorry for the late reply. on this.

but the windows media player also keeps making the full file of the playlists and stores that in the folder. thus adding the size of the playlist to the folder all the time you make a new playlist. this will eat up the room on the hard drive fast.

the same thing is true of mediamonkeys normal static playlists they are stored as the full file in the mm.db file thus making it take up more and more space.
if you really want to make lots of playlists then the thing to do is use the auto playlists which mediamonkey provides because they are just a set of rules that is saved in the mm.db file that every time you click on the playlist in the directory tree to hear it that auto list runs and fills in the now playling playlist with your preset rules for what songs you want on that playlist. this allows for much less space to be used on the hard drive and gives you more room for other stuff.

so as i said the mm.db file is easy to back up and only thing you need for the playlists to be backed up. how hard is it to make a windows task scheduler to run a windows backup program which microsoft has provided also. to back up just the mm.db automaticly every week or month or year or decade if that is what you want.?

you can not tell me it is too much work to use mediamonkey. i'm running mediamonkey on the system as a jukebox / radio station fully automated and all i need to do is add in music if i have the room or replace hardware when needed. monkey is doing all the work or windows is doing the work because i also have the computer stop monkey and do computer maintan..... and then reboot the computer then restart mediamonkey and go for the day again. it changes playlists on the hour has an auto deejay program called " DJamp " that uses msagents to do anouncements of the songs. on weekdays. and it is just my entertainment like it was ment to be. oh if i want to i can add in more one liners for the dee jay to say.

so wow lots of work?

oh okay setting it up is work and takes time. but all the scripts are in the forum that i use and typing the task jobs up in the windows task scheduler is timely for the 400 playlists i have it change to and from. or the scripts to start and stop and do maint... but i did all that work yr's ago UMmm since 2003 or earlier. i even use karens replicator to do the backup of the songs and system to the usb drive of mine. yes it runs on timers the same as everything esle.

one little thing for you.

if you like something it is not work it is fun.

:D 8)

with 20 to 23 skins i made for mediamonkey you might say i like it and have fun using it. :)
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

paradive wrote:to clear things up, i posted a detailed problem with the backup script in its relevant thread.

no replies.

just kinda panicking.

what other methods are there?
Starting from the beginning of this thread, it seems you just want an easy way to back-up MM.

Why don't you just install MediaMonkey in portable mode right into your music folder? Eg: ..whatever_path\Music\MediaMonkey\

Then the whole MM installation is right in the same folder with the music and the whole thing gets backed up alongside the music.

paradive wrote:is there a .wpl option?
:lol:
I can't imagine any reason why anyone anywhere would want their playlists saved in this terrible, proprietary format that is compatible with nothing besides WMP.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
paradive

Post by paradive »

rovingcowboy wrote:
paradive wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote:The mm.db file it is a hidden one I'm not sure where because versions 3,4 save it in different places. Trixmoto made a backup script to use with mm try that.
just seems like a lot of work...
since WMP saves my playlists in with my music folder, i can back it all up in one fell swoop.

MM doesn't seem like much of a "replacement". :-?
sorry for the late reply. on this.

but the windows media player also keeps making the full file of the playlists and stores that in the folder. thus adding the size of the playlist to the foler all the time you make a new playlist. this will eat up the room on the hard drive fast.

the same thing is true of mediamonkeys normal static playlists they are stored as the full file in the mm.db file thus making it take up more and more space.
if you really want to make lots of playlists then the thing to do is use the auto playlists which mediamonkey provides because they are just a set of rules that is saved in the mm.db file that every time you click on the playlist in the dirctory tree to hear it that auto list runs and fills in the now playling playlist with your preset rules for what songs you want on that playlist. this allows for much less space to be used on the hard drive and gives you more room for other stuff.

so as i said the mm.db file is easy to back up and only thing you need for the playlists to be backed up. how hard is it to make a windows task scheduler to run a windows backup program which microsoft has provided also. to back up just the mm.db automaticly every week or month or year or decade if that is what you want.?

you can not tell me it is too much work to use mediamonkey. i'm running mediamonkey on the system as a jukebox / radio station fully automated and all i need to do is add in music if i have the room or replace hardware when needed. monkey is doing all the work or windows is doing the work because i also have the computer stop monkey and do computer maintan..... and then reboot the computer then restart mediamonkey and go for the day again. it changes playlists on the hour has an auto deejay program called " DJamp " that uses msagents to do anouncements of the songs. on weekdays. and it is just my entertainment like it was ment to be. oh if i want to i can add in more one liners for the dee jay to say.

so wow lots of work?

oh okay setting it up is work and takes time. but all the scripts are in the forum that i use and typing the task jobs up in the windows task scheduler is timely for the 400 playlists i have it change to and from. or the scripts to start and stop and do maint... but i did all that work yr's ago UMmm since 2003 or earlier. i even use karens replicator to do the backup of the songs and system to the usb drive of mine. yes it runs on timers the same as everything esle.

one little thing for you.

if you like something it is not work it is fun.

:D 8)

with 20 to 23 skins i made for mediamonkey you might say i like it and have fun using it. :)
well, the backup script is still hanging...

so what's the easiest way to backup my custom playlists?
if anything else, should i just copy/paste the mm.db file every month?
where is it?