Trigger Auto-Organise

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ryanafleming

Trigger Auto-Organise

Post by ryanafleming »

I have quite a few older files or some random files in general in my Music/Movie/Tv Show library that are not in their correct location. I have set up the rules to move the files automatically, but it seems that the rules will only be applied to files "during scans and edits" of it.

Is there any simple way to trigger a scan for these rules to automatically be applied. Or perhaps a script that already exists that does it for me?

This is of course to get around having to copy my rule into the manual Auto-Organise menu and apply it to my selected files.

Thanks ahead!
Click Here to see how Gullible you are.
MMFrLife

Re: Trigger Auto-Organise

Post by MMFrLife »

How did those files get out of the correct location?

Do you use "folder monitoring"?

Normally, you wouldn't need to special trigger the organizing process, as things aren't supposed to just up and go wrong.
So, things wouldn't need to be organized again until rescanned or added/fixed via monitoring.

Otherwise, MM would have to have a time based trigger, which I don't believe it does.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

ryanafleming wrote:I have quite a few older files or some random files in general in my Music/Movie/Tv Show library that are not in their correct location. I have set up the rules to move the files automatically, but it seems that the rules will only be applied to files "during scans and edits" of it.

Is there any simple way to trigger a scan for these rules to automatically be applied. Or perhaps a script that already exists that does it for me?

This is of course to get around having to copy my rule into the manual Auto-Organise menu and apply it to my selected files.

Thanks ahead!
the easiest way to move files would be to select the files you want to move (in mediamonkey) then ctrl-r. This brings up auto organize. Then put in the mask you want to use. For example I might use

O:\music 1-H\<artist> - <album> - <year>\<track#> - <title>

And this will move it from where ever it is to the o drive
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
ryanafleming

Post by ryanafleming »

Not sure how.

I know that the 3 movies I have here were already done before I created the rules.

Tv Shows on the other hand, I have had quite a few that this happen when changing the type from video to TV that just appear in the wrong location.

When I import new tv shows they get relabelled (annoyingly). Majority of the time these get relabeled the name appears the same for each of the files that were added. I think this is done because it takes the Season number and episode directly from the title. and just removes this from name.

So when I finally add these files in they fall under "Movies" and follow its rules. "MovName [year]". MM realises many of these have the same name so it relabels them (1), (2), (3) etc. So when I finally change the type to TV Show after import, it moves the files across and applies the new rules. "series seas ep epname" and looses a lot of the files, not renaming them into the correct format and holds them at the "epname (1)" "epname (2)" "epname (3)" etc. Thus when I go to watch them again they either don't hold proper file tags and still work or MM believes they are actually at that location with the correctly tagged name but the file wasn't change from "ep (3)".

I think this is what has been happening.

MM Gold 4.1.4.1709
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I find that TV eps are always confused with Video and so when it is importing it tries to apply video rules. I am sure that there is some way to correct this but I haven't found it AND after so much time it is simpler to find a process that works for me.
For example, when I rip a tv disc it has say four eps. I name the eps like this

nnn - Series - SnnEnn - Year - title.xyz

First bit is the series # (sequential from start of series)
Second .. series name
Third both Season # and Episode #
Fourth the year (don't currently care about exact date)
and finally the title of the episode.

So I rip my disc into a folder then go in and modify. If i am doing a large series I use Bulk-Rename. It is a great tool. If just doing say 1 disk i will just use PowerDesk (instead of explorer).

So once the files are how I want them I copy.paste them their folder(s) which is being watched by MMW. Again MMW will think they are Video/films. I select them all then Ctrl-Q to rename and use the mask I have set up for Tv Eps

<srs#> - <series> - S<season#>E<episode#> - <year> - <title>

Note .. srs# is really customer 5 that i have setup for this purpose.

Once they are correctly 'imported' i then shift-enter for properties .. set them for TV then F5 and things are all set.

Like I said I bet that there is a way to get MMW to import correctly in the first place .. but after a while .. a work-around saves time. Probably why many of the MMW people on the board always suggest work-arounds instead of fixes. You get used to what what your tool can do and figure new ways to make it do more :)
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
ryanafleming

Post by ryanafleming »

To correctly import them as "Type Tv Show" you actually have to manually set the genre to TV Show in the file, then import them. MM then places it under Tv Show and removes the Genre I believe.
Generally speaking though I prefer to keep the genre as is because I like to know whether it is a thriller, rom/com etc. So we may need to get hold a script that does this for us at some stage.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

ryanafleming wrote:To correctly import them as "Type Tv Show" you actually have to manually set the genre to TV Show in the file, then import them. MM then places it under Tv Show and removes the Genre I believe.
Generally speaking though I prefer to keep the genre as is because I like to know whether it is a thriller, rom/com etc. So we may need to get hold a script that does this for us at some stage.
I haven't noticed it removing genre and will try that. If it does that is a BUG.
I asked in the scripts area if I could talk someone into making a script that when importing an ep it would set a bunch of defaults from the last one .. offered a little cash but no one responded.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
ryanafleming

Post by ryanafleming »

Time to learn some basic scripting ;)
Lowlander