same title different extensions -- only want one in playlist

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jennylynne

same title different extensions -- only want one in playlist

Post by jennylynne » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:00 pm

I have a library full of .m4a and .mp3 files. In most cases, but not all, there is a .mp3 for ever .m4a. However, there are quite a few .m4a files with no duplicate .mp3, and there are a ton of .mp3 files with no matching .m4a files.

What I want is to create a playlist that meets a certain criteria but also, only has one version in the list. So I'd like to be able to qualify that if a song has duplicates, it would pick one extension over the other. Since I haven't figured out how to tell the auto-playlist to eliminate duplicates, I suspect this is possibly not possible. ;)

Thanks for any advice in advance,
J.

Lowlander

Re: same title different extensions -- only want one in play

Post by Lowlander » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:23 am

This is not possible.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

rovingcowboy

Re: same title different extensions -- only want one in play

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:49 pm

It is only possible by the way I've said several times before in the forum. You must use codes in the custom field of your choice on every song then the rule has to be made to look for the code in the custom field. The code can be used as different ones for different formats. The rule would be looking for the code you choose to make the songs you want in the auto list to appear different from the same song of the different formats that you don't want in the list.

now said code can be any typed characters you want to use. But must be the same in each song you want to use the rule to include or exclude.
this is how I have been doing auto Playlist for the last 5 yrs or so. Yes it adds some strange data to the song file but it is the best way for excluding certain songs. I am aware of the long time to set up the codes on huge libraries and I feel for you but just remember I've been there.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.