Auto-Write the names of the playlists to the genre field?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

surfer

Auto-Write the names of the playlists to the genre field?

Post by surfer »

Hi!

I wonder if there is a possibility, maybe a script, to automatically write the names of the playlists to the genre field of the songs that are on them.
Josti

Post by Josti »

Is it too simple to select all files by genre and edit their genre tag by hand?
surfer

Post by surfer »

probably i have not put that the wright way.

I have about 50 playlists with some tracks on each of them and i add new tracks to them each day.

to write the names of the lists to the genre i'd have to click each list, select the tracks and write the name of the list to the genre field. after some days there are new tracks on each list and i'd have to do the whole procedure again for each of the 50 playlists.

thats why i look for an automatic way.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

@surfer
It's possible of corse, but
1. Which Playlist-Name should be added, if a track is in more than one Playlist?
2. Do you really want to take the Genre-Field. I think Custom1-3 is the better solution. Not?
SansaMonkey - for SanDisk Sansa and Rockbox Users

Please no PMs for Questions which should be asked in the Forum. Thx
surfer

Post by surfer »

@onkel_enno:

I need the genre field because i want to use those tracks in another software for DJ-ing.
Which Playlist-Name should be added, if a track is in more than one Playlist?
I did not think about it but this is, of course, an important point and i actually have the same tracks on different lists.

What would be the best way to go in that case?

What i basically want to achieve is to copy my tracks from the playlists into a structure of folders with the same names as the playlists.
I'd like to have them tagged as well in the genre field with the names of the playlists or folders (they are in after copying them there).

i do not see any problem in copying the same tracks 2 or 3 times to diferent folders if they are on different playlists.

So a solution would be to copy them first to the structure of folders named like the playlists(having some tracks in 2 or more folders) and tagging them in GENRE afterwards with the names of the folders they are in.

How could i achieve that? Or is there still a better way to go?
Last edited by surfer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well if you want a separate copy of the files, then the script can simply run through each playlists, copying the songs in it to the new location and tag them. This has the advantage of not changing the tags in any of your actual files, just the copied ones.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Bex

Post by Bex »

If your other software can use playlists, perhaps export all playlist feature/script could something to try?
Last edited by Bex on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfer

Post by surfer »

@trixmoto:

Yes, something like that...but because the tracks are put on a structure of playlist with sub-playlists and and new tracks will be added and all have wrong genre names...... it would be still better to have it the following way:

the script runs through the playlists/subplaylists,

- copying the songs to a structure of folders corresponding to the structure of the playlists and

- tags all tracks in genre except those tracks that already have the CORRECT genre,i.e. the name of the playlist (the latter thing necessary for each new run of the script in the future, for tracks added to playlists after running the script and having wrong tags in them) and

- deletes tracks in the folder structure that are not on the playlists any more
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It would be easier to purge the folder you are copying all the files to and starting again each time you ran the script.

Is it only the name of the playlist that the file is in that you want in the genre tag, or do you want the names of all the parent playlists as well?
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
surfer

Post by surfer »

I need the name of only the 1 playlist the tracks are on, no parents necessary.

But as for the purging and copying all again:

I need the tracks copied inte the new folder structure for use in another DJ software "Traktor" that stores other info in their ID3-tags like cuepoints, loops, stripes which is a lot of manual work.

So purging them the info would get lost.

If it's not possible to delete by the script those tracks from the new folders that are not on the playlists maybe it would be possible to copy in the future only the new added tracks without touching/overwriting those that were already copied in the past and are in the folder structure, i.e. only copy tracks that are not in the folder structure yet?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I can't imagine a way of deleting files not in the list, unless you had a function which recursed through your new tree structure and checked every file it found against the playlist. Suppose this is a possibility.

Is there a "date added to playlist" value stored for each track?
surfer

Post by surfer »

Thanks once more for your help!

But deleting would not be necessary, once copied the tracks can remain there, no problem with that.

But a BIG problem would be if tracks in the structure were overwritten by tracks with the same name on the futute run of the script.

So a good solution for each following run of the script were if the script could copy only new added tracks and let alone all those that are already in the folder structure.

There is no date of adding tracks to the playlists, i simply listen to the tracks in MM each day and put each one i need one by one on the playlists.
surfer

Post by surfer »

I have been thinking about it once more and i think the best solution would be what i originally posted for, i.e. a script copying the names of the playlists into the "GENRE".

In the case of a song on more than 1 playlists, it does not matter, it could be first playlist name or the last one to write into the genre.

I could than use the auto-sync with device function to copy the tracks into folders based on the name of the genre.

@trixmoto or others:
do you think a script like this possible?
Last edited by surfer on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes this is possible. Although I'm too busy to take this on myself at the moment. Sorry! :-?
surfer

Post by surfer »

No problem, i can fully understand :)

thanks once more!